Report of 2011 roof rack failure at highway speeds - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2010 2.5i CVT Outback
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Report of 2011 roof rack failure at highway speeds

Some of you are likely aware of the blog 2010 Subaru Outback Roof Rails… Should I Say Roof Rack FAILS!!! - GEAR.com

I just saw this very troubling post:

"Tony Acosta
I own a 2011 Subaru Outback with the infamous roof rails. Recently, I was carrying a Perception Aralite 14.5 ft kayak using a set of Yakima Bow Down J type racks. Yakima claims that the rack will attach to almost any type of factory rack. While traveling at about 65 mph and facing cross winds of 20 to 25 mph this fancy worthless roof rack failed. I almost lost the boat on the freeway. The Yakima rack did indeed hold on to the roof rack. The roof rack itself could not withstand the torque of the cross wind and snapped off at the point where it connects to the front to form a cross bar. The rear cross bar did not break but I will never trust these cross bars again. I have carried kayaks and canoes across the country using Yakima equipment on my old 98′ Volvo Cross Country wagon, 92′ Toyota 4 Runner and an old, old Isuzu Trooper without any problems. Subaru really messed this one up. I am looking at pulling my kayaks using a rigged up utility trailer.

December 14, 2010 at 8:07 pm
"
RedVash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2010, 04:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Any one that spends big money on toys which get hauled on the roof would be highly advised to spend good money on a proper rack. That is advised for any car regardless of the light weight rack it might come with.

The stock rack on my $50,000 landcruiser is total garbage and I wouldn't trust anything more than a couple of ski's mounted on it.

The stock Ob rack is held in place by small plastic teeth at the bottom of the socket yes I could see these failing if you are hauling something that can grab wind - boat - bike large ladder etc.

Which case if you really need a proper rack remove the stock plastic rack rails and have a proper rail installed for one of the usual brands Yakima or Thule brand rack systems.
subiesailor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2010, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would put money on it that the rack we have on the US OB was more about the SUV look than actual practical function. Given the flatter more aerodynamic tracks on the UK models make the OB look like a wagon vs a tough SUV LOL.

I'd take the UK flat rack rails with more adjustments and capable of supporting standard 3rd party quality rack feet over the silly its an SUV look at the tough plastic crap that auto makers pull in the US market.
subiesailor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 3rd Subaru. 2011 Ouback Limited with NAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedVash View Post
Some of you are likely aware of the blog 2010 Subaru Outback Roof Rails… Should I Say Roof Rack FAILS!!! - GEAR.com

I just saw this very troubling post:

"Tony Acosta
I own a 2011 Subaru Outback with the infamous roof rails. Recently, I was carrying a Perception Aralite 14.5 ft kayak using a set of Yakima Bow Down J type racks. Yakima claims that the rack will attach to almost any type of factory rack. While traveling at about 65 mph and facing cross winds of 20 to 25 mph this fancy worthless roof rack failed. I almost lost the boat on the freeway. The Yakima rack did indeed hold on to the roof rack. The roof rack itself could not withstand the torque of the cross wind and snapped off at the point where it connects to the front to form a cross bar. The rear cross bar did not break but I will never trust these cross bars again. I have carried kayaks and canoes across the country using Yakima equipment on my old 98′ Volvo Cross Country wagon, 92′ Toyota 4 Runner and an old, old Isuzu Trooper without any problems. Subaru really messed this one up. I am looking at pulling my kayaks using a rigged up utility trailer.

December 14, 2010 at 8:07 pm
"
OUCH! It will be interesting to see what Subaru says about this...
The human soul, in some ways like good helium, expands to whatever environment it has. Or conversely sinks to whatever ditch it is offered. That's where the real battles are waged-and waged continually. David Adams Richards

ZeeMaps - Subaru Outback.Org Owner Location: Show us where you are.

scoobydoo2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: '08 Veracruz Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydoo2 View Post
OUCH! It will be interesting to see what Subaru says about this...
Something similar to this, I'm sure:

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to contact us . Subaru of America has received a very small number of customer contacts about our crappy stock roof rack systems on the new Outback Wagons. Please know that we have heard from many more new Outback owners telling us how much they "LOVE" their Subaru vehicle and have no complaint about the crappy roof rack. Subaru of America has been working very closely with our dealers concerning this issue and our engineers have given it extensive thought while taking their 4 hour lunch break at the local watering hole.

We have what we know to be the right fix for this issue and we have recently issued two Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) to assist Subaru dealerships in acting like they are repairing vehicles that exhibit crappy roof rack syndrome (CRRS). Along with the TSBs, there have also been ongoing, imaginary design changes in production to address this concern.

As a company, we carefully monitor warranty claims and quality survey comments to watch for any trends or concerns that can lead to customer dissatisfaction. Please be assured that Subaru is very committed to customer satisfaction. We take a very defensive position when we become aware of a concern via our tracking methods or by monitoring owner contacts. Also, if for any reason you experience any concerns other than CRRS, we and our dealers are there to assist you if we can, but please don't get your hopes up.

Thank you again for your interest in Subaru products. If you need any future assistance, please let us know. Have a great day.

Sincerely,

Subaru of America, Inc.
1-800-SUBARU3"
fatabbot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2011 2.5i CVT Premium

There also is the possibility that the driver didn't have the cross bar fully clicked into place, or his clips were faulty. I always double check and make sure I hear a good solid click and pull up on the bar, before mounting anything.

I'm not saying it couldn't be a design problem, but I'm a little skeptical without hearing more than one account. This is one more reason why it might be nice to have locks that keep the bars in place though ...
guns&motorcycles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 3rd Subaru. 2011 Ouback Limited with NAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatabbot View Post
Something similar to this, I'm sure:
Thank you for taking the time to contact us . Subaru of America has received a very small number of customer contacts about our crappy stock roof rack systems on the new Outback Wagons. Please know that we have heard from many more new Outback owners telling us how much they "LOVE" their Subaru vehicle and have no complaint about the crappy roof rack. Subaru of America has been working very closely with our dealers concerning this issue and our engineers have given it extensive thought while taking their 4 hour lunch break at the local watering hole.

We have what we know to be the right fix for this issue and we have recently issued two Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) to assist Subaru dealerships in acting like they are repairing vehicles that exhibit crappy roof rack syndrome (CRRS). Along with the TSBs, there have also been ongoing, imaginary design changes in production to address this concern.

As a company, we carefully monitor warranty claims and quality survey comments to watch for any trends or concerns that can lead to customer dissatisfaction. Please be assured that Subaru is very committed to customer satisfaction. We take a very defensive position when we become aware of a concern via our tracking methods or by monitoring owner contacts. Also, if for any reason you experience any concerns other than CRRS, we and our dealers are there to assist you if we can, but please don't get your hopes up.

Thank you again for your interest in Subaru products. If you need any future assistance, please let us know. Have a great day.

Sincerely,

Subaru of America, Inc.
1-800-SUBARU3"
...say no more...
The human soul, in some ways like good helium, expands to whatever environment it has. Or conversely sinks to whatever ditch it is offered. That's where the real battles are waged-and waged continually. David Adams Richards

ZeeMaps - Subaru Outback.Org Owner Location: Show us where you are.

scoobydoo2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Location: Sometimes in Colorado - Sometimes in Pennsylvania - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor
Car: 2014 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Graphite ---- 'Rehomed' 2012 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Deep Indigo Pearl - Could be a Black Bumper Masonite car ---- "RIP" 2010 Outback - 2.5 CVT - Silver - So's my hair - what's left.

Any 'after failure' pictures?

Would like to see the problem.
Ali_pine is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2010, 09:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: '11 Black Outback 3.6R Ltd w/NAV & MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali_pine View Post
Any 'after failure' pictures?

Would like to see the problem.
+1 Pics!
19mm STI RSB
Molded license plate bracket
Painted fog surrounds (Krylon Fusion Flat Black)
Painted front bumper protector (Krylon Fusion Flat Black)
Painted Grill (Krylon Fusion Gloss Black)
Painted Brake Calipers (Dupli-Color Black)
shadow999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2010, 10:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5i Premium

Just because something will 'attach' to any factory rack, doesn't mean it will, necessarily, function with every rack, in every situation. IMO, the bars are too close to resist the wind loads imparted by a kayak. Thats fine by me, as I dont kayak. If it can hold a roof box... and fold out of the way, I'M happy.

Could be a one off defect too...
BentChainring is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: