3.6R engine cover - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-24-2010, 10:31 AM   #21 (permalink)
Who Dat !

Car: 2010 OB 3.6R Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally posted by eps105

You actually have to give it two good, firm yanks straight up from there rear, one each about 1/3 of the way in from the left and right back corners. The cover is basically snapped in from underneath near the rear, with two slotted supports in the front. You MUST pull up from the rear first.

I found out the hard way - broke one of the front housings off completely and cracked the other. Oh well, functionally it really doesn't matter and you cannot tell visually....
Cordy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 03:44 PM   #22 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Outback Azurite Blue 3.6R Limited and 2001 Outback wagon 2.5
Send a message via ICQ to ardvark11

Quote:
Originally posted by Cordy

I found out the hard way - broke one of the front housings off completely and cracked the other. Oh well, functionally it really doesn't matter and you cannot tell visually....
But you will know it's there,,,,
ardvark11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #23 (permalink)

Car: 01 Outback LL Bean - SOLD

Ewww, plastic manifolds... WTF Subaru?

How long until one of them explodes from constant heating/cooling wear???
TM875 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 10:45 AM   #24 (permalink)

Car: 2014 Forester 2.5i Touring with EyeSight; Venetian Red

Quote:
Originally posted by TM875
Ewww, plastic manifolds... WTF Subaru?

How long until one of them explodes from constant heating/cooling wear???
Why is it that in the absence of real information and data, people typically jump to the most negative conclusion?

Plastic manifolds are way more common than you may realize. And while there have been specific issues in the past from other manufacturers' poor designs or material selection, the vast majority have proven to work well and last the lifetime of the car. They save weight, and improve fuel economy and HP due to optimized internal design.

I personally have faith in Subaru's design, as well-engineered, long-lasting boxer engines are one of their core strengths.
eps105 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #25 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, No Sissy Ass Package

I broke the front part on mine too when I yanked it up to pull it off the same way I pulled off the Charger's cover. Dealership mechanic said they serve no purpose except that non-gearheads would rather see the clean plastic cover than all those confusing engine components. Also, the covers discourage people from working on their own cars.

First-time Subaru owner, avid curb hopper

Aorys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #26 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
Default Rneck mutha

He's not responsible for what he's doing
Coz his mother made him what he iz.

AltaBrig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #27 (permalink)

lol, plastic manifolds are extremely common and are no more susceptible to heat/cold as all the other plastic in the engine compartment. Remember that the intake manifold is constantly being cooled by the passage of outside air. It's not like an exhaust manifold, which experiences a great deal of heat and pressure. Also, plastic is a better heat insulator for the intake flow.

With regard to the engine cover - As someone who works on my car for 99% of repairs, I would probably leave it on for noise insulation. In a sportier car with something to show off, I might take it off. Also, it's not something that needs to come off often, and it's so easy to remove.
jonlong724 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #28 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback 2.5i CVT

I think it looks better with the cover off but that's just me. If I had the 3.6 it would stay on as that's what Subaru intended. The insulation could be there for just sound or to help maintain a more constant temperature, though my guess is sound, so it's not worth messing with it.

Regarding the plastic manifold, like many have said it is normal these days. My '05 Corolla has them and that model car was the first to have them in either '03 or '04. I had to replace the gasket because it would get hard over time and leak due to the difference in expansion between the head and manifold. Toyota changed the gasket and now it isn't a problem. Considering that's almost 10 years ago I think we are going to be good with the new Outbacks.
vtmecheng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: