Subaru Outback Forums banner

Leaky Rear Hatch

11K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  hoppyjr 
#1 ·
All - I've had the car for about 3 1/2 years and this problem started about a month ago.

I've got a leak in the rear hatch. There is a piece of plastic trim at the top inside the hatch, and, there is a seam on the trim. When I open the hatch all the way after it has rained, water drips out of the seam as if that piece of trim is filled with water.

I took it to the dealer, they said the trim was cracked. It was replaced, and yesterday was the first day it rained since the repair, and, now the car is pretty wet inside. So, it's still leaking, maybe worse than before.

Any suggestions? The car has never been in an accident, so, nothing should be out of alignment.

Thanks,
Mark

#2 ·
Hatch leaking

I had this on my 2011 Premium, as did 2 others with 2011 OBs. It's great to know dealers have no clue. Lots of wasted time and $$$.

Pry off the upper trim piece on the hatch, start with a putty knife blade as it fits tight against the window. Using a 5/16" nut driver, tighten the nuts holding the 3rd brake light. On all three I fixed, the right side nut was just started or loose.

The gasket on the light should be ok, tighten it first and check it next rain. The gasket is not available as a part, only whole LED light assy/gasket for $60.00 Others have used 3M rope caulk as a gasket in the event you need to remove it again.

Go back to the dealer and get your money back.

#3 ·
I used some screen-door foam insulating tape from Lowe's. I removed all the OEM foam gasket (pretty thin stuff) and and lined the contact area of the high mounted brake light as well as the holes for the mounting studs with the insulating tape. I did note that the mounting studs/nuts were loose when I removed the brake light - appears that they might have been stripped somewhat during factory install. Went to the high-pressure car wash - no leaks.

#9 ·
I notice the same leak on my 2014 a few weeks ago. I pop the upper trim off and confirmed that it was leaking from the high mount brake light. Called the dealer and they told me to bring it in. Told me that they have had several Outback owners with the same issue and all where leaking from the brake light. The dealer said it was covered by the warranty and replace the brake light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.