replaced iPhone and bluetooth won't connect - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback Sport
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default replaced iPhone and bluetooth won't connect

Hi all,

I have a 2011 Outback Sport and have loved every minute of it. The bluetooth integration has always worked flawlessly for my iphones. I started with an iPhone 3G, upgraded to the iPhone 4 and didn't see any hiccup with the bluetooth connectivity. I recently received a new iPhone 4 from the Apple store because my previous one had an issue with the camera. I tried to pair the new phone and it appeared to connect and work well. When I got into my car later that day, the car said BT-A No Device. And that is the story ever since.

I've tried to delete the device from the car and from the phone to re-pair the two from scratch. The phone states that it's connected to the car, while the car still shows "No Device". Turning the car off/on to try to pair yields the same results.

I'm not convinced that this is solely an issue with the car as before I got this new iphone 4, everything seemed to work fine. I'm just at a loss as to why the car is having trouble finding the phone when the phone says it's connected.

I'm not sure how to take the issue back to the Apple store considering when looking at the phone it says clearly that it's connected to the car's bluetooth.

Any tips or tricks? Is it worth disconnecting the battery to try to re-pair the two?
Sno4Me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

You switched phones? Any chance the old phone and the new phone are being viewed with the same name? Yet the two phones will have different blue tooth coding. First step is to remove the paired phone in the cars system so that it does not have any paired phone with that name. Then try it again. Also be sure your bluetooth on your phone is turned on or your going to be messing with it for a long time till you sort out that the phone was not running blue tooth to start with.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesailor View Post
First step is to remove the paired phone in the cars system so that it does not have any paired phone with that name....Also be sure your bluetooth on your phone is turned on...
Yes, I did remove the phone from the car like I previously mentioned.

And yes, of course the bluetooth on the phone is turned on. like I said, the phone connects to the car no problem. It's the car that won't recognize the phone.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback Limited 3.6R

I'd delete the profiles on both car and phone and start from scratch.

While we're on the topic, I need to decide on a new phone/carrier this week. Going iPhone4/AT&T is one option, Android(probably Incredible)/Verizon is the other. I'm currently a Blackberry Storm/Verizon.

How happy are you guys with your iPhones and using with the OB?
gdiener is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

yes, both profiles have been deleted numerous times at this point. I've also restored the phone clearing any bluetooth memory.

Now I'm dealing with this... The car will connect to the phone and play music, but will not connect to the point where I can make/receive phone calls. The bt icon appears on the car's stereo screen, but the reception bar and battery status do not.

Anyone run into this? This is getting really annoying. The bluetooth is completely unreliable at this point, if it works at all.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

Sounds like a security setting in the phone
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

For my Blackberry I have two BT connections. One to the phone and one to the multimedia (music). I believe I added them individually from the respective screens (phone menu, audio menu) but I'm not near the car so can't confirm.

I know that sounds confusing but I suppose there are people who have separate BT devices ie. iPod Touch for music and a Blackberry phone connected simultaneously.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 3.6R Limited

I believe there are two separate BT devices available in the Outbacks. The phone one comes with the upgraded stereo in the Limited, but the audio comes with the streaming media hub option so it makes sense that there would be two connection to be made.

Sno4me, do you have any friend's with iPhones? If so I'd see if you can get them to connect to your Outback and if they work properly, then you have a case to make with Apple/ATT that there is a problem with your phone's bluetooth. Also, have you updated it to the latest iOS? I know there was a thread stating this fixed a lot of problems people were having.

gdiener - My wife has an incredible and it's a great phone. If you're really interested in an iPhone though, Verizon should be announcing theirs this week so you may want to wait on that.
Radar5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdiener View Post
I'd delete the profiles on both car and phone and start from scratch.

While we're on the topic, I need to decide on a new phone/carrier this week. Going iPhone4/AT&T is one option, Android(probably Incredible)/Verizon is the other. I'm currently a Blackberry Storm/Verizon.

How happy are you guys with your iPhones and using with the OB?
I actually had to give up my iphone 4 due to connection problems and when it did connect I could not be understood over the line. I talk often when I am in the car and I needed a phone which would function effortlessly. So far my Samsung Fascinate via Verizon has worked extremely well. The reception on both ends is more than satisfactory.
currahee66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar5 View Post
I believe there are two separate BT devices available in the Outbacks. The phone one comes with the upgraded stereo in the Limited, but the audio comes with the streaming media hub option so it makes sense that there would be two connection to be made.
I should have specified that I have the factory Nav so mine is an all-in-one unit but still has two connections.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: