Subaru Outback Forums banner

Diminished value

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  KansasOutback 
#1 ·
Hello, I have a 2013 Subaru Outback Limited that is in great condition. I am considering trading it in on a 2016 Outback with the eyesight package.

As I was reading through the Subaru Guaranteed Trade Program (GTP) I saw that vehicles involved in accidents were not eligible. Two years ago, I was rear ended at a low speed and the rear bumper needed to be replaced.

I ran the Carfax and it is completely clean. I also ran AutoCheck and it does indicate an accident based upon a police report.

I guess I will go to Carmax and let them appraise the Outback and see where the value lands.

Ultimately my question is, does anyone have experience trading in a vehicle with previous accident damage? (the body shop did not find anything beyond the cosmetic damage and it has not had any problems with driving)

#3 ·
GTP is for chumps. Your car is probably worth $1500 more as
a normal dealer trade-in -- or $2-$3k more in a private sale.
At least that's how KBB evaluates my 2013 Legacy Limited.

Looby

#7 ·
Absolutely true...... GTP is like other no-dicker pricing anywhere - it is for those buyers that are too timid or lazy to negotiate a firm deal with trade. Dealerships live to see this type of buyer walk onto the showroom floor cuz it means an extra $2K in $$$$ in their pockets. It's these same type of buyers that add thousands of high margin dealer add ons and when the sales people give them an extra $1 or so in trade value, they convince themselves that they got a super deal LOL

#6 ·
FYI I traded my 2013 with 37K miles and 2 door dings and got $19,500.00 ($26,500.00 new) on the trade on a 2016 in August. The 2016 have way more creature comforts. Same Basic Car. Love the power tail gate >:) And they also fixed the problem with changing out the headlights. Aluminum hood is also much nicer.

Go for it :grin2:

#8 ·
Thanks for the input. I still plan to run it by Carmax to see how they value the car. And have also been checking KBB and other sites for current value. In Kansas I can not pay sales tax on the trade value in the deal, so in my case we are talking over $2000. The big catch of course is that I have to trade it in on a vehicle at a dealership.

#9 ·
Yes, I was also about to point out a part of the calcuation many miss (myself included) - sales tax is assessed on the difference between the trade in and the new car price. So for a newish vehicle, that can come out to a lot (9.945% here in the people's republik of Boulder). So about that 2k tax difference by trade-in vs private sale you mention.

#12 ·
I traded one of my '11 Outbacks for a new '14 Outback. The '11 had about 50k miles on the clock and a collision report in CarFax (similar to this thread - rear end hit, bumper replacement). And it was a smoker-used vehicle. Subaru dealer gave me $16k trade for it without batting an eye (not eligible for Guaranteed Trade as I was second owner) in addition to $2500 off MSRP of $25300 for an Out The Door of $24500. Depending on the dealer you'll do fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.