Ratcheting sound from right front - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-18-2013, 05:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2013 2.5i Outback Limited CVT auto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Ratcheting sound from right front

So first off it does it with the traction control on or off.
I have on several occasions been hearing a ratcheting sound coming from the right front when in snow, mud, or sand while accelerating to get through it.
Anyone else have this happen?
wk4036 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Limited 2.5 Hole in roof

Yes. It is your traction control using the ABS system to keep a tire(s) from spinning. If it is doing it with the TC off, it isn't off. Bad Switch?
mikelipke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2013 2.5i Outback Limited CVT auto

Thanks for the reply, will recheck
wk4036 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium

LOL, I got the same from mine with the TC off yesterday. I think I hit the "you may have turned off the TC but you're driving like a real idiot so I'll help you out" limit. It was DEFINITELY harder to get the system to "help" with the TC off but it still did try. Of course, I did this on a road with no other traffic and actually did feel in control despite the computer's thought to the contrary.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelipke View Post
Yes. It is your traction control using the ABS system to keep a tire(s) from spinning. If it is doing it with the TC off, it isn't off. Bad Switch?
Traction control is always on - VDC elements get reduced or turned off. Meaning cutting your throttle to prevent excessive wheel spin is reduced when you turn the system off with the switch.

Traction control is wanted at all times given this involves using the brake system to slow spinning tires say for example the right side of the car is in a low spot and sitting on ice left side tires are on solid ground- the TC will brake the right side tires and the mechanical results is more power pushed to the left side tires. The ABS system is used by TC to do this.

VDC or vehicle dynamic control involves more throttle control ie reduction and is intended to do things that help a vehicle at speed - stay right side up, stay pointed in the desired direction etc. The advanced capability of newer VDC systems even help with over steer by putting brake pressure on the inside front tire to help correct over steer when someone plows into a corner going too fast.

VDC turned off allows the car to spin tires more and allows for more power to be sent to spinning tires for things like getting out of a snowed in parking lot, scrambling up a slick driveway or driving in sand or mud all cases where the TC system is still very much needed to help push power to tires that have grip and limit wheel spin on the tires that lack grip.

You guys are mixing two systems and their intended designed function together.

ABS will always work with VDC on or off. TC will always work with VDC on or off.

Some aspects of VDC will still exist even when turned off - for instance the car will not let you just spin tires to the red line with VDC turned off a few auto makers learned that there are plenty of stupid people who will do that to the point that a tire explodes and even catches fire!!!! Mercedes had a woman do that in an R series and turn it into a pretty major well known lawsuit.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2013 3.6R SAP BBP Outback

I'm about to drive north into a winter storm, so I took the time to look up some VDC info. Here's a video from Subaru that shows the VDC system in operation.

SUBARU | Subaru Technology | Vehicle Dynamics Control System

I've not been able to confirm, with either my owner's manual or from info on official Subaru web sites, that traction control remains on even when the VDC switch is off. I'll go figure that out myself real-world with my '13.
Sandroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: