Subaru Outback Forums banner

2002 Outback vibration

6K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Waldo 13 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited with 112,000 miles. Engine runs smooth in neutral or park. As soon as I put the transmission in drive or reverse (car not moving), a vibration appears. Not very noticable when ramping up speed, but while cruising and lightly applying acceleration, it is quite noticable. Two dealer garages think nothing is wrong and transmission garage says it is definitely not a transmission problem.

Had head gaskets replaced 6,000 miles back, including all belts(yes, timing belt also). Replaced front axles recently. It seemed to worsen then, although I truly feel this has evolved over the last 30,000 miles or so.

Any idea what this problem is or what I could look for?

Jim

#3 ·
At over 100,000 miles, your due for a tuneup (though that may not solve the issue).

There are quite a few posts on a few sites with complaints of vibration at idle after chainging axles. For the life of me i can't make a connection, BUT ......
Look at the tranny mount. Inspect the other motor mounts. Some how in my mind i can make that connection, but I dont want to be laughed at in public :p

I've had both my axles replaced, but they were replaced with sooby axles, so i never had this issue.

nipper

#4 ·
nipper said:
At over 100,000 miles, your due for a tuneup (though that may not solve the issue).

There are quite a few posts on a few sites with complaints of vibration at idle after chainging axles. For the life of me i can't make a connection, BUT ......
Look at the tranny mount. Inspect the other motor mounts. Some how in my mind i can make that connection, but I dont want to be laughed at in public :p

I've had both my axles replaced, but they were replaced with sooby axles, so i never had this issue.

nipper
Mine is making the same noise's. I am leaning towards the motor mounts and the pitching stopper located on top pf the engine and attached to the firewall. I did move the pitching stopper and it changed how it vibrates.

#5 ·
I've long suspected the pitch stopper and the tranny mount, but i cant quite orate why.

One of those gut feelings. I feel that the old axles had a lot of slop in them. As the motor mounts age, they get soft, sloppy, and may have actually failed (tranny mount).. SInce there is enough slop in the cv joints, this vibration does not get transmitted to the car, since the engine is essentially "floating" on its mounts. With one or two new axles, this slop is now gone, and it is the only part of the driveline that is not supported by rubber. (the rear axle is far enough away that it has no effect aside from an occasional clunk). Since the engine now has a tight (rigid) mechanical attachment, the engines vibrations can now be felt by the operator. It is more obvious with a manual, since the automatic is operated by a cable.

did that make sense?

nipper

#6 ·
That's possible; the whole thing does seem odd. All I know is there have been many such posts. Anecdotally, there was one recently where someone told me they developed that vibration stopped in drive or reverse after putting in aftermarket rebuilt front axles, so they replaced them with new OEM axles ($$$) and the problem was gone.

#7 ·
porcupine73 said:
That's possible; the whole thing does seem odd. All I know is there have been many such posts. Anecdotally, there was one recently where someone told me they developed that vibration stopped in drive or reverse after putting in aftermarket rebuilt front axles, so they replaced them with new OEM axles ($$$) and the problem was gone.
and that kills my theory, somewhat. I would love to get three axles. The original, the aftermarket, and the OE and see what the differnces are. I bet there is a part in the OE axle, that the rebuilder didnt think was important, and decided to leave it out for cost.

Aftermarket doesnt really test parts on running cars (especially in China).

nipper

#10 ·
The axles I purchased from Napa are 100% new. What is making it hard for me is, the vibration stops and comes back. Since I moved the pitching stopper it doesn't do it all the time now. I just need some more time to find it. Even if I have to rebuild the car :D Just kidding, I can gear the rattle some times when I turn the car off. Some times when I start it. Only slightly, but I can hear it. The motor mounts and tranny mount are intact but do show some signs for movement and wear. There are steel stoppers made into the mounts to keep them together in the event of failure. I'm hopping this the the problem and will be solved soon. My wife thinks I bought a piece of junk. I like my car!:)

#11 ·
I have used the aftermarket front drive shaft once which was recommended by the dealer which lasted 40k l replaced it with a subaru shaft , the other side has had a rebuild on the inner viscosity and since had a change over shaft which is a rebuild genuine subaru shaft with a 2year warranty. I have asked the question about rebuilding aftermarket shafts they said to many different types of parts and poor quality material we just don’t go there, the company l use just special in drive / tail shafts and say subaru is amongst his best customers, that is nice to know :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.