Fog Lights Upgrade - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Toronto, ON
Car: 2010 Outback 2.5
Posts: 174
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fog Lights Upgrade

Does anyone knows if there are aftermarket Fog Lights for 2010-2012 Outbacks?
What I'm trying to achieve is to replace useless stock fog lights in the bumper. They don't give any light further then 10 meters, so one can use them only on the parking lot where speed is bellow 10 km/h.
I'd like to find a way to replace them with some aftermarket lights. This can be some sort of bigger round lights like PIAA 520 or Hella 500 or similar, but I don't see how those can be fitted without pods to the stock bumper.

Is there any solution out on the market? Did someone tried anything?
AlexJet is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Registered User
 
jogosub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Rolling Hills/PV-CA displaced in NW Florida.
Car: 2005 3.0 R LLBean 4Dr Wagon
Posts: 4,953
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJet View Post
Does anyone knows if there are aftermarket Fog Lights for 2010-2012 Outbacks?
What I'm trying to achieve is to replace useless stock fog lights in the bumper. They don't give any light further then 10 meters, so one can use them only on the parking lot where speed is bellow 10 km/h.
I'd like to find a way to replace them with some aftermarket lights. This can be some sort of bigger round lights like PIAA 520 or Hella 500 or similar, but I don't see how those can be fitted without pods to the stock bumper.

Is there any solution out on the market? Did someone tried anything?
Put a 100W hyper-yellow Nokya (or other brand) bulb there with heavy duty harness with ceramic socket - problem solved!

Quidquid agis, prudenter agas et respice finem.
jogosub is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Toronto, ON
Car: 2010 Outback 2.5
Posts: 174
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogosub View Post
Put a 100W hyper-yellow Nokya (or other brand) bulb there with heavy duty harness with ceramic socket - problem solved!
1. Where can I find upgraded harness?

2. Would it solve the problem? One of the problems is the light pattern, its just too close to the vehicle. Do the fog lights have adjustment for up/down/side?
AlexJet is offline  
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Registered User
 
rasterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: PA
Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited
Posts: 7,956
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJet View Post
Does anyone knows if there are aftermarket Fog Lights for 2010-2012 Outbacks?
What I'm trying to achieve is to replace useless stock fog lights in the bumper. They don't give any light further then 10 meters, so one can use them only on the parking lot where speed is bellow 10 km/h.
I'd like to find a way to replace them with some aftermarket lights. This can be some sort of bigger round lights like PIAA 520 or Hella 500 or similar, but I don't see how those can be fitted without pods to the stock bumper.

Is there any solution out on the market? Did someone tried anything?
Sounds like they are working perfectly, and you are misunderstanding their purpose. The whole point of fog lights is to cast a flat, wide beam on the road right in front of you so you can safely move at low speeds in heavy fog. The idea is that it is better than not moving at all.

It sounds like you want driving lights, which cast a much narrower beam and are typically aimed much further out. I don't know if anyone makes replacements that fit the outback bumper, but there are plenty of choices in generic add-on driving lights, and some are excellent quality.

A bulb swap won't help- the beam shape is determined mostly by the reflector and somewhat by the lens.

XRT Tune in the works...
Hexmods F1 Performance Valve Body
2005-2009 Suspension Improvements
How to put a Modern Stereo in your 2005-2009 Outback with Automatic Climate Control
Did you know your 2005-2009 Outback has a built-in diagnostic scanner?
rasterman is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Toronto, ON
Car: 2010 Outback 2.5
Posts: 174
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasterman View Post
Sounds like they are working perfectly, and you are misunderstanding their purpose. The whole point of fog lights is to cast a flat, wide beam on the road right in front of you so you can safely move at low speeds in heavy fog. The idea is that it is better than not moving at all.

It sounds like you want driving lights, which cast a much narrower beam and are typically aimed much further out. I don't know if anyone makes replacements that fit the outback bumper, but there are plenty of choices in generic add-on driving lights, and some are excellent quality.

A bulb swap won't help- the beam shape is determined mostly by the reflector and somewhat by the lens.
I perfectly understand the purpose of the fog lights. But they do not have to light up the road just in front of your bumper. They suppose to give the light out for 100 or something meters.
I also understand that most manufactures playing safe and make things, so they will pass all regulations with a spare margin. None of the cars I owed had good fog lights. Most of them had adjuster to adjust them up/down and sideways. Not sure if Subaru allows it. So far my search didn't bring anything.
Generally speaking I'd love to put bigger lights, kind of like Outback used to have before as they look much better then those tiny spots.
AlexJet is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Registered User
 
jogosub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Rolling Hills/PV-CA displaced in NW Florida.
Car: 2005 3.0 R LLBean 4Dr Wagon
Posts: 4,953
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJet View Post
1. Where can I find upgraded harness?

2. Would it solve the problem? One of the problems is the light pattern, its just too close to the vehicle. Do the fog lights have adjustment for up/down/side?
1. Depending on your bulb, you can get those on Amazon... like this one:
Amazon.com: iJDMTOY 9005 9145 HB3 H10 Heavy Duty Ceramic Wiring Harness Sockets For Headlights or Fog Lights: Automotive Amazon.com: iJDMTOY 9005 9145 HB3 H10 Heavy Duty Ceramic Wiring Harness Sockets For Headlights or Fog Lights: Automotive

2. You can adjust fog lights - but - with added wattage, you will not need to do that!

With above modification, you will be happy - trust me! I have done it on all my 4 Subarus so far...

Quidquid agis, prudenter agas et respice finem.
jogosub is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Toronto, ON
Car: 2010 Outback 2.5
Posts: 174
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogosub View Post
1. Depending on your bulb, you can get those on Amazon... like this one:
Amazon.com: iJDMTOY 9005 9145 HB3 H10 Heavy Duty Ceramic Wiring Harness Sockets For Headlights or Fog Lights: Automotive

2. You can adjust fog lights - but - with added wattage, you will not need to do that!

With above modification, you will be happy - trust me! I have done it on all my 4 Subarus so far...
The harness on your link is just a couple centimeters long with ceramic plug. I can see it takes out the heat issue on the plug, but what about wire gauging. Adding 100W bulb would increase the current from 4.5A (per 55W bulb) to 8.3A (per 100W bulb). Original wires are small, I beleive within 20-22ga.
AlexJet is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Car: 2007 2.5i Outback Silver over Gray
Posts: 8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Higher wattage bulbs can be a large drain on your wiring and electrical system over time. Just get a decent HID kit (whatever color, i have Yellow 3000K) and install that instead of higher wattage bulbs. HIDS run at a more efficient 35W and are much , MUCH brighter than high wattage bulbs-No harness necessary.
The hardest part of the install is where to plae the ballast, other than that, its plug and play.
blueraj is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Toronto, ON
Car: 2010 Outback 2.5
Posts: 174
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Does anyone has pictorial or any instruction for fog light adjustment?
I can't find them anywhere...
AlexJet is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 03:15 PM
Registered User
 
Budaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA
Car: 2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
Posts: 748
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
here are the instructions for a '13 OB, which may be helpful
Attached Files
File Type: pdf fog light assy.pdf (443.7 KB, 90 views)

Budaru
Curt hitch & pwr, puddle lights, SuperTone & Fiamm horns, ProClip iPhone holder, interior LEDs, shock sensor, 19mm RSB, Illumination Kit, 50% tint front windows, hot-wired 2 acc outlets, Philips 8 LED DRLs, gate lift handle, rear fog lights, Konig wheels, clear bra, rain sensing wipers, sunroof visor, 1 touch turns, FX-R bi-xenon HIDs, chrome exh tips, Escort, black grill, LED hi beams, all LED tail lights, air horn, dash cam, high intensity LED fogs
Budaru is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome