Transmission Fluid Changes - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2010 outback
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Transmission Fluid Changes

I had my 2010 Outback in today for an oil change at 17,000 miles at my local Subaru dealer. They told me that I should have changed my transmission fluid at 15,000 miles and should have the service performed every 15,000 miles. Is this one of their bogus service requirements? The owners manual requires an inspection at 15,000 mles. What gives ???
I have a 2005 outback with 79,000 miles and never changed my transmission fluid and it runs great.
Andybee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5i Premium AWP, CVT, Pearl White, Rear Bumper Cover, Mud Guards, XM Radio, Build Date 10/10

You have the CVT? Funny. The service manager at my dealership told me that nothing needs to be done to the transmission unless there is towing involved or it starts to leak. It is supposed to be a 200,000 mile maintenance free tranny in most cases. I would probably have it changed out every 50,000 miles for piece of mind. Who knows, if it doesn't spring a leak it may last 200,000. I really wish it had a dipstick though.
BBOWL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: '08 Veracruz Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybee View Post
They told me that I should have changed my transmission fluid at 15,000 miles and should have the service performed every 15,000 miles. What gives ???
They are full of ****. Just go by the maintenance guide that you got with the car.

A car that requires transmission fluid changes every 15k under normal use is a car that belongs in a crusher.
fatabbot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl

The maint sched has AT/CVT as I-nspect at 30K, nothing at 15K.
I would’ve asked them how much to replace the signal-lights fluid.
GasGuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

Go by the manufacture service, the dealer is just trying to get you money. Which can be found here: 2010 Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period

Also, you do need to change the ATF in your 2005 eventually you know. Subaru HP ATF fluid.
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/subaru...000Maintenance

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would go with the manual book. But keep in mind that the CVT tranny is a fairly new product in cars. I think its the first for Subaru. I used to have a 2006 Civic hybrid with a CVT and the only problems with them was the infrequent changes of the tranny would cause premature failure. Honda also created a special fluid for the tranny. If its not too expensive why not change it at 50k.
Has anyone actually looked at a lifetime tranny fluid at a 100k, if I remember its not too pretty looking but then again thats what the inspections are for to find the change in the fluid and replace it when needed.
bajer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 09:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 5.7 Hemi, Tow IV Package

I had to lol at this. I took my company car in for regular service (Ford) and they told me the same thing. I asked them to put a note on the oil change ticket and I'd get "approval" for it. They did, I let them change the fluid, then refused to pay. I explained that I had a service ticket showing that a trans flush was due at 15k, but the manual and Fords website said 30k even for heavy service and asked to call 800-392-3673 (Ford HQ) to make sure it was required.
I didn't pay for the oil change either

-The Titanic was built by professionals, but the Ark by amateurs

-Accelerate until you see God, wait 3 seconds, then hit the brakes.

www.marrc.org
the evil twin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2010 2.5i

That is very funny indeed... I scheduled an transmission fluid change for my 2010 2.5i w/CVT at the dealership where I bought my car (along with some other general maintenance) for yesterday since my car is sitting at 51k and this is how the conversation went:
Service Rep: "You sir have a VVT and you cannot change the fluid on it."
Me: "VVT? Do you mean CVT?"
Service Rep: "No sir, VVT."
Me: "Hmm... What does the first V stand for?"
Service Rep: "I believe it's Variable something. In any case, our guys say it's sealed tight and you'd have bigger problems than just replacing fluid if was ever dirty."

I searched the forums a bit before scheduling the change and they knew the make/model before scheduling, so I am really curious to see one dealership as mentioned in this thread recommending transmission fluid changes for a CVT every 15k miles and another recommending it never being done.

I believe I've heard somewhere that the CVT's are built in a clean room and that there is essentially no rebuilding them since a service store with a clean room is unheard of, so that gives some credence to what the service rep. at my dealership said the other day... but he also called it a VVT which makes me think he has no idea what he's talking about (granted, the guy who told him probably does have a clue).

I'm really confused about what should be done based on the conflicting advice from this thread and my dealership and ultimately want to do what is best for my car. Any advice?
statueim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)

He's confusing the abreviation for variable valve timing with continuously variable transmission. Your fluid is lifetime unless you are towing per your owners's manual.
mpnret is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2010 2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpnret View Post
He's confusing the abreviation for variable valve timing with continuously variable transmission. Your fluid is lifetime unless you are towing per your owners's manual.
I do tow on occasion. I've read the owner's manual, but it also says that it's lifetime fluid on older outback's as well for what I've read in the forums and why do people still recommend a fluid change? I agree with Brucey's statement here: Changing Automatic Transmission Fluid (is easy)

I would tweak what Brucey said just slightly to: Lifetime means long enough to keep most people happy and come back to buy another new Subaru.

However, I want to run the car for as long as I can and want to keep it tip-top until that time.
statueim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: