OB Lane Wandering - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #11 (permalink)

Car: 2011 2.5i Premium CVT Azurite Blue Pearl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

crosswind driving

kerneld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

Car: 2010 OB 3.6R limited

that is one scary airport to land .... The buildings are so close... You can actually see what TV show the people in the high rise are watching....
The new airport are much better.
awd-gg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2011, 09:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

Car: 2011 2.5 premium
Send a message via ICQ to mtnfun2

Now that I have my new steering column and front lower arm asb. as part of my shaker repair the steering feel is now very solid, I have yet to encounter any of those mysterious driving on ice moments that I used to get in the middle of summer. At times it would feel like I hit a small patch of ice with a loss of steering feel. I am now looking fwd to trying it out in a high crosswind to see if it has a more secure feel
mtnfun2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2011, 05:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Outback 2.5i

My OB also is a wanderer. I had an alignment after I took delivery which helped some but it still didn't have good directional stability at speeds of 65mph+. I performed the RSB mod which helped somewhat but still less than ideal. I have a suspicion that the factory lower control arms don't have enough caster designed into them and hence the wandering. Maybe they have corrected this with the new ones in the shaker kit. I'm going to let things settle down with the new kits and if results are good I'll try to get the TSB done on my wanderer.
HDNVALLEY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #15 (permalink)

Car: '11 Ruby 2.5 cvt Premium AW/Moonroof

I'm wondering about the new "fix" parts, too. Even if there's no shake, all the new parts implies that the old parts aren't quite what they should be.

I think adjusting my tire psi and the new RSB help a good bit, but i think there's more to it--like the control arms.

mtnfun2>> Best of luck that the "fix" fixed it! Keep us up to date, it could be our answer, too.
2nd Subie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2011, 11:01 PM   #16 (permalink)

Car: Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 5.7 Hemi, Tow IV Package

Had the OB out in 40- 50 mph gusts today. Boy did it move about! but so did every other car on the interstate. It was crazy! Every car on the road would shift left in concert.
I didn't find it unusual, and was easily corrected with a twitch of the wrist on the wheel.

-The Titanic was built by professionals, but the Ark by amateurs

-Accelerate until you see God, wait 3 seconds, then hit the brakes.

www.marrc.org
the evil twin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2011, 01:11 AM   #17 (permalink)

Car: 2010 OB 3.6R limited

it happen to me a few days ago... I was on an elevated higyway interchange and suddenly a gust of cross wind hit the car, the car started to drift left, have to correct the steering wheel a bit from going into the other lanes...it didn't help when one of my hand was holding a phone!!!! I was going abt 55-60 mph at that time.... Once the car settle down, I did notice (thru' rear view mirror) a few other car/suv/trunk have the same problem...Only a Corvette appear unaffected.
Man! Can't believe my OB with 8.7" ground clearance handle worse than a corvette!!!!
LOL!
awd-gg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2011, 08:53 AM   #18 (permalink)

Car: Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 5.7 Hemi, Tow IV Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by awd-gg View Post
...it didn't help when one of my hand was holding a phone!!!!
...Man! Can't believe my OB with 8.7" ground clearance handle worse than a corvette!!!!
LOL!
If you hadn't been holding your phone, you'd have taken the 'Vette

-The Titanic was built by professionals, but the Ark by amateurs

-Accelerate until you see God, wait 3 seconds, then hit the brakes.

www.marrc.org
the evil twin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #19 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Outback 2.5i, 6MT

had more white knuckle driving than i cared for yesterday heading up and down I95 on the CT/NY corridor. had to really slow down to 45-50mph with death grip on the steering wheel to the point that i didn't dare change the radio station even though flock of seagulls song was driving me nuts

i've got the thicker RSB, tires at 32/30 - everytime i take it to the subie dealer for service they pump it up to 36 all around - are they trying to tell me something?

i want to believe it's the Conti's and not the subie that is inherently unstable - yes, super high speed winds, but when numerous Yugo-sized cars zip by me with no visible issues, i'm left wondering (and yearning for my 2001 subie tank).
OutbackCT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #20 (permalink)

Car: '08 Veracruz Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by awd-gg View Post
it happen to me a few days ago... I was on an elevated higyway interchange and suddenly a gust of cross wind hit the car, the car started to drift left, have to correct the steering wheel a bit from going into the other lanes...it didn't help when one of my hand was holding a phone!!!! I was going abt 55-60 mph at that time.... Once the car settle down, I did notice (thru' rear view mirror) a few other car/suv/trunk have the same problem...Only a Corvette appear unaffected.
Man! Can't believe my OB with 8.7" ground clearance handle worse than a corvette!!!!
LOL!
Make light of the problem all you want, but in the end be glad your OB doesn't suffer from the same directional stability problems mine does. If anyone has an OB that behaves like mine does and finds it acceptable, then I have a few plots of ocean front property for sale in Oklahoma that you might be interested in.

If you're ever in TX, hit me up and I'll take you for a run on the local turnpike. Just bring your dramamine
fatabbot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: