Yakima & Thule Roof Cargo Box Thread - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
post #1 of 401 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5i Premium Carbide Gray
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yakima & Thule Roof Cargo Box Thread

Here are pics of my 2010 Outback with Yakima SkyBox Pro 16s Titanium. Fits perfect.

Titanium color doesnt quite match my Steel Silver but looks better than the lighter silver imo. Dimensions: 16 cubic feet (81” x 36” x 15”) Link to specs on Yakima.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 401 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 09:44 PM

Car: 2008 Subaru Outback 2.5i-Auto. 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT Premium, Cypress Green
No. It looks good. Two tone impression. Yakima is famous stuff. Bet you'll get a lot of use out of that.

post #3 of 401 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 08:37 AM

Car: 2013 Limited w/EyeSight
Hmmm.... That photo makes me wonder how our Rocket Box (long) will fit, but that makes this all the more valuable while we shop for cars.

I have to admit that the rack on this car is a concern where I don't see how I can get utility and value of all of our rack items (bars, attachments). Yakima customer service said their current products limit the bar spread to 21 inches.

Thank you.

post #4 of 401 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 05:39 PM

Car: 2010, 2.5i Prem CVT
I'm in the market for one of these puppies. Thankyou creso, the 16 fits beautifully. Yakima now has the 2010 OB in their 'fit my car' feature and by the looks of it any of the boxes will technically fit with the disclaimer about interference with the rear hatch. Interference would not please me at all.

From the pics it looks like the 18 would just about work -- an inch or two on the back end should clear the spoiler but not foul the glass.

But, is there any need to go bigger than the 16? The rack is only rated at 100 lbs, and the box alone will consume almost half that capacity. I'm looking to carry camping gear rather than skis, etc. to keep the back free for his lordship the dog. Gear for 2-3 adults and 1 kid.

What would other people do? Go to REI and have them bring out a couple? I'm a member and there is a store within 30 mins of here. Everyone seems to have the same price on there.

Also, is the nicer lid finish worth the extra money? I guess that one's quite subjective...
post #5 of 401 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 08:30 AM

Car: 09 Outback pzev
The rocket box will not fit unless you drill new holes and do not want to lift the hatch up very high. I had to bite the bullett and buy the 16. But for those of us that ski, the 16 can only carry skis up to 180cm.
post #6 of 401 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 08:37 AM

Car: 2013 Limited w/EyeSight
Quote:
Originally posted by knibby
The rocket box will not fit unless you drill new holes and do not want to lift the hatch up very high. I had to bite the bullett and buy the 16. But for those of us that ski, the 16 can only carry skis up to 180cm.
Hmm.....

That's important news for me the Rocket Box owner, and making me think less of the already poor design. By poor design I mean a rack where it has been optimized for non-use.

The rack may not be a deal breaker, but it's more reason to remain a tire kicker at least until the next generation 4Runner is released later in the month.

I would not want to buy a new roof box and I really like my older one because the white top doesn't roast the contents.
post #7 of 401 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 12:34 PM

Car: Former: 2010 & 2002 OB
Thule Atlantis 1800 687BXT

Anyone mount a Thule Atlantis 1800 687BXT on a2010 Outback? I need the longer box for my XC skis (210 cm). I specifically want to know if the box can be mounted all the way back (to minimize drag) and still not interfere with the rear hatch.

ManyThanks!
Matt
post #8 of 401 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 02:29 AM

Car: 2010 Outback Prem
Re: Thule Atlantis 1800 687BXT

Quote:
Originally posted by mattreis
Anyone mount a Thule Atlantis 1800 687BXT on a2010 Outback? I need the longer box for my XC skis (210 cm). I specifically want to know if the box can be mounted all the way back (to minimize drag) and still not interfere with the rear hatch.

ManyThanks!
Matt
No dice.... I have one and I have it pushed as far forward as the OEM cross bars will allow and my hatch hits. Debating on wether or not looking for a smaller box or getting shorter struts on the hatch to stop it just short of the box... I love the size of the 1800 so I am bummed. It fit the A4 wagon no prob.

post #9 of 401 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 06:00 AM

Car: Former: 2010 & 2002 OB
Re: Re: Thule Atlantis 1800 687BXT

Quote:
Originally posted by ssrgeoff

No dice.... I have one and I have it pushed as far forward as the OEM cross bars will allow and my hatch hits. Debating on wether or not looking for a smaller box or getting shorter struts on the hatch to stop it just short of the box... I love the size of the 1800 so I am bummed. It fit the A4 wagon no prob.
Hmmm...too bad I already bought one based on the Thule fit guide info online.

It looks good (thanks for the pics!), too bad the hatch doesn't open all the way. Even though it hits, does it open enough to load and unload stuff in the back?
post #10 of 401 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 11:24 AM

Car: 2010 Outback Prem
^ Yes, you still have plenty of space. I would say it hits on the last 1.5"-2" of opening all the way. I havent let it go all the way since I didnt want to either crack the third brake light or scratch it up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: