Towing my new camping trailer - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-19-2011, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Outback 2.5i Premium 6MT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Towing my new camping trailer

I picked up my new camper today, an Aliner Ranger. It weighs about 1,350lbs dry. I have electric brakes on the trailer and a Tekonsha Primus IQ controller installed.

Towing was much easier than I expected. The Outback pulled with no problems and didn't really seem to mind the weight back there.

The place I picked up the trailer was about 115 miles away. Going there I got 26.4mpg from the computer and on the way home with the trailer it said 24.3mpg. Not too shabby.

Basically, I just wanted to let people know that my 2.5i with 6MT can tow a popup camper just fine... no need for a big V8 truck.
jon595 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited

any pictures? how's the room in the Aliner Ranger? i bet its nice not having to worry about canvas.

we've got an old Jayco. just did a bunch of work to it including replacing all of the wood in the cap. canvas looks new. all in all, its kinda cool having this old setup in such great shape. also, it has a big a/c unit on it. a necessity down here in Texas.
SpikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Jon just ordered this one -
Costco - LifetimeŽ Camping Tent Trailer

It will double as the boat trailer for the 12ft sailing dinghy - tent trailer and when needed the haul junk trailer. And based on all the measurements taken I can fit it in my garage in front of my Landcruiser. Wife gets the other side of the garage and - my daily driver OB tends to get the driveway.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2011, 11:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2.5 CVT
Default Installing Primus IQ brake controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon595 View Post
I picked up my new camper today, an Aliner Ranger. It weighs about 1,350lbs dry. I have electric brakes on the trailer and a Tekonsha Primus IQ controller installed..
Hi jon, did you wire the brake controller yourself?

I have just ordered a camper and and was handed the brake controller.

Did you connect brake signal wire from brake switch or from brake lights in back of car?
JOD in OZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2011, 11:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOD in OZ View Post
Hi jon, did you wire the brake controller yourself?

I have just ordered a camper and and was handed the brake controller.

Did you connect brake signal wire from brake switch or from brake lights in back of car?
I took the car to a local RV dealer and had them do it. I'm glad I did as it took them 2 hours to install. The guy said that it wasn't terribly difficult, but since it's a unibody vehicle, he ran the wires through the interior of the car from the front to the back. Cost was about $200 installed for a Tekonsha Primus IQ controller.

I've towed the trailer about 600 miles total so far and have had zero issues. As long as I pay attention to what gear I'm in, the 2.5i tows my 1,800lb loaded trailer just fine.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2.5 CVT

Ta for that.

I will be towing an Avan camper about 800kg with CVT - should be OK

BTW Jon - how do you guys in the States get the weight so low - 1340 lbs. My Aliner in Australia is 12 ft long body and weighs 800kg which is around 1900 lbs. Not sure why the big difference.

John
JOD in OZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
BTW Jon - how do you guys in the States get the weight so low - 1340 lbs. My Aliner in Australia is 12 ft long body and weighs 800kg which is around 1900 lbs. Not sure why the big difference.
It all depends on the model you have, year it was made and options on it. I have an 2011 Aliner Ranger. My options are single propane tank, single deep cycle battery and small fridge. The weight is probably closer to 1,500lbs dry.

If I would have went with the 'Classic' model, which is the fully featured 12ft Aliner, then the weight probably would have been around 1,600 or 1,700 lbs.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Graphite 3.6r Outback w/o Nav
Default Tongue Slack

I had a hitch put on this past Friday. I towed a rather large flatbed trailer with a large loading gate. Subie did not like the aerodynamics of the loading gate. I could feel a large "pulse" at times. I am assuming it was trailer pulling back on the vehicle. Any hoo, I don't pull trailer that often so it worked out just fine.

Question I have is about the tongue fitting into the receiver. There was a lot of play when it was hooked up and was just plain loud clanking sound.

Anyone run into this and what is there to do about it?
atckc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 08:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car: '10 OB 2.5 Premium (hers) '02 Jetta TDI wagon (mine)

Re: the "clanking" - I've run into the same issue when towing with my previous vehicle (Liberty CRD). It was a class 2 hitch, but regardless, it made a real ruckus when towing empty (like a U-Haul 5x8 enclosed trailer). I took some 1/16" thick rubber sheet and cut some small strips that I glued to the ball mount with 3M "77" adhesive.

It tool a little cut and try to get the play out of it and still have the hitch locking pin align with the holes through the receiver and ball mount. But in the end, it really helped reduce the clank and bang.
Europachris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 07:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Question Still towing?

Jon,

We're curious if you're still towing the Ranger with your Outback & how many miles it has been? Any transmission or other issues with the OB? We have a 2011 OB 2.5i with the CVT (so a little different from yours) and are current looking at purchasing an Aliner Ranger. We like to know from someone else who has towed something like this for some time what to possibly expect. Thanks!
11Sube is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: