3.6R Engine - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 3.6R Engine

I am looking for details on the 3.6R engine. It doesn't seem like there is much detail about it out there, or discussion about it.

Are there any exploded diagrams of it?

With the 4 banger there is a lot of talk about open versus closed deck and head gaskets. What is the 3.6R? Closed or Open? Do they ever have head gasket issues?

Besides being 2 cylinders bigger and having a timing chain instead of a belt what else is different about the 3.6R versus the 4 cylinder boxer engines?

Does anyone ever hotrod the H6 like they do the 4s?

Thanks for any input, links, pictures and discussion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

The old SVT 6 was and still is the only hot rod-able 6 in the line up. They put them in home built aircraft etc. The 2.5 non turbo is not modified by any smart hotrod types given there is little to nothing you can hotrod regarding the engine.

The 2.0 Turbo is the hotrod engine of choice given it has many after market options regarding chip sets and turbo kits and for the most part the WRX crowd has shown quite a bit can be done with it.

The 3.6 is in the same category as the 2.5 any hotrodding will be suspension and handling mods not engine mods

Of course if money is no object you could hot rod anything even the 3.6. Then if I had that kind of money I'd just get a new twin turbo 911 and call it good.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

The 3.6 is the updated version of the 3.3 that has been in use for the Tribeca for a few year I believe. All in all the older 3.0's are dang near bulletproof, I have no reason to expect different from the 3.6. Even better now that they do not require premium fuel for optimal performance.

Speaking of performance, there is little in the H6 aftermarket area. But the amount of horsepower and torque are about what my old Ford V8 had, the OB just weighs a little more and has less aggressive gearing in the 5 speed auto.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2010, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2011 OB Limited 3.6R

Double Overhead Camshafts (DOHC) driven by timing chain with automatic tensioner mechanism.
TRauppius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2010, 08:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

We have the 3.6 and love the power in it. Great on the highways for passing at high speeds and is not as bad on gas as some may think.... here in Canada we have been getting about 9/10 l/100km.
2011 Subaru 3.6R
2009 Yamaha V-Star 950
2009 Dodge Ram 2500
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500
2002 Mazda Protege 5
1987 Ford Tempo
1979 Chevy Suburban 454
1978 Buik Skylark
salp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2010, 08:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Legacy 3.6r
Send a message via AIM to sschmelcke

the 3.6 is a great engine. its quiet. strange enough its just as powerful as my 2.5xt but the power comes on much differently. makes the 2.5xt feel faster but in theory its not.
sschmelcke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2010, 08:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Legacy 3.6r
Send a message via AIM to sschmelcke

not to mention on a 1000 miles trip with 4 people and a loaded trunk i averaged 28mpg on 87 octane. something my 2.5xt could never do in its life. my wifes 2.5i averages this
sschmelcke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 08:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
With the 4 banger there is a lot of talk about open versus closed deck and head gaskets. What is the 3.6R? Closed or Open? Do they ever have head gasket issues?
3.6 (and 3.0) is open deck, like the 4-cylinder.

No reports I can recall about HG failures in the 3.6's but there's not too many of them and probably few with the usual accumulated mileage to tell one way or the other. There has been the odd report of a 3.0 with a HG failure; however the number doesn't seem to be anything like the earlier H4's.
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 08:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2011 OB Limited 3.6R
Default No Problem with Earlier Subaru 6 Cylinder...

I had a 1987 Subaru XT6 Coupe with the predecessor 3.0L H3 engine. This engine ran was running trouble free at 134,000 miles when the car got severely rear-ended.

This engine did not produce high HP, but it had plenty of smooth torque (grunt) compared to the 4 cylninder turbo I had in my 1985 Legacy (Legacy was a SW back in those days).

In general, the Fuji designs back then were simple, robust and did not rust-out compared to many contemporary vechicles.
TRauppius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Outback 3.6R

One other thing to mention is that the 3.6 has variable valve timing on both the intake and exhaust cams.

I don't know how the sales volume compares between 3.6R Outbacks, and the Tribeca (which has used the 3.6R engine since 2009), but the engine got at least one year of usage in the Tribeca before being used in the Outback.

Given that variable valve timing mechanisms exist on the 3.6R, it would be at least theoretically possible to apply more aggressive valve timing via a re-programming of the ECU. But the gains would be limited, and would probably entail some trade-offs. Since the performance emphasis is on the 2.5 turbo, there won't be any third-party effort put into 3.6R performance mods. (At least I would doubt it...)
Bobaru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: