Subaru Outback Forums banner

Hard Starting

25K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  liz.2712 
#1 ·
Have an intermittent problem with our 2013 Outback 2.5. When we go to start it, usually but not always the first start of the day, the engine cranks very slowly and doesn't start right away. If you turn the key to the off position and try again it starts right up.

Problem occurs very irregularly with no apparent pattern to it. Have taken it to the dealership twice so far. This last time I left it there for four days and they couldn't duplicate it and all their tests indicated the battery and everything else is fine.

It is getting to the end of it's warranty I am worried about it becoming a more frequent problem or one day not starting at all when I need it to.

Anyone else have a similar problem? And if so was the cause determined?

Thanks.

#3 ·
The battery in my '13 failed with similar symptoms. Not a complete failure, but just slow cranking in some instances. Batteries are not easy to test correctly, so I would get a second opinion on that before concluding the battery is ok. However, I'm willing to guess that's it's the battery (or connections). That's much more likely than the alternatives. Since the dealer won't replace it (it tested "ok" there), I suggest just taking the financial hit, installing a new battery, and be done with the problem. If that by chance doesn't fix it, at least you will have eliminated the number one cause of starting problems.

#8 ·
I had the same problem on my 2014 outback...the dealer found a service bulletin. UPG48 fail code.. type that into your search engine and you will see that subaru has a ECM software reprogramming code... i just had it done yesterday and hopefully it will solve the long start when it's cold outside....

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Yes I thought about that. It hasn't become a real problem yet just what could be the beginning of one. If it is the battery the problem should become more frequent with time. I still have 2,000 miles left on the warranty.

The reason I don't think it is the battery is because it seems totally unrelated to cold or how long the car sits. We have three cars for the two of us and sometimes it sits for a week and starts up fine. Other times it sits for two hours and then cranks slowly. It is really odd.

#5 ·
Your description sounds like a weak battery. At the same time, the fact that a retry seems to immediately start the engine sounds as if the fuel-pressure may not be built up before cranking.

Have you put the battery on a charger overnight?
Are you giving ample time for the fuel-pressure to build up BEFORE cranking?

I like to give my vehicle-batteries a good charge several times a year.... during normal use, some of the cells may not get fully charged up. At that point, the 'good' cells have to push current thru the weaker cells. (Making the ENTIRE battery weaker) Applying a full charge to the battery overnight will bring ALL the cells back to the same level. (This is called "equalizing" the battery)

Most vehicle-battery's are replaced LONG before they are actually bad. Shops make much more money SELLING batteries rather than keeping vehicle overnight to equalize the cells.

#7 ·
I'm so glad I'm not the only battery nerd, LOL! I guess it's my electronics background...
It's especially important if you drive short distances everywhere. The toll starting the car cannot be recovered on a 5min drive to work every day.
Also, If I know I'm going to be letting my car sit for a while I always put a trickle charge on the Battery, especially my new one because of all the background things going on while the car is sitting.
It's not that big a deal to plug your charger in and hook your battery up over night at least one a month, even once every 2~3 months would make a big difference.

#6 ·
Oh -- if you DO end up getting a new battery.,... Make CERTAIN it gets fully and completely charged up. The key to a long-n-strong battery is to fully charge it when first put into service.

I have purchased many dry batteries over the years and filled them with acid myself. A battery does not begin to 'wear out' until the acid is installed. A battery sitting on a shelf with acid in it is VERY bad for its life-expectancy.

If you do not wish to mess with acid, get your battery from a place like INTERSTATE BATTERIES. They manufacture some of the best batteries on the planet and have the equipment to fill with acid and keep them charged up to the moment you purchase them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.