Subaru Outback Forums banner

What did you do with your 4th Gen Outback today?

2M views 7K replies 1K participants last post by  denverandy 
#1 ·
I Rain-Xed the windshield (Actually, I got carried away and put Rain-X on all the windows)

I put ScotchGuard on all the seats and carpet.

I removed this warning sticker that proves the car is Japanese:

I discovered that the visors are too thick to clip my garage remote on, so I used Velcro to attach it next to the parking brake:

This afternoon, I'm going to stop by the window tint place to see if they can tint the driver and front passenger windows to match the rest of the windows.

If I have time, I'm going to remove the fog lights and paint the silver black.

See less See more
#3,892 ·
Drove from SLC to Vegas on Dec 26th in snow the whole way down. Never had an issue going over the passes or passing other slower vehicles in the often snowy left lane. Don't worry, I wasn't going unsafe speeds. No, I don't have snow tires on. Never slipped or slid or felt unsafe the entire way. Returned about 24-25 MPG for the trip going 65-80 MPH.

Man, once I got to Vegas though, the OB was plastered in dirty snow/salt and I could only see out the windows where the wipers touched. I was happy to give her a bath for the return trip home, in which case she got messy and salted up again once we hit snow in SLC again. I'll have to go wash again after my half day of work tomorrow.

Also hit 43k miles! (by the time I got home again, much closer to hitting 44k miles)

#3,893 ·
Jorja had to go on an adventure...

a few minutes later, "our car is gonna be stuck in the woods forever!" i needed my father and sister in-law to give me a push start. the roofing strips i put on the ground didn't help. i wonder how much better a low range would've been on that much icy stuff. at least my car isn't 6000 lbs so they could help push with just their hands...

#3,896 ·
Low range wouldn't have helped much. Lower pressure in the tires, or some all-terrain tires would have helped. At least you were able to get out with a push. :smile2:

#3,897 ·
I installed the seat back protectors today. Used the $25 gift card that Subaru sent out.

I really like to look of them. the design is pretty nice, too. I'm just trying to decide if I should do the Velcro tape install method that others have mentioned. For now, I'll see how I like the screw fasteners.

#3,898 ·
installed my weathertech floor mats and weather tech window visors

no pictures of the floor mats, but here are the visors

i'm not 100% sure if i want to keep them. i got them for $112 off amazon. might sell them in a week or so if i don't like them. pm me if you'd want them. its been on only for hours lol

#3,901 ·
Have you decided if you are going to keep the window visors or not?

Personally, I'm kind of split on them. As far as looks go, I'm not too crazy about them. Functionally, I kind of like them. I had a set on a Suburban I used to own. It's kind of nice to be able to open the window during a rain storm, and not get rain coming in.

Ultimately, they are a very personal decision. Try them out for a while and see if you like what they do.

#3,899 ·
This is more of a what we did for our OB...bought it a new home...and us too. In about a month it will have a nice big 22' x 24' garage. No more having to do oil changes, diff changes, mods, waxing/detailing,...etc outdoors. All will be done in the weather protected confines of its new home.

Reactions: bradze
#3,902 ·
I have had the weathertechs on for several months now and if I had to do it again I would have went with the OEM outside the window channels

The only reason why i went weather tech was because I was not sure about the longevity of the adhesive.

The OEM version protrude less. There is some increased noise at highway speeds with the weather tech from what I can tell. Overall they do what they are intended to. And I can remove/install them as I please.

#3,905 ·
#3,907 ·
the eyelet is in your trunk. buy a shackle and some neoprene washers. should cost about $25 USD all together or 1 million billion canuck dolary-do's

#3,910 ·
Replaced air intake with Takeda stage-2 cold air intake system. Looks good, easy job. Thinking of removing the front half of the filter box to get that nice sound.

Attachments

#3,912 ·
It's supposed to add a few horsepower, but that wouldnt be very noticeable. There is also a nice sound when you accelerate, but again I haven't heard it. So I guess it's just a pretty face so far.

#3,922 ·
So it has been a few day since the mod and now I am noticing the difference. Today I drove to San francisco and the engine had significantly more acceleration when trying to pass at highway speeds. Also there is a very nice growl from the engine when accelerating, especially at high rpm. That's all I hoped for so I'm happy.

#3,913 ·
Budaru,

I noticed your mention of "high intensity LED fogs" in your signature. What bulbs/kit are you using? Any chance you have a write-up about it somewhere on this forum?

I know the 2013-14 fogs are different from the 2010-12 models, making it a bit trickier to find compatible parts...

Thanks!

#3,916 ·
Sorry just saw this. Initially I retrofit a pair of Morimoto HIDs into my fogs, using matchbox projectors from VLEDs. They didn't make much of a difference and were very heavy, so I removed them and put the stock lights back in. Then I found some nice H11 LED lamps that were self contained, and didn't have a separate ballast. Frankly I forget where I got them but they are something like these https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat...s/filter/Cross_Reference_Number,H11_,21,7710:

It seems that every few months the max lumens from LEDs goes up, so it's now possible to get much brighter lamps than my 2100 lm bulbs.

I didn't write a description because installation was trivial. Just remove the halogen lamps and put the LEDs in their place.

One more thing, when I installed the HID fog lights I mounted two relays and ran separate power to them, with a switch mounted on my dash. That way I could have the fogs on when the brights were on. I kept the relays and switch and now use them with my LED fogs. A bit of an overkill but why not since everything was already installed.

#3,914 ·
Deep cleaned both my car and my wife's Crosstrek on Saturday since we had a few warm days.

#3,915 ·
my wife took her grandfather to the hospital, he grabbed the oh **** handle to get in and it came off into his hands. he was panicking thinking he broke my car. my wife had to explain to him that i take my car apart all the time. no way that would've happened if i hadn't removed the headliner. kinda embarassing...

#3,921 ·
got 8 ft 4x4 posts at my parents place so i only have to buy the skinny flat boards to fix my fence. used the car to drop them off in the backyard instead of walking back and forth over and over. now it just needs to get warm so i can actually put them up.

#3,923 ·
#3,925 ·
Nope, sorry. I was hoping that the HIDs with matchbox projector retrofit was going to be the elegant solution. But as I said, I was disappointed in the results. Also I've had some problems with my bumper coming a little loose, and all that weight at the bottom didn't help. That's the main reason I just stopped bulbs.

I don't understand why there isn't an XB LED fog unit available for the '13. If there were I'd probably get them

#3,926 ·
Nope, sorry. I was hoping that the HIDs with matchbox projector retrofit was going to be the elegant solution. But as I said, I was disappointed in the results. Also I've had some problems with my bumper coming a little loose, and all that weight at the bottom didn't help. That's the main reason I just stopped bulbs.

I don't understand why there isn't an XB LED fog unit available for the '13. If there where I'd probably get them
I believe the mounting points are different between 13's and 14's

Here's what the mount looks like for the 14':

It is a bit disappointing, because the complete LED assemblies are the best option available

Nick C.