BlueConnect like it or not? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-25-2011, 11:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default BlueConnect like it or not?

I purchased a 2011 2.5i premium a few weeks ago. My state is currently considering a bill to ban cell phone use in cars except for hands free, so I'm thinking of adding BlueConnect. I searched the forum and found very little info on BlueConnect, lots about the HK intergrated system which is not the same. Does anyone have any feedback on BlueConnect? Thanks!
suelaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 11:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback Premium 2.5

I live in CA where we already have the hands free law and up til 5 weeks ago when I got my OB I was still constantly driving around holding my phone to my head with one eye in the rearview looking for the man. So when i got my OB I definitely wanted it and I think it works just fine. It may not be as seamless as one that's fully integrated, but if you just want a good hands free system it's great. It's nice how it fades out the radio as you place/receive a call and I have found the call quality perfectly acceptable.

I'm sure there will be plenty of people that will nit-pick it to death, but IMO it's a perfectly fine alternative if you just want to keep it pretty simple.
19mm RSB
SportWing BSM
Subaru HD Cargo Rack
Gentex/Sony Rear Camera System
Subaru Hood Deflector
Thule T2 MTB Rack
Trojans1993 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 02:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have the BlueConnect too and have a question. Have you been able to make an outgoing call from the phone (ie. look it up in the phone's contact list) and speak through the BlueConnect?

When I dial out using the phone and push the button on the phone to transfer the call to the BlueConnect, nothing happens (except the phone speaker goes silent).
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 03:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback Premium 2.5

That's how I almost always use it, I haven't really even tried the phonebook import yet. I just push the person I want to call on my phone and the BT takes over as soon as it starts dialing. Try going through the pairing procedure again, maybe you missed a step along the way.
19mm RSB
SportWing BSM
Subaru HD Cargo Rack
Gentex/Sony Rear Camera System
Subaru Hood Deflector
Thule T2 MTB Rack
Trojans1993 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 06:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5 Premium

I had the BlueConnect installed as part of the deal when I bought my 2011 Outback. Overall, I'm fairly happy with it. The call clarity is fairly good and as another poster asked, I can call using my phone as opposed to the voice prompts with no difficulty (I have an iPhone 4). The system is not quite as good as the one in our RAV4 (a little slower to respond after voice commands, occasionally misunderstands voice prompts). I would get it again if I had to do it all over.
cbnsoul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 11:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5i All-weather 6MT
Default Like it some issue but not many

I Got the blueConnect with my 2011 Outback and I do like it. They mont the mic on the steering column. The sound quality is good, much better than my dad's Camry.

Tt is a little annoying to program in contacts. I have an Iphone 4 and you can not import the address book with it. At the same time once you have it programed it stays in the memory (not sure if a power failure would do anything). I am going to try to set up my girlfriends Samsung Fascinate and see if that will import contacts any easer.

Every once in a wile the phone doesn't connect right or the phone button on the blueConnect does nothing I still have over two years on the warranty so I am not that worried.

The Only thing I don't like at all is there is no number keypad so i have to use the one on the phone to dial in ext. numbers for my girl friend and father if I call them at work.

As with all blueTooth devices sometimes when you answer you have to wait a beat for the connection to establish.
redalex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 06:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Compared to the Bluetooth in my Audi A5, the one in my 2011 Outback is light years behind. My Audi shows the callers name, number, and is intrigated into the sound system. That said, the Subaru unit works ok, and i guess beats holding the phone to my Ear. Just my 2cents worth.
2000 Toyota Land Cruiser
1949 Chevrolet Pickup
Binkmann10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

I have Bluetooth via HK and like the system just fine. I programmed two speed dials on the stereo presets and a few manually entered voice commands. The Subaru voice command system has a hard time distinguishing "John Doe home" vs "John Doe mobile", so I find it easier to use my Blackberry's voice commands instead. Nice thing about the Blackberry is that it doesn't require me to say any of the names and numbers for it to learn my voice.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback Limited 3.6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBink View Post
callers name, number, and is integrated into the sound system.
My OB does all that.
gdiener is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2011 OB Basic 2.5i CVT

Wife is using it to receive/make calls. She has not imported the contacts. Loves it so far even with just the basic functions.
shabuboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: