Outback OEM Bug Shield - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool Outback OEM Bug Shield

Has anyone installed the bug shield on a 2010 or 2011 outback? Just wondering what your feedback is?

I actually ordered one for my car because of the constant rocks on the front end of the hood but after looking at it, it looks like it would do more damage over time to the paint than the rocks. It looks like it would rattle from the wind and I don't trust two sided tape over time.

Any feedback appreciated.

ps. I did order the anti sway bar. It should be to my house this week . Love to see how this does on a windy day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 06:51 PM

Car: 2000 Green OBW (Maia)
Send a message via AIM to SovereignAxe
It shouldn't rattle in the wind because at the front of the car it's getting clean smooth air. The design of the shield should only press it up against the hood.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 06:52 PM

Car: 2011 Outback 3.6 Limited with Moonroof & Navigation
The OEM one is screwed into 6 standoffs that are clipped on the hood. It appears to be pretty solid to me.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 07:08 PM

Car: 2015 Tungsten 2.5 Limited w/eyesight
I have one on my 2010 and it is rock solid and is great for protecting the front of the hood. I had one on my 2009 Forester and it was the same. Since they went to the new design they are much better. I would not be without one..
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 07:24 PM

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5 MT White
I have one on my o11. I like it because I can take it off easy to wax under it, by just removing the 6 screws. My 97 outback was a pain to get off and would get real dirty under it. The new one is a great fit and looks good on our pearl white Subie.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanamom View Post
Has anyone installed the bug shield on a 2010 or 2011 outback? Just wondering what your feedback is?

I actually ordered one for my car because of the constant rocks on the front end of the hood but after looking at it, it looks like it would do more damage over time to the paint than the rocks. It looks like it would rattle from the wind and I don't trust two sided tape over time.

Any feedback appreciated.

ps. I did order the anti sway bar. It should be to my house this week . Love to see how this does on a windy day.

The 2010/2011 Outback LeBra car mask is now (finally) available for less than $70. I purchased it and it looks very good on my 2010 Outback. I'll only use the top portion for shorter trips but the entire mask is easy to install for longer treks. If you know how to use a mask (and I do) you may wish to consider it.

(Please, no debates on mask versus shield versus invisible bra.)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 08:17 PM

Car: 2011 Outback 3.6R Limited--Sky Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datster2011 View Post
I have one on my o11. I like it because I can take it off easy to wax under it, by just removing the 6 screws. My 97 outback was a pain to get off and would get real dirty under it. The new one is a great fit and looks good on our pearl white Subie.
+1

The bug/stone shield on my '97 Outback was a pain to remove and to reinstall.

The one on my '02 Outback was a bit better in terms of removal and reinstallation, but it broke in an automatic car wash. Luckily, since I had ordered it as an option on that car, it was covered by the Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty, and was replaced at no charge.

The bug/stone shield on my '11 Outback is far sturdier and is attached much more securely than either of the two previous ones. Trust me--it does NOT rattle or even move. That is how rigid and well-secured it is.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 09:06 PM

Car: 2011 OB 2.5 CVT Limited
Also wanted to note that when it's installed, you can't see it from the drivers seat which is nice. It took a long time to install though because you have to place the 6 clips.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 10:01 PM

Car: '11 2.5i Premium PZEV
I installed one on our OB and love it. As previous posters have noted, it is not visible from the driver's seat and doesn't vibrate or make any noise. When properly installed it is very sturdy. Installation includes some clear 3M pads for the bumpers on the back of the shield to rest on, so as not to mar the paint/clearcoat. Additional pads are used for the clips to straddle the lip of the hood.

I found installation of the clips to be extremely frustrating and requiring much patience. Sway bar install was infinitely less aggravating. They're pretty tight and some can require some force to get on the hood. But ultimately a great product and solid installation.

2011 Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV CVT - Graphite Gray
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 10:49 PM

Car: 08' Outback Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by sph3re View Post
Installation includes some clear 3M pads for the bumpers on the back of the shield to rest on, so as not to mar the paint/clearcoat.
Sorry to take this a little off topic, but does anyone know a good source for getting some extra 3M clear strips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: