Very Dim Headlights After Bulb Replacement - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2011 2.5i Premium 6MT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Very Dim Headlights After Bulb Replacement

Hey guys, I just replaced my H7 headlight bulbs yesterday and last night I noticed that they were very dim. I drove some last night and they were putting out almost no light at all, I had to turn the fogs on to really be able to see anything. Im guessing that I either got one of the connectors on backwards or not pushed on enough. Im gonna go check it right now, but just in case Im wrong, I wold welcome any other suggestions. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 04:27 PM

Car: 2011 Outback Limited. White, Sunroof, 2.5, CVT. Bought 2/15/11. Love it!
I'm assuming you made a change to a different bulb and not a replacement of a single one? If that's the case you may have purchased some POS lamps. You got bamboozled by the sales hype and the low price.

Just a thought~
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Could be I guess. I got the OSRAM H7 rallye+65 that is recommended several places on this site. I'll try putting the old ones back in and see what happens though.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Okay, I got it. I had the bulb turned wrong. I'll have to take it for a drive tonight, but they seem to look a lot brighter in the daylight. Guess it was a stupid mistake on my part. lol. Thanks for the suggestion though patchelect.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 06:28 PM

Car: Black 2010 OB 2.5i Premium CVT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback2 View Post
Okay, I got it. I had the bulb turned wrong. I'll have to take it for a drive tonight, but they seem to look a lot brighter in the daylight. Guess it was a stupid mistake on my part. lol. Thanks for the suggestion though patchelect.

I was just going to say you most likely put them in wrong...I did that with one of my HID's. Its very easy to have put them in the wrong way. Im sorry that you just happened to do it...The bulbs are the biggest PITA!!!!!!!!!!

The bulbs you got are good stuff.

Get them in the right way and im sure you will be good to go!

,Ryan
Upgrades:
Primitive light bar and skid plates, Yakima Mega warrior, 18mm RSB , RA mud flaps, Front windows tinted 35% , Subaru bug shield/hood protector, SS damlifier pro , Full LED interior , Phillips HID low beams , Kenwood Exelon DNX-6960 Nav unit, Alpine Type R 17s in front and 17c in back , Kicker 360.4 WANTED: Full interior SS luxury liner pro, Amp and sub, Body side molding.
Rolling on Nokian WRG2XL
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

I have never had a vehicle that it was such a pain to replace the headlights. It was about all I could do to fit my hands in there, I did it mostly by feel because I couldnt really see what I was doing. Oh well, its finally done right and hopefully shouldnt need to be replaced again for awhile. Thanks for the suggestion combatmedic870, even though a bit late, I still really appreciate it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 09:40 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback2 View Post
I have never had a vehicle that it was such a pain to replace the headlights. It was about all I could do to fit my hands in there, I did it mostly by feel because I couldnt really see what I was doing. Oh well, its finally done right and hopefully shouldnt need to be replaced again for awhile. Thanks for the suggestion combatmedic870, even though a bit late, I still really appreciate it.
If you dont use them much they should last you 3-4 years. If you work....say 7am-7pm like me you will use them alot(mostly/especially during the winter) and will have to change them out a bit more, like once a year...DONT NOT USE THE AUTO HEADLIGHT FEATURE. It will turn on you lights every time you go under a over pass and kill your lights quick. I learned that by personal experience(my headlights lasted a mere 3 months).

,Ryan
Upgrades:
Primitive light bar and skid plates, Yakima Mega warrior, 18mm RSB , RA mud flaps, Front windows tinted 35% , Subaru bug shield/hood protector, SS damlifier pro , Full LED interior , Phillips HID low beams , Kenwood Exelon DNX-6960 Nav unit, Alpine Type R 17s in front and 17c in back , Kicker 360.4 WANTED: Full interior SS luxury liner pro, Amp and sub, Body side molding.
Rolling on Nokian WRG2XL
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 04:04 PM

Car: 2011 OB 2.5i Ltd Ruby Red Pearl w/ Ivy Interior
A Consumer Reports issue found that the regular headlights of 2010/2011 Subie OB's are WEAK. (High beams rated well).

My other car has awesome headlights that really go a distance, as well as go up about 8-10 feet high alongside road on passenger side. Sure would like to have that in the OB .

Any tech guys know what would work to replace the stock bulbs ?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 04:06 PM

What outback2 put in would work really well for you or you could try the HID option for more cost.

,Ryan
Upgrades:
Rolling on Nokian WRG2XL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: