Subaru Outback Forums banner

Factory battery dead at two years?

46K views 48 replies 23 participants last post by  mpnret 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

The wife just called from work, and she says the car won't start. Sounds like a dead battery. This is a 2013 2.5 with cvt. I'm about to go out there and get the car from her.

What is the proper voltage at the battery terminals at shutoff, idle (no accessories), and 2000 rpm for these cars?

Also, the parts guy at the dealer says that these batteries are prorated under warranty. What are the chances that they take it back? Honestly, I don't feel like spending another penny on a battery that lasted only 2 years and 1 month. Sheesh?

Thanks,

#2 ·
Just very roughly I would expect at least 12V at the terminals with nothing on assuming the battery is charged. With it running even just idling with nothing really running I'd think at least 13.3V or so.

Has that battery ever gone dead before?

Sometimes it's just one of the battery terminals has loosened or corroded but the vehicle seems too new for that.

#3 · (Edited)
You should be reading 14.1-14.8 Volts, typical charging voltage (14.1 idle, maybe higher at higher revolution). Current should be high, in the 40's Amps. Current is what changes with RPMs (1,500: 49A+; 2,500: 89A+, and 5,000: 102A+) . Those currents are likely under load, if it starts and stays on, load up the system (AC full-on, window defroster on, lights).

Check voltage before boosting (if you're doing that), should be 12-12.3 Volts for proper operation; anything less than 11.5 is terrible. In-between is a grey area though it might point to the alternator rather than battery but the 1st paragraph would confirm that.

It suck having to get a new battery, but what is the alternative: park the car? Replace the alternator (at full cost)? I'd rather replace the battery pro-rated than have to deal with the alternator.
Batteries are built to fail, I replaced one a few years ago and from the get-go it had a bad cell (took a week until I was left stranded and found out).

#4 ·
My Battery died in 30 months. It was replaced free of charge under warranty. As long as your car is within 3yrs/36K warranty, SOA should replace it for free.

My OEM battery supplier was Johnson Controls and I think that their batteries are average and is the reason (at least in my case) that I had a premature failure.

#6 ·
Thanks for all the advice.

This battery has about 47,000 miles of 90% highway driving. Weather got cold here in the last few weeks (20s at night) but I was surprised that it went so quickly. The no-start condition happened about an hour after my wife drove to work.

Anyway, hopefully it's just the battery, because bumper-to-bumper is finished on this car.

#29 ·
My previous car, a Honda Accord v6 EX-L, it died at 20mos at about 20F outside.

I drove over to the dealer and said, "my car barely turned over this AM. The batteries dead, and it's under warranty. Would you please replace that battery."

The dealer guy just looked at me and said "if the car starts, the battery is fine, why are you bothering me."

(Inside my brain "Really?!?!")

I paused, went into my blank military face, and said "Yeah, but my amp/hour tester indicates that the battery only has 20Ah of capacity. So if your telling me that a group 35 battery is supposed to have anything under 50Ah, than you're either stupid, or incompetent. Which is it?"

"Larry, check this guys battery."

"Larry: its bad"

"Ahhh, we'll replace your battery sir."

...and then they sent me a "How did we do questionnaire."

Dealer's, can't deal with em, can't drive without em.

#9 ·
Actually, heat is the killer of batteries, the cold is just the symptom.

5 years is the typical lifespan, and the range on that is 3-7 years 1 sigma. You are outside the nominal distribution.

If that battery had ever been drained before it puts it at a much higher risk of future failure.

#10 ·
FWIW, I have had excellent service from Costco/Kirkland batteries.
OP's battery may have been damaged when new if the car sat too long on a dealer lot.

#11 ·
UPDATE: the dealership told me to take a long walk on a short dock when i asked about warranty. They only cover the battery up to 36,000 miles, no prorating. Honestly, I've never even had cheap autozone battery die this quickly. And every factory Toyota battery i ever had lasted at least 6 years and far more miles. So yeah, it's abummer that I will be separated from my $110 for a new battery.

What's most intersting is how defensive the service person got when I mentioned that the battery died. "Well, there's only two battery manufacturers in the country, so yours was probably made by interstate and it's no good." Like that's some sort of consolation? Ha-ha! I guess she's getting a lot of these calls.

Anyway, it's disappointing, but here are the upsides as i see it:
1. At least I won't have that piece of crap battery under the hood anymore.
2. I don't have to go to the dealer and plead for a new battery.
3. I'm glad this happened today and not tomorrow when my family is planning to do a road trip.

#12 ·
From my experience (in my climate zones - CA and FL) I'd say that 2 to 3 years is an average lifespan of an OEM battery.

The best battery (IMHO) for reasonable prices are available at SEARS.
Otherwise, go for Optima Yellow or Red Top.

#13 ·
I think it's kind of odd personally.
Every OEM battery I have owned has lasted just over 5 years without exception.
The wifes 09 RAV4 battery just died a month ago when it started getting cold. She bought it in Sept of 09.
But apparently it's not uncommon from what I read in this thread.

My experience is the aftermarket battery that replaces the OEM never lasts as long.
But maybe the manufacturers are buying cheaper batteries now?

:8:

#15 ·
in my WRX I have an AGM made by DEKA/East Penn that has been great so far.($$$)

but, in Texas and other hot climates, another approach for car batteries could be to get the cheapest one sold at Walmart w'ever and just swap them every 2 years whether is fails or not. They get recycled, and you're unlikely to ever be stranded due to battery issues.

this map is old, but illustrates how climate makes a difference;

EDIT;

found a new map related to the issue;

#16 ·
in my WRX I have an AGM made by DEKA/East Penn that has been great so far.($$$)

but, in Texas and other hot climates, another approach for car batteries could be to get the cheapest one sold at Walmart w'ever and just swap them every 2 years whether is fails or not. They get recycled, and you're unlikely to ever be stranded due to battery issues.

this map is old, but illustrates how climate makes a difference;

That would make some sense based on what I have read here and compared to people who live in warmer climates.

#17 ·
The battery on my 06 Pontiac (built in Aug. 2005) was still going strong when I traded it in 2011 for my OB. The car was garaged at home for 1/2 it's life (or more) but it also did a couple short trips (< 2 miles) a day while at work.

My 2011 Outback is still on the original battery, home garaged it's whole life, similar treatment at work. I dislike the "weak" sound to the cold crank in the winter but it's done it since day 1.

Upstate, NY climate (but not buried in snow like Buffalo).

#19 ·
I have only had 2 batteries last 5 years. Both were OEM in Japanese cars. One was a Yuasa in my 1981 (yes, 81) Civic wagon.

the other was In my WRX - I THINK it was labeled panasonic but, not sure. Made it 'almost' to 5 years.

MANY experiences of 2-3 year battery life.

#21 ·
I think 5 years is a pretty typical battery life. A friend 2004 trailblazer made it to 2010 with the original battery...I've had my auto zone gold in my outback for over 3 years now, and the everstart maxx in my Dakota is fricken ancient. No date code on it that I can see though. Truck sat for 3 months untouched and started first crank.

#22 ·
UPDATE:

Okay, I went to her work and found that it's not the battery. You can't imagine how happy that makes me.

A couple weeks ago, we lost a set of keys. Last weekend, a locksmith cut me a new key but he didn't have enough software updates on his computer to program it to the car's security system. Anyway, the I stuck the new key onto the keychain with my valet because I have an appointment with the dealer to program it next week.

Turns out, this morning my wife started the car with the valet key, and then later tried to start the car with the unprogrammed key. When you use that, the car starts and shuts off after about 3-5 seconds. After the second try, the car just acts like it has a dead battery.

So I take back all the hurtful things I said about this car's battery. It's a wonderful piece of equipment, and I hope it lasts a long, long life.

#26 ·
Turns out, this morning my wife started the car with the valet key, and then later tried to start the car with the unprogrammed key. When you use that, the car starts and shuts off after about 3-5 seconds. After the second try, the car just acts like it has a dead battery.

If this info was provided in the original post, we could have avoided an epic dead battery thread. I think we all learned something.

Reactions: jogosub
#32 ·
Five years on an OEM battery or any other flooded cell battery, is a wonderful dream here in the Arizona desert. Average battery life is 18 months. No joke. A really good flooded cell battery will go 24 months, maybe 30, if you pay $200 for it. Any more, I just wait until the OEM battery quits. And quit they do, with no warning at all. Then I replace it with an Odyssey AGM type. Those will go five years or more. And they give warning before they die. I used to use Optima batteries. But Johnson Controls moved their Optima manufacturing line to Mexico and the quality went into the toilet.

Reactions: jogosub
#33 ·
I seldom see a battery last longer than three years here in Oklahoma. Never longer than 4 years, OEM or typical aftermarket. Every battery failure on my cars seem to happen in the summer. Heat is definitely the issue.

Since I drive all around the state I need to be able to swap out a failed battery under warranty. There are Wal Marts everywhere and their battery warranty is 3 years full replacement so it is always free.

#36 ·
The battery I have in my WRX was built for O'Reilly's by east Penn.(but it seems the AGMs O'reillys now sells are a lot more expensive than mine was - maybe a marketing move?) I've had it a while and it is a dream. (I'm sure I cuss it when it dies lol!) I really like the reduced propensity for corrosion. It seems to be truly sealed so, however it vents, if it does,, it never seems to be such that it grows the 'green/blue stuff' on the terminals.

dunno about the X2 Power specifically, if there's one made for car application, I wouldn't be afraid of it.

American made too right? I see no reason not to try it. AGMs have been around in some form for cars for a long time - ie. Optima .

#37 ·
Yup, they are made in PA. It is 251 but I would rather pay 251 for a really good product than 120 for an okay one. Place of manufacture is something I do consider, too.

The main alternative is Odyssey which are group 25 and are made in Saint Louis. But the X2 has a 60 month free replacement plan.

#39 ·
Thanks, I will take a look!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.