heads up on wheel arch mouldings. - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
heads up on wheel arch mouldings.

We had a minor incedent this morning with the '10 OB. I had to remove the left front arch moulding to massage a minor dent out of the fender. There was a ton of sand and mud behind the mouldings. I can see that cleaning behind them will be at least a once a year thing. I'm going to see if I can get some clear bra stuff to put behind them to help prevent rust. I don't want to leave them off. Ther is another Azurite Blue near here without them and it just looks all wrong(like something is missing).

My other car is a Subaru.... Come to think of it, so is my other other car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 11:39 PM

Car: 2010 Outback Azurite Blue 3.6R Limited and 2001 Outback wagon 2.5
Re: heads up on wheel arch mouldings.

Quote:
Originally posted by Wagondude
We had a minor incedent this morning with the '10 OB. I had to remove the left front arch moulding to massage a minor dent out of the fender. There was a ton of sand and mud behind the mouldings. I can see that cleaning behind them will be at least a once a year thing. I'm going to see if I can get some clear bra stuff to put behind them to help prevent rust. I don't want to leave them off. Ther is another Azurite Blue near here without them and it just looks all wrong(like something is missing).
Thanks for the heads up. I will check them out at the end of winter. I waxed the **** out of the area before I put them on but I like your idea. Let us know if you have any success with it.

I have Azurite blue also and agree it just looks wrong without them on.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 12:04 AM

Car: 2010 3.6R
Re: Re: heads up on wheel arch mouldings.

Quote:
Originally posted by ardvark11

Thanks for the heads up. I will check them out at the end of winter. I waxed the **** out of the area before I put them on but I like your idea. Let us know if you have any success with it.

I have Azurite blue also and agree it just looks wrong without them on.
Nah, what is just plain wrong is how much you paid to have them put on. I got Blue Auzrite and no way was I paying that much for 4 tiny pieces of plastic for vanity.....

That is my $.02
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 11:36 AM

Re: Re: Re: heads up on wheel arch mouldings.

Quote:
Originally posted by stompbox

Nah, what is just plain wrong is how much you paid to have them put on. I got Blue Auzrite and no way was I paying that much for 4 tiny pieces of plastic for vanity.....

That is my $.02
Well since you passed on them for vanity,,, I can see your point.
I installed them for both looks and function. Life is too short to worry about $340 on a 30k Outback.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 01:18 PM

Car: 2012 Outback Wagon & 2011 Legacy Sedan
ON PURPOSE?????

So I have about 300 miles on my 2010 OBW that came with arch moldings. Does that mean everyone who has one like this is going to have to remove the moldings and clean out from behind????? The very early Subarus were rust buckets in the fender areas and I would hate to think that Subaru would create something that would either cause rust or be the culprit at the least. Subaru has a good rust-through warranty and I just can't imagine them making something that would cause problems. The dirt you mention, is it actually laying on the steel of the fender? Do really think rust will occur in this area???? I have the same Azurite Blue and I love the car so far. I'm betting Subaru designed this "problem" area NOT to be a future problem.
This is only the 2nd brand new car I've ever owned and I am NOT sorry I purchased a Subaru. I know my subie won't let me down. I've owned Corvettes, BMW's, MB's, Jags, etc and I seriously can rate my new Outback right up there with the best of them.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 03:10 PM

Car: 2010 Outback 2.5i Premium 6MT
My Outback came with the wheel arch mouldings pre-installed. I was curious about cleaning out behind them as well. I've read the installation PDF for them, but am curious about how involved a process it is to get them off? Is it simply unscrewing a few things or is it trickier than that? Thanks for any reply.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jon595
My Outback came with the wheel arch mouldings pre-installed. I was curious about cleaning out behind them as well. I've read the installation PDF for them, but am curious about how involved a process it is to get them off? Is it simply unscrewing a few things or is it trickier than that? Thanks for any reply.
Just a few screws holding each one on, five I believe without walking out and counting them. They are very easy to get off but you have to be a little careful reinstalling them and not dislodge the three 3 clamp brackets on the inner fender lip.
If you do, you can reinstall them without too much trouble.
They tighten their grip when the wheel molding screws are snugged down.

Once you have them off you will see what I am talking about.
I usually like to remove the three inner screws first then the one on each end. I reverse the process to install, do the ends first (don't snug down yet just get them started) then carefully insert each screw in middle section and screw them in a few turns. Once all screws are in you can snug them down, careful not to over-tighten or the molding will start to distort. I use a tiny Phillips stubby made by Stanley, it works well clearance wise. After doing them one time you will be a wheel molding expert and can brag to your friends and family.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 03:42 PM

Re: ON PURPOSE?????

Quote:
Originally posted by LLBEANSUBIE
So I have about 300 miles on my 2010 OBW that came with arch moldings. Does that mean everyone who has one like this is going to have to remove the moldings and clean out from behind????? The very early Subarus were rust buckets in the fender areas and I would hate to think that Subaru would create something that would either cause rust or be the culprit at the least. Subaru has a good rust-through warranty and I just can't imagine them making something that would cause problems. The dirt you mention, is it actually laying on the steel of the fender? Do really think rust will occur in this area???? I have the same Azurite Blue and I love the car so far. I'm betting Subaru designed this "problem" area NOT to be a future problem.
This is only the 2nd brand new car I've ever owned and I am NOT sorry I purchased a Subaru. I know my subie won't let me down. I've owned Corvettes, BMW's, MB's, Jags, etc and I seriously can rate my new Outback right up there with the best of them.
Only time will tell if it becomes a problem. I plan on removing mine after winter subsides to do an inspection. I will report what I find on this site.
I bet dirt and sand also work themselves behind the body cladding to some degree as well but I'm not inclined to be worried about it.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 03:43 PM

Car: 2010 Outback 2.5i Premium 6MT
Thanks a lot for the explanation. I'll add this to my 'spring cleaning' list.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
It collects the most at the bottom ends, but there was crud all the way around. To be fair, The biggest ammount was at the location of the plastic cladding above the mud flap. The stuff at the front end is over unprotected metal, though. That hapens to be the only place we broke through the piant, so I will have to fix that.

My other car is a Subaru.... Come to think of it, so is my other other car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: