Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/)
-   Gen 4: 2010-2014 (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-2014/)
-   -   Deep snow... Forester or Outback? (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-2014/20113-deep-snow-forester-outback.html)

cleansubaru 08-29-2009 10:21 PM

no real big difference. both mob out in it. auto is easier, but i love the manual.(disclamer;both older, so no say on new technology)

freak 08-29-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cleansubaru
both mob out in it.
Is that good or bad? :8:

Hakkapeliitta 08-30-2009 01:56 AM

No worries about the AWD tech differencies. Its the tires and transmission that makes the snow driving easy (asuming that both cars have Subaru AWD & good ground clearance).

Manual transmission can be a pain on a deep snow. But it can also help. If yuore stuck and need to rock forth & back, a/t wont be able to do that.

All the traction you can get comes from the tires. Especially on a deep snow this is important.

I have OB diesel w/ manual transmission. Its amzing how capable it is on a snow. The only downside is too long 1st gear and the lack of low end (below 1200rpm) torq. The AWD system works perfect.

tirolerpeter 08-30-2009 09:24 AM

As someone who has driven in every possible snow condition on many kinds of tires for 46 winters using both AT. and MT vehicles, my vote is for a MT. While I am new to AWD, I can compare the performance in snow of the stock Potenzas (used from Jan - Aplril of 68) with a full set of Blizzak Revo 1's (used from Nov 68 - April 69). REAL snow tires make a huge difference. I simply don't like the level of "free-wheeling" that coming off the throttle of an AT produces despite using a manually selected lower gear. I also don't like the lag and jerk that an AT downshift creates when selecting a lower gear in very slippery conditions. I have always felt that AT's shift how and when they want, not when I want it. A nice smooth double clutch downshift results in a non-jarring engagement with less likelihood of inducing wheel slippage just when it is most critical. Of course, as an "old timer" I have found that very few drivers today are both comfortable (and competent) at manual gear changes.

'05 Outback 2.5i 08-30-2009 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by tirolerpeter
As someone who has driven in every possible snow condition on many kinds of tires for 46 winters using both AT. and MT vehicles, my vote is for a MT....

Of course, as an "old timer" I have found that very few drivers today are both comfortable (and competent) at manual gear changes.

And I thought I was the only one left who loved my manual transmission cars :5: , but I guess I may be approaching 'old timer' status as well :(

nipper 08-30-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by '05 Outback2.5i

And I thought I was the only one left who loved my manual transmission cars :5:

I do but my left leg doesnt.

nipper

tirolerpeter 08-30-2009 12:40 PM

Quote:

And I thought I was the only one left who loved my manual transmission cars :5: , but I guess I may be approaching 'old timer' status as well :(

Not only do I not like AT's but my wife won't own or drive one since she "stole" the brand new BMW 2002 we bought at the factory on a European trip. Shortly after we returned her Pontiac was totaled and I lost the BMW to her. She currently drives a nice Civic with the 5 spd MT. She even hates to drive on trips because all rentals are AT's.

Juan 08-30-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by nipper
People have been drving in deep snow just fine long before traction control. The manual is just a different system then the auto, but it is perfectly fine.
+1
Quote:

What it comes down to is not which is better, but the tires. You need 4 snow tires and the car will go anywhere in the deep stuff. With non snow tires in deep snow you can get just as stuck as anyone else if you don't know how to drive.

nipper

If you don't know how to drive snow tires and 4wd only lets you get stuck in more difficult places. :4:

(I of course learned this lesson back when I was learning how to drive my first 4wd truck. :8: )

freak 08-30-2009 04:42 PM

Quote:

I\'m not an old timer and I love the mt. Right now I have a 69 F250, 95 Avenger, 94 Mustang GT, 00 Explorer, 09 Legacy... all with MT. Trying to get the wife to get an 10 Outback with MT. She wants a 7/8 passenger though. I\'d even take a Tribeca if it came with the MT.

07OregonOutback 08-30-2009 05:22 PM

I know when I hit too deep of snow and got buried up to my axles my car freaked out and set all sorts of traction codes then I had to be yanked out. So it depends on how much of a difference of ground clearance, the tires you have, and how deep the snow is.