Subaru Outback Forums banner

Almost time for timing belt change. How much $

14K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Wagondude 
#1 ·
Our 2011 OB is sneaking up on 105000 miles. I checked with my local Subaru dealership on this service.
Timing belt, water pump, and idler arm pulleys-parts and labor $1000.00. They can do it in less than one day. I feel Like the dealership does them all the time so they should have no issues. Dealership will warranty the parts for 12 months.

How much have you guys paid for this work?

Thanks!

#3 ·
It was about $300 for parts when I did my '06. I did it myself in about 5 hours. I could have done it quicker, but I thought thorough would be better than fast. When I do the 2010 (only 55K so it will be a while), I won't bother with the water pump unless I plan on keeping it more than a couple of years after the change. I think around hear the dealer charges around $900, so you are in the ball park. And independent shop should be less.

Edit: Don't forget to include the cost of coolant and consumables when look at the cost.

#4 ·
For dealer prices, that is within reason.

#5 ·
Whichever way you chose to go... DO NOT use cheap (non OEM) components. Subaru has updated some of the idler bearings to be double-row and all the other components are PROVEN.

The chepo-stuff has been known to be troublesome. Infact, my local shop-owner told me that he ONLY uses Factory-supplied stuff when doing TB.... he then went on to tell me story about when he tried to save a customer a few dollars and installed NON-oem. One of the Idler-bearings failed and the pistons crashed into the valves. He said after he fixed all that (On his dime), he never EVER used el-chepo parts again.

#6 ·
I'm looking to do that, and was quoted these numbers from an independent shop:
- $525 for timing belt and water pump together
- $695 for same with pulley and tensioner included
- $89 extra for coolant flush not included in the above

These appear to be on the high side for indys, but the shop is well regarded, so I might do it with them anyway.

#7 ·
Keep in mind that here in Vermont, about every 5th car on the road is a Subaru. Hence, there is a LOT of Subaru know-how even in the independent shops.

You ABSOLUTELY want to replace the idler-pullies this should not be considered an option.

Everyone I talked to told me to NOT change waterpump at the 105K interval. (Even the seasoned Subaru mechanics) The Subie WP should be fine till the second TB change. This should help lower the cost too.

#12 ·
Local Subaru dealership charges $700 for the same service, but we're in the midwest where everything is cheaper. I wouldn't pay more than $1,000 to have it all done. It's not a very difficult job if you can DIY (at least it wasn't on prior models), just have to have patience. The Gen 4's have a TON of room to work as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.