Low Oil Level Light After Oil Change - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I just did my first oil change on my 2011 Outback 3.6R. The oil light is staying on, so apparently the problem is not only with 2010 models.
Big Chez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2010, 06:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 3.6R Limited--Sky Blue Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chez View Post
I just did my first oil change on my 2011 Outback 3.6R. The oil light is staying on, so apparently the problem is not only with 2010 models.
How far have you driven the car after the oil change?
More than likely, the light will go off after driving a few miles.
Just as a Check Engine Light will usually not extinguish itself immediately after rectifying the problem that caused the light to go on in the first place, driving a few miles (or a few driving cycles) should cause the "low oil" light to turn off.

Or, you could use the method recommended by the techs at my dealership, which was mentioned previously.
Somerset Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 11:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

I actually drove the car zero miles after the oil change. I let it warm up in my driveway, and the light went out once the engine was fully warmed up. I didn't have to shut down and re-start the engine for the light to go out.

I'm glad that I was able to find this forum-- I had a mild bit of panic trying to figure out why that blasted light was on :-)
Big Chez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2010, 02:00 AM   #14 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Outback 2.5i CVT Premium

I've done four oil changes since buying the car. The low level light remained lit after the third change for almost 15 minutes after starting the engine - the other three times it went out immediately. I followed roughly the same procedure in changing the oil and filter each time, so I don't know what caused the light to get stuck in that one instance.

It's certainly unsettling to see that warning light, but I don't think it is a serious problem. I know I've got enough oil by the dipstick - as long as the light eventually goes out within a few miles I won't be too concerned.

On a similar warning light issue, I had the low tire pressure light come on last year. After stopping at a gas station and filling all four tires to 36 psi, the light remained on for another 30+ minutes of driving! You'd think these warning lights would reset much faster than that.
Pleiades7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 12:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Outback Ltd, 6cyl
Default Low Oil Level Light

Twice now in the first year of 2010 ownership I have had the low oil level light go on and it DID need a quart. Selling dealer didn't seem upset. Episode doesn't seem related to a recent oil change.
williamemack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 3.6R Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamemack View Post
Twice now in the first year of 2010 ownership I have had the low oil level light go on and it DID need a quart. Selling dealer didn't seem upset. Episode doesn't seem related to a recent oil change.
No it doesn't. My 2011 outback 3.6R with 2300 miles on it had the low oil light on this morning even the oil level is ok shown by the dipstick; there is no oil change has been ever done on this car. I drove it around to warm it up but the light is still on. Need to look at it a bit more tonight. I was suspecting the glass guy might screwed up something yesterday when he came over replaced my windshield. From the discussion here, it doesn't seem to be the case.
subiewest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #17 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 3.6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiewest View Post
No it doesn't. My 2011 outback 3.6R with 2300 miles on it had the low oil light on this morning even the oil level is ok shown by the dipstick; there is no oil change has been ever done on this car. I drove it around to warm it up but the light is still on. Need to look at it a bit more tonight. I was suspecting the glass guy might screwed up something yesterday when he came over replaced my windshield. From the discussion here, it doesn't seem to be the case.
I had the light on last week, dipstick showed level just below the "low" notch: added some oil, drove around a bit, light went off as I was idling in line at a drive-thru coffee place.

You had your windshield replaced too? For what reason? I noticed chips the first time I handwashed the car and thought I got a few rock hits, but they ended up being on the inside surface. Took it in to get checked and the glass guy told me there was definitely something wrong with it just by looking through it, apparently his trained eye could tell by the way light was coming in.
Viceland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 06:10 PM   #18 (permalink)

A bit of a thread hijack here - but how do we get the full TIPS book ?
chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viceland View Post
I had the light on last week, dipstick showed level just below the "low" notch: added some oil, drove around a bit, light went off as I was idling in line at a drive-thru coffee place.

You had your windshield replaced too? For what reason? I noticed chips the first time I handwashed the car and thought I got a few rock hits, but they ended up being on the inside surface. Took it in to get checked and the glass guy told me there was definitely something wrong with it just by looking through it, apparently his trained eye could tell by the way light was coming in.
It got hit by a rock on my way to a ski resort; it didn't crack at the time it was hit and the crack occurred when parked at the ski resort. The crack was over a foot long so it had to be replaced (crack under 6 inches can be patched up without replacing the entire windshield). For you case, if the crack is on the inside and there is no chip, manufacture warranty will cover it. In my case, there is clearly a small chip on the line of the crack so I have to claim it through insurance. My excitement on my new 2011 Outback has worn off by those small problems: buzzing sound from solenoid in transmission, easily cracked windshield, and now the malfunction engine oil indicator. I started feeling I should have stayed with Toyota or Honda.

There are a couple of threads on this forum discussing the weak windshield of Subaru cars. I drove my Toyota to the same ski resort for the past 10 years, got hit by rocks before but never had windshield cracked. The glass guy told me he saw quite some Subaru having cracked windshield, and his next job after mine was also a Subaru...
Old 01-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiewest View Post
No it isn't related to oil change. My 2011 outback 3.6R with 2300 miles on it had the low oil light on this morning even the oil level is ok shown by the dipstick; there is no oil change has been ever done on this car. I drove it around to warm it up but the light is still on. Need to look at it a bit more tonight. I was suspecting the glass guy might screwed up something yesterday when he came over replaced my windshield. From the discussion here, it doesn't seem to be the case.
I checked the oil level this morning; it right in the middle between F and L marks. With knowing I have enough oil in the engine, I warmed it up on the drive way and then drove off with the low oil light on; after about 2 miles, the light went off by itself while I stopped waiting for a traffic light.

I'm thinking if this has something to do when the car is not being driven for a while. In my case, it was parked on drive way for a bout a week while waiting the windshield to be replaced - in California, you will get a citation for driving a car with cracked windshield. Regardless, it seems to be a defect for sure, hope Subaru will fix it soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: