Subaru Outback Forums banner

Goodbye Outback

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  gomjabber 
#1 ·
Well folks, it was time to part with our beloved 2012 Outback that we had for a little over 3 years and 65K miles.

Why did we get rid of it? Well - there wasn't a single thing wrong with it - loved the vehicle and everything it did for our family - however I wanted to be back in a driver's car and we no longer had the need for the Outback's size since the wife purchased a Ford Edge. I've never understood the criticisms of the Gen 4 Outback - yes it was bigger and softer than the prior Gen, but that's just what our growing family needed/wanted. The interior held up perfectly as did the paint and everything else. It was a beast of a car that NEVER saw the dealership once.

So, enter my new 2015 GTI

I've always had a fondness/desire to own a GTI and the new MK7 is just an incredible machine. Local dealership includes a 10Y/200K powertrain warranty in all purchases which was enough to get me over the mental barrier of owning a VW product again.

I will say, as someone who appreciates a great driving machine, VW nailed it. Incredible chassis/steering setup, 210hp/258ftlbs of torque is addicting, and my commutes are netting 35+ mpg despite the fact that I'm varying the RPM's a ton for break-in. Interior is a work of art (if you like minimal designs) and it's the quiestest vehicle I've ever owned.

I realize these are two different vehicles that cannot be compared, but just wanted to say thanks for all of the info and support over the past 3 years. This forum is filled with a pretty level-headed, pragmatic bunch and it's been a pleasure. I might post some pics up of my father's Gen 5 Outback Limited when it's delivered in a month (family just loves Subaru's)

Cheers :grin2:

See less See more
#4 ·
Interesting - no such clause in mine, it's simply a PowerCare warranty underwritten by EaseCare (pretty big warranty company in the business) with no stipulations except those in the standard clauses (such as abuse, normal wear and tear, etc)

No way you'd get me to fork over the $90/oil change the dealership wants on one of these to get the "extended coverage", I'll gladly continue doing it myself for $35 (although the dealership does provide 5 "free" oil/fluid changes in the purchase).

As some added coverage, I also utilize Geico's mechanical breakdown insurance as well which has great reviews. Covers up to 100K miles and costs me about $5/month. Cannot have too much peace of mind when owning a German car, I knew that fully well jumping back into one haha

#7 ·
Thanks!

Went with the "base" S trim as I wanted the tartan plaid interior - hardly a GTI to me without it! Only options it has is the DSG transmission, Lighting Package (adaptive xenon headlamps, interior/door ambient lighting strips), and the Driver Assistance Package (radar collision warning along with front and rear parking sensors/integrated parking view in headunit).

It appears that VW will be bringing the Golf Sportwagen Alltrak (AWD) to the U.S. in 2016 - they started building the AWD systems in Puebla on test lines a few months back and are starting to ramp up production. This will be a great car no doubt, but it's a class smaller than the Outback (some might not need the outback size)

#9 ·
Good question and "not really". I have not driven one, but did sit in one 3 weeks ago when helping my father order his Outback. The deffinently improved the interior over the prior model, but still not to VW levels of quality for my tastes. No doubt it is a faster vehicle as well plus AWD really helps with that much power so those looking for outright speed/handling would probably prefer the WRX platform.

What kept me from considering in the end was price, lack of hatchback, and I just really don't care for the styling (subjective opinion).

#11 ·
Congrats on the new ride...I see one in our future too...but not for a couple of years. Our TDI will then be 13 years old and if I can part with it...cause I love it...we will probably get the new Golf sport wagon alltrack as it will be on our shores by then...and yes...it will probably be another diesel. The one we have has, so far been a great car since purchased new in '04

#12 ·
Like it or not, the GTI is a classic.

If there is something to regret for the forum community, it is that your spouse purchased the Edge instead of your Outback!

#13 ·
this looks like a subaru lover to me,...sorry for your dog stuck in a Ford Edge.

#15 ·
Thanks all for the replys!

I agree - I wish my wife would've just kept the Outback, but she didn't care for the way it drove (wonderer) plus the uber-heavy steering from her prior cars. The Edge is a fantastic car to be honest - plenty of room for the family, silky-smooth V6, and all the bells and whistles one could need

Finally got around to cleaning/detailing her all up and getting some pictures. Still enjoying every second of driving this thing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.