Subaru Outback Forums banner

Heated Seat Install

17K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  ibmfmccabe 
#1 ·
Heated Seat Install DIY??

Anyone installed heated seats themselves? I have the documents to remove seat from the car but not the actual procedure for installing the heating elements.

Also does anyone know how much is pre-wired? Might the seat be wired already? car is probably wired for heated just nothing to connect or control it?

Thanks in advance!

2.5I Outback wagon US model.

#7 ·
I have those documents and noticed it showed the elements in there on the manual seat, that is actually what prompted my thinking it could be there. But odd according to the Subaru sheets heated seats on manual seats was not an option.

#9 ·
It's a safe guess that the wiring harness connection point is on all legacy's and outbacks they only install one wiring system. Though the add on items like heated seats - fancy lights, sun roof - powered mirrors etc all are additional wiring harnesses which plug into the main system at some point. So its safe to assume that all you would need is the heated seat kit which would come with the small harness that plugs into the main power system at a specific spot probably under the center console and probably the same power source as the sig lighter in the center console. As for the heating pads they are just pads which are slipped under the seat cover not a big deal and the seats won't have them unless you have heated seats.

#18 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum.
I'm trying to swap power, heated seats, from a 2008 into 2009 Outback. The harness is not the same coming up thru the carpet. Is there a sub-harness somewhere to swap? I followed it back to the door sill and it seems to be one piece headed to the rear. Am I looking at replacing the whole harness or splicing into whats there? I see discussions on gen 2 and 4 but not much on Gen 3 ( 2005-2009). THANKS!

#11 ·
So our car does have the fuse in place for the heated seats according to the chart at the drivers knee bolster. Although it appears without removing the seat to see if the elements are in it they are not connected in any way. Drivers side has two connections, Air bag and seat belt. Passenger side has Air bag, seatbelt and Weight sensor. So maybe the wiring is there in the seat and the car, but needs to be connected. Will have to wait till I have time to pull the seat and see under the flooring / in the seat.

Anyone have removal instructions for the center console (where cup holders are)?

#14 ·
So our car does have the fuse in place for the heated seats according to the chart at the drivers knee bolster. Although it appears without removing the seat to see if the elements are in it they are not connected in any way. Drivers side has two connections, Air bag and seat belt. Passenger side has Air bag, seatbelt and Weight sensor. So maybe the wiring is there in the seat and the car, but needs to be connected. Will have to wait till I have time to pull the seat and see under the flooring / in the seat.

Anyone have removal instructions for the center console (where cup holders are)?
Hope I did this right, Schematics for center console courtesy of Scoobydoo2:)

Attachments

#13 ·
Are you saying the actual fuse is installed, and not a vacant/empty fuse-holder?
Is #17/15A Front Wiper Deicer also fused, same with eng fuse box #25/25A Rear Window Defogger, Mirror Heater, Front Wiper Deicer?

I’m not convinced the heating pad isn’t there, yet. It’s indicated in the parts diagram.
Could be... The seats are sub-contracted, delivered to factory/assembly complete. At what cost/logistics, there a 2 pads per seat. There is 1 PN/inventory per 1-DS/1-PS cloth, only the base won’t have the AWP option. The AWP is an option electrical kit at the factory line, ie: relays/fuses/switches/sub-harnesses. What is the cost/integration ratio and distribution between Std/Prem/Ltd.
Who knows.

#17 ·
So, do you find the time to finish this? I have been through it almost to the end :/ the difference is i got seats from a trashed legacy -05 and switch from a specb -05. I guess wire harness is the same in all legacys and ob´s from the same generations.

I got my legacy from germany were they rarely have seat heaters. At start it all looked very easy. The plugs in the seats and the switch goes into their connectors like they were meant to be there. Colour in wires is like they are in the manual. As in your car fuse was there and also relay.

But when i turn ignition and the switch on the switch illuminates but not the diods that indicates that the heaters are on and the heats dont do its job.

I am stuck there. Power comes to the switch but nothing happens when i turn it on. Im going to talk some car electrician to have a look at it soon.

If you find any solutions, please let me know. I will tell if and when i solve it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.