Subaru Outback Forums banner

Buzzing when starting car

19K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  DJStacker 
#1 ·
Just as I am turning the ignition key to start the 2003 2.5 Outback, there is a buzzing noise from the dash area. Anyone heard this kind of noise or know what it might be?
The noise goes away as the car starts, but I wonder if it is something going bad.

Thanks for any help.

JimJ57

#6 ·
When I pull in to park my car, if I then turn off the climate control system, there is a bit of a whirring or buzzing sounds, like a motor close a damper or door of sorts, in the dash.

If you turn off the ignition key before it completes, when you re-start the car, the closing cycle completes, and maybe this is the sound you are hearing.

Do you turn off your ACC then immediately turn the key off?

Another option might be the duty C solenoid from under the center of the car. It makes a buzzing sound when the key is turned on. But not really from the dash area.

#7 ·
JimJ57 said:
Just as I am turning the ignition key to start the 2003 2.5 Outback, there is a buzzing noise from the dash area. Anyone heard this kind of noise or know what it might be?
The noise goes away as the car starts, but I wonder if it is something going bad.

Thanks for any help.

JimJ57
This is going to take two people to trace. It can be a chattering relay, the HVAC, but i doubt the duty C. The duty C would be heard outside the car, so you can rule that one out quickly by listnening outside under the car.

Is your seatbelt chime operating?

nipper

#8 ·
Had a new symptom show up today, as I was starting the car it buzzed, then the car alarm went off. I used the keyless clicker to stop the alarm, then the car started properly.

I don't believe the seat belt chime is working! Could that point to something?

The buzzing happens when I have the belt on and starting the car. I have waited for all the systems to connect before turning the key to start, but it still will buzz.

Thanks again for all the help.

#11 ·
Well not so fast. You have battery, you have the cables, you have the ignition switch, and the draw from the starter.

Load test the new battery to make sure its still good. Use one of the older analog load testers. They also do cranking volts. I have no faith in the digital meters, as with my car they kept saying my charging system "passed", but i still needed an altenator (they put the wrong one in).

If you turn the car "on" without starting it do you get the same buzzing, or do you have to start the car to get it.

nipper

#13 ·
porcupine73 said:
Here's a 100amp load tester you can get from harbor freight for not too much cash outlay when on sale; seems to work fine but phewww gets HOT after 10 seconds load, but hey it's like a toaster, 100amp@12V is 1200 watts.

Thats what i have, its essentially a big resistor. I trust those far more then the digitasl ones. The digital ones test the altenaotr, and not so much the charging system as a whole.

nipper

#14 ·
I am now thinking the buzzing is coming from the ignition switch. If I move the key from ON to Start real slow I can make it buzz. I think it is something making a poor contact.

Is it hard to replace an ignition switch, or is it a dealer item?

Thanks,

Jim

#16 ·
Do you feel a vibration in the key itself?

This might sound crazy, but try laying on the floor with your legs hanging out like you're working under the dash, then turn the switch and listen for a sound you can locate.

If you are blinded by a shower of sparks, this board does not carry liability insurance so take your lawsuit straight to SOA.

:25:

#17 ·
The_Lizard said:
Do you feel a vibration in the key itself?

This might sound crazy, but try laying on the floor with your legs hanging out like you're working under the dash, then turn the switch and listen for a sound you can locate.

If you are blinded by a shower of sparks, this board does not carry liability insurance so take your lawsuit straight to SOA.

:25:
Yes, a buzzing electrical switch is a very very very bad thing. Make sure you have fire and theft on the car.

nipper

#18 ·
We have been traveling and found it hard to get on the internet. We are home for one night, before leaving on a three day trip tomorrow morning. I tried the under the dash test, and didn't hear the buzzing or see sparks, but did hear a relay click in, so I sat in the seat and depressed the clutch and moved the key slowly to the start position. Just before the start position, the buzzing started, and I could feel the relay chatering. It is just below the steering shaft, and just above the cover under the dash near the knees. Any ideal what the relay is? I will pull the cover when we get home later in the week to trace which relay is buzzing.

Thanks again so much for all the help.

Jim J

#21 ·
I replaced the ignition switch and have tested it many times and the relay chatter has stopped. No more buzzing.

Special thanks to Nipper and Lizard, you were right about the switch. I would have changed the main relay first. I was supprised to see that the main relay was a Nissan relay!

Have a great day,

Jim

#23 ·
I learned from this experiance that there is an electrical switch that is connected to the back of the Key cylinder. The electrical switch is activated by the end of the key. To change the electrical switch requires removing the top and bottom covers on the steering column and the lower cover on the dash board near the knee area. So replacing the switch allows you to continue to use the same key. The whole process took about an hour. A safety note, the battery must be disconnected to disarm the air bag, and be careful of the very sharp edges of the steel bracket that hold the relay. I removed the bracket to prevent getting cut, then reinstalled it after the switch is replaced.

Hope this helps,

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.