Extended Cold Weather Prep - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-21-2010, 12:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2003 BMW M3 and 2011 Outback 2.5i Premium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Extended Cold Weather Prep

I am going to be spending some time for work (14 weeks to be exact) out in the columbia gorge in oregon this winter. For those who dont know the area, it gets REALLY EFFIN COLD! Anything you can suggest about cold weather prep? I am going to look at getting the gear oil changed possibly as it gives me trouble in cold starts in portland, and its not even that cold. Should the anti-freeze be fine?

Thanks!
billybobbovine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 01:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hey Billy the Gorge isn't that cold but if your in LA right now yes its cold. LOL

Fresh coolant a good idea and take a nice jacket that cuts the wind you'll need it.
subiesailor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 01:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2003 BMW M3 and 2011 Outback 2.5i Premium

ahahah I know its not THAAAAAT cold, but definitely colder than i am used to. Cold starts on the 6MT are really frustrating though.
billybobbovine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 01:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobbovine View Post
ahahah I know its not THAAAAAT cold, but definitely colder than i am used to. Cold starts on the 6MT are really frustrating though.
A friend up at 8500 Ft in Colorado switched to synthetics during the winter due to her Tribeca freezing up right around 25below zero start won't even turn over. The synthetic helped along with a battery with higher cranking amps given with the cold the cranking amps tend to fade a bit. Have someone do a little health check on your battery cold temps kill weak batteries dead really fast.
subiesailor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 05:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Battery tender. Block heater. Down underwear and everything else! Or as they do in Alasksa. Never turn the car off.
Red Duc 996 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 07:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl

I personally believe it never gets cold enough in the gorge to justify a Battery Tender, or a Block heater, but that is just me. -20F Nights in Montana, yeah I was glad I had a block heater, but that was about it. In your case, just make sure your coolant is up to spec (-40*F rated or better). Get some de-icing windshield washer fluid. Become good friends with all the heating elements scattered around your car, including the seat heaters, windshield wiper defrosters, rear window defroster, and rear view mirror defrosters.

Another luxury item, is a remote starter. Nothing better than hitting that button in the morning, and coming out to a nice toasty car.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Snow hound

Car: 07 OB Ltd

Shouldn't have any issues, because many of us live in very cold areas with no issues. I know guys that live way up north in Canada with no block heaters and they do just fine.
Willjones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 09:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: Upcoming 2011 ugly Outback

Yup, for us Canucks it's not cold until it's -40. At which point we wear our long johns to go play hockey, eh!

Seriously, I never had an issue with any of my subies in the cold and I have a cottage in Northern Quebec which is on an island with no hydro (I drive across the frozen lake to get to my cottage in winter).

You may consider switching to a good cold weather synthetic oil but that's about it. Remote starter is nice too as your car gets to heat up before you wear and tear it but not mandatory.
Maven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: