Replacement Keys - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #21 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Outback 2.5 Limited, Sky Blue Metallic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally posted by mpnret

Are you referring to your Acura or Outback? Again the chip ID is not programmable. This pertains to all standard chipped keys. It has a fixed ID in it at manufacture. By using the Subie diagnostic tool you program the car's ECU to accept the ID that is in the key.
I guess I should also mention there is a company out there that makes special Read/Write keys. These cover a very limited number of brands. Subaru is not one of them. These keys along with a special cloning machine let you copy the ID in one of your original keys into the R/W key. As far as the car is concerned the cloned key is the same as the original so no ECU programming is necessary. Maybe this is what you had done to your Acura. This company is not able to clone Subaru keys yet but maybe someday. Some Wal-Martís and Ace hardware stores have cloning machines.
My bad I was referring to the Acura . The key I was getting was a " switchblade" Acura TL key that was milled so it could be cut for 05-08 TSX. Those years don't use the laser cut. As far as I know, the guy was doing the same service the dealer does when you get a new key, just way cheaper. You have to take all your keys to the dealer when you get a new key made.There were a couple of dozen guys getting the keys. Most likely I'm incorrectly using the word programming to whatever the dealer does when you get a new key, maybe add the new ID to the car's ECU .
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #22 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Outback Ltd 2.5 CVT PZEV, Azurite Blue Pearl

Wow this is an old thread, but I came across a locksmith that claims he can clone my transponder chip $55 and cut the key $25 total $80 to make me a spare. Has anyone gotten a "cloned" key made this way?
Old 02-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen1959 View Post
Wow this is an old thread, but I came across a locksmith that claims he can clone my transponder chip $55 and cut the key $25 total $80 to make me a spare. Has anyone gotten a "cloned" key made this way?
Indeed it is . That is what the locksmith did to the Acura key. It is the "same" tool that car dealers use. You need to take all your keys so they are "programmed" the same. This tool is about 5k to 10K. The guy that programmed it, probably worked for free or a little money and the owner made a lot of money from all the guys getting their keys made. The key is, no pun intended , that fancy "programming/cloning machine. If you think about it. The dealer has a lot of "blank" keys which they "program" so the car accepts the key. Otherwise they would need to have a different key for each car.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #24 (permalink)

Car: 2012 2.5i limited graphite gray, sunroof, nav, heavy duty cargo rack, cargo carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by coquioutback View Post
Indeed it is . That is what the locksmith did to the Acura key. It is the "same" tool that car dealers use. You need to take all your keys so they are "programmed" the same. This tool is about 5k to 10K. The guy that programmed it, probably worked for free or a little money and the owner made a lot of money from all the guys getting their keys made. The key is, no pun intended , that fancy "programming/cloning machine. If you think about it. The dealer has a lot of "blank" keys which they "program" so the car accepts the key. Otherwise they would need to have a different key for each car.
So are you now saying it is now possible for the locksmith to clone a Subie key?
scootsk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #25 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Outback Ltd, 6cyl

I bought one of those Ace Hardware keys for my Tacoma. The store has the equipment to clone the code from your factory key to the new one. The key worked fine, BUT it contains a small button battery that needs to be replaced annually, making it not a good key to save for back up or, for that matter, as your primary as it could run out of juice and you'd be stuck.
williamemack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootsk View Post
So are you now saying it is now possible for the locksmith to clone a Subie key?
If they have the appropriate diagnostic tool, they should be able to do it.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpnret View Post
Ace Hardware along with others uses a key cloning system made by Hy-KO Corp. If you go to the Hy-Ko site and enter a newer Subaru you get "canot duplicate key - refer to dealer".
My cloned keys where Acura OEM. Maybe Subaru uses a different process, but that means they would have to have specific keys for each car instead of a key that can be programmed for any car. They basically want to charge you 1hr+ for something that can be done in less than 15 min.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #28 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)

Hy-Ko now has a key that can be used to clone the newer Subaru keys. Hy-Ko is not the only key cloning system so maybe the other manufactures also have it now. Ace Hardware and Walmart are big users of the Hy-Ko system. Also many independent locksmiths. It may take some calling around but you should be able to find someone who can clone your key for about $75.
mpnret is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2013, 03:38 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coquioutback View Post
Some locksmiths have this kind of tool also. At least they have to program Acura keys, which a group of us did when modifyng a TL key to use on the TSX. After the guy got in the groove, he could re-program them in less than 10 min. Most dealers charge at least an hour for this job. BTW the "tool" which was a little bit larger than a professional type of voltmeter is over 5K, according to him.
Some locksmiths do and it is important to place your trust in the locksmiths you choose to do the job. The dealers take longer and will charge you an arm and a leg. Our Outback here in the UK had an issue with the locks but not neccessarily the keys. I called my trustworthy locksmiths blackheath (local to me) and they changed the locks, rather professionally. The keys on the other hand are well capable of being cloned, but the programming of the keys is questionnable. I've heard of stories that cloned keys work fine for an X amount of time then after a while it will lose its... programmability?! For keys I'd for for the dealer. For locks, locksmith.
outbackfred70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #30 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5 Premium Ice metallic silver
Wink My 2013 key took a dunking!

I was stand up paddleboarding in the back bay here and forgot about leaving the key on shore. Oopsy! When I got out of the water, I just blew it off. When I got to the house 15 minutes later, I disassembled it, and dryed out the small droplets of water from around the battery bracket and case. The buttons and chip are sealed up pretty well in it's own housing that has a thick, silicon gasket around the edge. I'll air it out overnight, but being an electrical engineer by trade, I'm confident the 1/2 hour it spent in a wet pocket did it no harm.
derbed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: