Hood Bug Shield - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #21 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Ouback Premium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Looks pretty slick - Nice
simple9rts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2011, 02:39 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
Here it is installed ... this is OEM Australian bonnet protector (and headlight ones). The mount is substantially more solid (actual screws) than the one I got for my old Accord Euro / Acura TSX. Also the gap is much smaller, so cleaning will be interesting. However I reckon it looks great.

Hi Jorgen,

I am from Melbourne too. May I ask where you bought the bonnet protector, headlight protectors and foglight protectors? They are so perfectly fitted on Outback.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Vincent
kin916 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 08:48 AM   #23 (permalink)

I've been looking for the link for the headlamp protectors on the aussie subaru site but its not there anymore....I was really hoping to get my friend to mail them over.
tracks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 05:42 AM   #24 (permalink)
Alx

I would never get one of these bits of acrylic junk again, unless the design has changed significantly. I had one on my 2003 liberty and now again, same problems on 2008 Outback. Both were genuine Subaru.
1. hard to clean underneath, leaves and junk build up in there.
2. the metal clips and screws rust very quickly (not stainless) and are likely to do more damage to your paintwork than the occasional stone chip.
3. the guard rubs on the front grille and corners of the bonnet causing damage.

A waste of money IMO. Get some touch up paint and fill any stone chips, you will be better off.

Headlamp protectors: same again. The headlamps now are made of tough polycarbonate, far stronger than the acrylic stone guard. It simply is not necessary.
Alx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #25 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5i Limited - Graphite Gray

I've been doing a bit of research on here and thinking about purchasing this hood protector. Did most of you put the 3M strip down first? What size strip did you put down? I don't have any 3M installers close to me, so going there asking for scraps isn't an option.

Thanks!
souperjen24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #26 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souperjen24 View Post
I've been doing a bit of research on here and thinking about purchasing this hood protector. Did most of you put the 3M strip down first? What size strip did you put down? I don't have any 3M installers close to me, so going there asking for scraps isn't an option.

Thanks!
I read a lot prior to putting my bug shield on. I also inquired at a couple shops about the 3M strip. The cheapest I could get a small strip for was $160 bucks. Nuts.

Anyway, in the end, I really don't see what good the 3M strip would do on a 2013. The bug shield comes with a half dozen of the 3M strip "tabs" for you to put on the paint where the screws and tabs come in contact with the paint. I don't see how the shield in and of itself would ever make contact with the paint unless some force was applied to it (then it has bump-stops on it for that).

Use the included 3M tabs and make sure the bump-stops are aligned correctly and you'll be fine.
Tom28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #27 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5i Limited - Graphite Gray

Thanks Tom! I was also looking at the magnet bras too. So many choices and decisions and things to consider!
souperjen24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #28 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Baja

I have used plastic bug shields on my cars earlier. About 6 years ago I switched to plastic film bras and I am using those ever since (05 and 2010 Foresters and now 2013 OB). In my opinion, the plastic film bra is the best. After all, Subaru uses that film also on rear fender by rear wheel well to protect that area from flying rocks. Not that many people even notice that film - but it's there. And it's also on all door edges.
jogosub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #29 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by souperjen24 View Post
Thanks Tom! I was also looking at the magnet bras too. So many choices and decisions and things to consider!
I have had the Magnet Bra on my '12 OB for close to 6 months now. Still looks as good as the day I bought it. I am very happy with it. Installation was a bit time consuming trying to get everything centered, and then I couldn't get all the wrinkles out. Left it on the car in the hot sun for about an hour and when I came back outside, voila! It was like a second skin on the hood. I would not hesitate to recommend it. Magnetic car bras, auto hood bra, nose mask for your car, truck or SUV :: Home
Soon2bSubaru is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #30 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 3.6L Limited with EyeSight

Very pleased with the quality of the OEM Bugshield and its looks / performance.
147_Grain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: