Bluetooth and Tablet connection - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-19-2014, 01:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Bluetooth and Tablet connection

I have an old flip phone and it connects to my 2014 OB 2.5 (basic model) perfectly via bluetooth. It happens automatically whenever I turn on the ignition.

I also have a tablet (Nexus 7 - 2013 model). I use it for streaming music through bluetooth. The problem is that the tablet does not connect automatically to my Subaru's bluetooth. I have to go into my tablet's settings, choose bluetooth, then select the bluetooth device (I named it Subaru) and connect manually each time I start the ignition.

Why does my phone connect automatically and my tablet doesn't? In my old car, I had installed an Alpine bluetooth module where both my phone and tablet connected automatically with the ignition. Really want to do the same with this car. It's kind of a pain to connect bluetooth manually every time.

And to make matters worse, on most occasions, my tablet's bluetooth won't connect on the first try. I have to try to connect 3-4 times until it actually connects. Once connected, it works fine.

Any help or advice is appreciated!
HamDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2014 2.5i Limited Special Appearance Outback, white pearl, saddle brown leather. Eyesight, Nav, HK radio

You should have a setting on the tablet to auto connect to available bluetooth, or something similiar. The car may also see a conflict between the phone and tablet, not sure what settings are there as I just use a phone.
2014Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2014, 02:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ya, most people use a single smart phone for both calls and music. I'm the exception. Can't find any auto connect settings for bluetooth on my Nexus tablet. Weird how it connected automatically to my old Alpine.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Doc

Car: 2013 Outback 3.6R Auto with Isight

its the car it connects to the first one on the list all others have to be done manually from my experience

Mods: Airaid dry filter, Wolo air horn 118 Decibels 530 / 680 Hz painted black, front license plate cover (stealth), anti rattle license plate kit rear, rsb upgrade

Past Cars:
2004 Dodge ram 1500 QC 5.7L Hemi(traded for Subi)(only owner)
2008 Infiniti G37S(lost in the big D still paying for it)
2008 Scion TC
2000 Dodge Intrepid
Saturn SC2
Saturn SL
1987 Dodge Ram 50 (x2)
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2014, 04:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: '13 Outback Limited 2.5i, Venetian Red Pearl w/Wheel arch moldings, EyeSight, Nav, Moonroof, Puddle lights, Remote start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
its the car it connects to the first one on the list all others have to be done manually from my experience

I'm not sure about the HU in the base model, but that isn't the case with the Fujitsu Ten/Aha HU in my 2013 Limited. Both the phone and audio device pairing setups are separate, and ever since the first connection (after I checked the "Don't ask again" checkbox) both connect for me automatically on my Samsung Galaxy S4. If I wanted to, I could change the audio device to a different device altogether and have that automatically connect.
bsbd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Interesting. Any way to view this list and change the order on the car stereo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbd View Post
I'm not sure about the HU in the base model, but that isn't the case with the Fujitsu Ten/Aha HU in my 2013 Limited. Both the phone and audio device pairing setups are separate, and ever since the first connection (after I checked the "Don't ask again" checkbox) both connect for me automatically on my Samsung Galaxy S4. If I wanted to, I could change the audio device to a different device altogether and have that automatically connect.
But both of those services (phone and audio) are on the same device for you (the Galaxy S4). I have two separate devices, I think that makes a difference.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: '13 Outback Limited 2.5i, Venetian Red Pearl w/Wheel arch moldings, EyeSight, Nav, Moonroof, Puddle lights, Remote start

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbd View Post
If I wanted to, I could change the audio device to a different device altogether and have that automatically connect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamDog View Post
But both of those services (phone and audio) are on the same device for you (the Galaxy S4). I have two separate devices, I think that makes a difference.

As I said, they do happen to be on the same device for me, but there are two separate setups in the HU settings menu ("Phone" and "Audio Device") and two separate BT connection requests being initiated from the HU when it boots.

I don't know if the base model HU has separate setups or not, that's why I pointed out how this might not apply in your case.
bsbd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2014, 08:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2014 Outback 2.5i 6MT Carbide Gray

My base model seems to only support one BT device at a time and I have to use the menu to selet a different device. I don't think it's even a first come, first serve thing. I think it uses the last device it was paired to, unless you change it. I've got a Galaxy S3, which I use most of the time in the car and an iPhone 5 that is a work phone. I can also run audio from the iphone over the USB port rather than bluetooth.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dant98 View Post
My base model seems to only support one BT device at a time and I have to use the menu to selet a different device. I don't think it's even a first come, first serve thing. I think it uses the last device it was paired to, unless you change it. I've got a Galaxy S3, which I use most of the time in the car and an iPhone 5 that is a work phone. I can also run audio from the iphone over the USB port rather than bluetooth.
My base model can and does handle two bluetooth devices simultaneously. Both my phone and tablet are connected when I shut off the car, so it can't be that it pairs with the last device since both were in use.

I learned something new today. I can start the connection directly from the car stereo. Before, I was starting the connection from my tablet, which sometimes took several tries. It seem if I start the connection from the car stereo (go into menu settings), it connects on the first try.

But I'd still like it to happen automatically!
Old 02-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2014 Outback 2.5 Premium

I have a 14 Premium, I set my iPhone 5 up as 'audio device' right from the start and it works for music or phone no problem.
thegweed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: