oil level after change - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2014 Outback 2.5i Premium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil level after change

I had the OB's first oil change at the dealer this morning after 2200 miles. When I got back, I checked the oil level and have been checking it as it cools down. The level is about 1/2 inch over the max according to the stick.

I called the service tech at the dealer. He told me that the level has to be checked with the engine running...??????? I have NEVER heard that. I think he's full of it.

Before I go and drain some of it out, I thought I'd check in here. What think Ye?

Our babies:
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i (Ice Silver metallic)
2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium black on black and blacked out.

Live like there ain't no death!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

I just looked at the service ticket. They put in 6 qts of oil instead of the 5 that is specified. Do I drain some out? I'm tempted and a little ticked!...

Our babies:

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 06:16 PM

Car: 2013 Limited 2.5 Hole in roof
RTFM.
Read the f'in manual. It tells you how to do it. I think it will contradict the dealer here. If it does, the manual is right and the dealer is wrong.

If there is a quart too much in there, it could foam. Not real good, not real bad either, but I would take it back, but not lose sleep or avoid driving it.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelipke View Post
RTFM.
Read the f'in manual.
I did RTFM. The manual is where I got the capacity and level checking info. Cheeze!

Our babies:

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 06:24 PM

Then the FM is the correct way to check the oil level, and your dealer is FW.
(F'n Wrong)
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 06:30 PM

Car: 2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
Hah...yes, checking the oil level while the engine is running is WRONG. Example 1 why to avoid the dealerships: they either lie or are incompetent.

I don't mean to point out the obvious, but did you follow the standard protocol for checking the oil level (level surface, let idle for 1 minute, turn off and let sit for 1 minute, pull out dip stick, wipe off, reinsert, then pull out again to check level)?

And to show that I'm not totally biased against dealerships, it's possible that the 6qts on the service ticket is because the pan can take slightly over 5qts (I usually put in 5.1). I find it unlikely that a dealership would have that attention to detail though...Example 2 why to avoid dealerships: DIY and you know it's done right

R o b _D.
Current car: 2013 TB/BC Subaru Outback, 2.5i Premium 6mt
Before you start a new thread, please search first! Learn how here.
This is my Outback.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 06:39 PM

ATFD?
Avoid The F'n Dealership?
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 06:41 PM

Car: 2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
Some dealers have been overfilling as a way to avoid customer complaints about consumption. Take it back, demand that they get the level corrected. Then, send a note to the sales guy explaining why you will not be bringing your car to them for regular service.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO River View Post
I don't mean to point out the obvious, but did you follow the standard protocol for checking the oil level (level surface, let idle for 1 minute, turn off and let sit for 1 minute, pull out dip stick, wipe off, reinsert, then pull out again to check level)?
LOL! I've been changing my own oil and looking at dipsticks for over 40 years. YES, I know how to do it. But you have no way of knowing that just by reading a stupid post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO River View Post
And to show that I'm not totally biased against dealerships, it's possible that the 6qts on the service ticket is because the pan can take slightly over 5qts (I usually put in 5.1). I find it unlikely that a dealership would have that attention to detail though...Example 2 why to avoid dealerships: DIY and you know it's done right
I could believe your rationale about the 6 qts, but the high level on the dipstick tells the story. It has 6 qts!

I've already posted a complaint to the dealer about the overfilling and the stupid response I got from the adviser. With the car came free oil changes for the 1st 20K miles. I still wish I could do it by myself, but they were clear about the warranty requirements which included their changes. I was gonna take some oil out this evening, but it might be best to see how they respond to my complaint. I'd better leave it alone 'till then.

Our babies:

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 07:22 PM

Car: 2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieHick View Post
LOL! I've been changing my own oil and looking at dipsticks for over 40 years. YES, I know how to do it. But you have no way of knowing that just by reading a stupid post.

I could believe your rationale about the 6 qts, but the high level on the dipstick tells the story. It has 6 qts!

I've already posted a complaint to the dealer about the overfilling and the stupid response I got from the adviser. With the car came free oil changes for the 1st 20K miles. I still wish I could do it by myself, but they were clear about the warranty requirements which included their changes. I was gonna take some oil out this evening, but it might be best to see how they respond to my complaint. I'd better leave it alone 'till then.
If they told you that the original Subaru warranty is void if they do not perform the regular maintenance, they are lying just as the service advisor was when he told you to check the oil with it running.

As long as you keep your receipts and records, you can have anyone do the work, or do it yourself. Half of the stuff on the maintenance list is charged for by the dealer, but never performed. And that is giving them the benefit of the doubt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: