Problem using the USB port - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Outback Limited. Our third Outback. There are now 9 Subarus in our family.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Problem using the USB port

Hope someone can help me. When I try to use the USB port the screen comes up but I get a Check USB device message. The dealer has no clue and neither does Subaru Customer Service. I called Kenwood but they we're no help either. I'm downloading WMA files to a flash drive that is formatted in FAT32. I've even had our local computer guru try but no luck. Does anyone have any answer or has anyone else had this problem?
Teejay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2010, 07:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Outback 2.5i Prem.

How big is the flash drive? It will only handle up to a certain size due to the unit having to download the entire file list prior to playing anything. Have you tried another drive?
entarget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2014 Forester 2.5i Touring with EyeSight; Venetian Red
Default Re: Problem using the USB port

Quote:
Originally posted by Teejay
Hope someone can help me. When I try to use the USB port the screen comes up but I get a Check USB device message. The dealer has no clue and neither does Subaru Customer Service. I called Kenwood but they we're no help either. I'm downloading WMA files to a flash drive that is formatted in FAT32. I've even had our local computer guru try but no luck. Does anyone have any answer or has anyone else had this problem?
Agree that trying a different USB stick will narrow down if it's a USB drive problem or Subaru problem.

Also, make sure your WMA files are in a compliant format. Subaru manual recommends 128 kbps fixed bit rate. If you're doing something exotic like lossless or a high bit rate, it might not take it. Try using a sample MP3 file on your PC rather than your own ripped files to see if that works.

Also, try reformatting the USB stick; it could be corrupt.

FYI, I have successfully used a 8 GB USB stick with no problems, also FAT32. I did not see an upper limit listed in the manual. It just needs to be mass storage compliant, which in theory means you could even plug in a USB hard drive and it should work.

Let us know how it works out.
eps105 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2010, 11:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Outback 2.5i Prem.

One other thing you may want to look at is the software that came on the USB drive. Some drives emulate a second drive when plugged into the computer. By formating the drive itself it gets rid of that software and leaves it open at the root of the drive.
entarget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Outback Limited. Our third Outback. There are now 9 Subarus in our family.

Thanks for the replys. It's a 4GB and I'm going to re-format it. I think that may be the problem as it is acting like another hard drive. I'll post how it turns out.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

I formatted it to FAT32 and loaded up a bunch of tunes. It finally plays OK but it only plays 1 folder out of 18 and I can't get it to change folders. At least I know it works now but I'm not sure it's worth all the screwing around with it. I'm starting to wish I had stuck with my Garmin and not gotten the Nav system.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Outback 3.6R

I tried the flash for MP3's but it's lame that it forgets where you left off and always starts at song 1. I made several mixed MP3 CD's for the 6 disc changer and I think it works better since it remembers where you left off. Each CD is a mix for a mood or a genre. 150-200 songs fit per disc so it is about 9 hours of music per CD.
ProfessorMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT

Quote:
Originally posted by Teejay
I formatted it to FAT32 and loaded up a bunch of tunes. It finally plays OK but it only plays 1 folder out of 18 and I can't get it to change folders. At least I know it works now but I'm not sure it's worth all the screwing around with it. I'm starting to wish I had stuck with my Garmin and not gotten the Nav system.
Unless its an iPod the USB connection will only play the songs in the order that they were loaded into the device and the system doesn't remember the last song played when you turn the car off.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2010 3.6R

Quote:
Originally posted by oceanruss

Unless its an iPod the USB connection will only play the songs in the order that they were loaded into the device and the system doesn't remember the last song played when you turn the car off.
So does it go to the first song on the whole USB or the first song in the folder you left off at?
stompbox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

I haven't gotten that far yet. According to the manual you can change folders by using the plus and minus symbols on the display. I have to try that and see if it works. I originally thought they changed songs within a folder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: