Subaru Outback Forums banner

CV Joint Boots?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  sooner4x4 
#1 ·
Has any Gen 4 owner on this forum had to replace one or more of these so far?

My old '85 GL wagon needed the driver's side front replaced every 80K or so due to heat from the catalytic converter placement on that model. I understand they added a heat shield on later models to rectfy that.

Just curious. I'm approaching 54K on my 2013, getting ready to do plugs and brakes preemptively, and just wondering about the track record of these CV joint boots.

#5 ·
If you drive anything like me, you'll only need rear brakes, if anything. I'm nearing 56K on my 2011 and had to have the rears done at 50K and the fronts were at 50% or so still. With that many miles on a 2 year-newer vehicle, I'd say you do mostly highway and probably won't need brakes for another 10-15K. I have been historically hard on brakes, having mine last 50K+ was a SHOCK.

#6 ·
A lot of braking going up and down steep grades and switchbacks on some rough roads out in west Texas national parks and wildlife areas.

A lot of highway miles getting there and back though.

When I get in there and compare the new (already bought) to the existing I'll make the determination whether to let them wait or not.

But I'd like to scuff up the rotors and clean/lube things up anyway.

Good to know though. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.