Driver Seat Causing Hamstring Pain? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-02-2010, 12:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Outback Limited 2.5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Driver Seat Causing Hamstring Pain?

Just purchased my 2010 OBLimited 2.5 (4.29.10) and having some high hamstring pain while driving. I have put 115 miles on it and I feel like I am sitting on 2 wallets (feels like there is something in the seats)? I have tried multiple seat positions with no success. This is my first Subaru (previous owner of 4 Hondas) and I am concerned if this is common with this brand. If anyone can give me some info to ease my mind that I made the right choice in this vehicle, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Illibuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2010, 02:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2010 cvt 2.5 white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illibuck View Post
Just purchased my 2010 OBLimited 2.5 (4.29.10) and having some high hamstring pain while driving. I have put 115 miles on it and I feel like I am sitting on 2 wallets (feels like there is something in the seats)? I have tried multiple seat positions with no success. This is my first Subaru (previous owner of 4 Hondas) and I am concerned if this is common with this brand. If anyone can give me some info to ease my mind that I made the right choice in this vehicle, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
I have a messed up back so I always have to "shim" the seats. I put sheepskins on and then have a fabric company near me cut a custom piece of foam for my seat. They get it "just right" everytime.

For my prius they could do nothing as the seats sucked beyond belief. I bought 2 volvo V70 10 way electric wagon seats and bolted those in the prius.

You can always try the foam and seat covers and if thats a "no joy" try a custom seat like recaro etc.
problemchild200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 04:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2014 2.5i Limited

Others have had issue with the seats. In this thread, one person took the seats to an automotive interior place and had them worked on.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...outback-4.html
2003 TiSport Gman, sweet Titanium XC ride.
2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer Cruiser
2012 Niner Air 9
mopartodd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 05:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: Former: 2010 & 2002 OB

Quote:
Thanks!
Well, don't know that I can ease your mind, as I found the seat to be uncomfortable on long drives (esepecially if I didn't have crusie control on). I am long-legged (6'2") and no amount of adjustment could make it right for me. I have had 4 Hondas and it was never an issue for me either. My '02 OB seemed to have firmer seats, but there was no "bump" (the wallets you mention?) at the seat edge that seemed to do a number on legs. I considered getting a little square foam bolster (These folks make them custom - http://www.cushionsxpress.com/produc...hion-4-19.html) to put in front in front of the seat to add thigh support for l ong trips. This is not th eperfect oolution, but cheaper than new seats or trading the car in (trust me, I know how expensive that can be!)
mattski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Thanks and unfortunate

Thanks for the replies. I intend to take the vehicle to the dealer tomorrow. This is unfortunate as I was really excited about this vehicle. If it cannot be remedied by the dealer than I am going to get rid of the car and go back to Honda. Not very happy right now.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i Limited, 02 Audi A6 3.0 Avant Quattro

You can find in yellow page Auto Upholstery ... they can fix the seat if dealer can't.
bigdadi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 12:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2010 cvt 2.5 white

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I intend to take the vehicle to the dealer tomorrow. This is unfortunate as I was really excited about this vehicle. If it cannot be remedied by the dealer than I am going to get rid of the car and go back to Honda. Not very happy right now.
You really need to cool off and think about it. Returning the car will cost you $7,000 dollars plus another 3k in taxes on the new car. Its much cheaper to "FIX" the seat. Go to an auto upholstery shop and have them custom fit the seat. I have to do it with every car I buy. Sure its a bit of a pain but you only have to do it once. I have a great one near me if you are in my area.

Also it might be as easy as shimming the rear seat mount at the floor with a few washers to raise the seat and make the bottom cushion level. I would be willing to help if you are in my area (long Beach, CA). If you PM me I can give out my phone number and we can talk ab out how to fix it. Trust me I do this with every new car and its a bit frustrating but I get it done and am GTG after that.

Next time sit in the car before you buy for one hour.
problemchild200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks, any estimate on costs?
Old 05-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2.5i Limited with moonroof

I noticed some hamstring issues on my two-hour drive home from the dealer -- not pain; more like fatigue. I tried all sorts of seat positions and heights to no avail. Finally, I tilted the front edge of the seat up a bit and it was perfect. I have been comfy ever since. As a side note, I'm 5'2" and the fatigue was not in my sitting-on-a-wallet area; it was midway down the back of my thigh.

I came from a Honda also; my CRV driver's seat was manually operated so had limited variables. The Outback has unlimited variables for the seat position so I suspect it just takes endless fiddling to find the right spot for you. Boy, I sure wish the power seats had 2 memory settings.

Good luck with it!
dogsrpeople2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 01:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Outback Azurite Blue 3.6R Limited and 2001 Outback wagon 2.5
Send a message via ICQ to ardvark11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsrpeople2 View Post
I noticed some hamstring issues on my two-hour drive home from the dealer -- not pain; more like fatigue. I tried all sorts of seat positions and heights to no avail. Finally, I tilted the front edge of the seat up a bit and it was perfect. I have been comfy ever since. As a side note, I'm 5'2" and the fatigue was not in my sitting-on-a-wallet area; it was midway down the back of my thigh.

I came from a Honda also; my CRV driver's seat was manually operated so had limited variables. The Outback has unlimited variables for the seat position so I suspect it just takes endless fiddling to find the right spot for you. Boy, I sure wish the power seats had 2 memory settings.

Good luck with it!
I hear you, having a 10 way adjustable seat can be a blessing and a curse without memory.
I am 6'2" and I spent the first half of a 6k trip before I finally reached seat nirvana.
Upon my return I took it to my dealer for the hesitation update and the car jockey there
being a tiny little fellow jacked the seat up and all around and left it that way.
I expressed my contempt to the service manager so every time I go in I make sure
he puts a sign on the steering wheel. It took me a month to get it back to
where it works for me.
ardvark11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: