Hazy radio display? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2011 Outback Limited 2.5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hazy radio display?

This is a strange one...

A couple of days ago after leaving the car parked outside during one of the hotter days of the year (temp in the 80's), I noticed the clear or smoke colored plastic bezel covering the radio display appeared very hazy. The effect is especially noticeable when the sun hits it directly, however this did not happen until now. It seems only present if the interior of the car has heated up from sitting outside in the sun on hot days. On cold days, or just after pulling out from the garage in the morning, it does not appear.

It resembles the look you see from any clear or smoke colored plastic cover that has aged many years and has degraded due to enviornmental factors or from the exposure to UV-light.

In any case, today the temps are in the mid-upper 80's and sure enough, when I got in the car it appeared really hazy again. So, I'm not sure if it's just an effect of the sunlight hitting the display just right, or if there is really something going on. It doesn't appear like moisture built up behind the bezel.

Therefore, I thought I would ask if anyone has seen this or has suggestions to look at. Car is only 2.5 months old (2011 2.5 limited), not keen on having dealership rip the dash apart to get to it only to say "it's normal". I tried to take a photo of it, but of course it doesn't come out looking exactly like it does in person.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/lfs-ingallsb/Desktop/photo.JPG[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	581.9 KB
ID:	19579  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 04:09 PM

Car: '10 Outback 2.5i Limited
I have noticed this a couple of times on my 2010. It seems to go away and is somewhat temperature dependent. At first I thought it was condensation but that doesn't seem to be it.

'10 2.5i Limited w/Moonroof Silver Steel
previous Subaru
'05 2.5i Limited Obsidian Black
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
I have noticed this a couple of times on my 2010. It seems to go away and is somewhat temperature dependent. At first I thought it was condensation but that doesn't seem to be it.
Agreed, this does not appear to be condensation. The haze/opaque/cloudiness of the clear plastic cover does seem to be only present when the interior of the car is very hot, or the display is in direct sunlight.

The odd thing is that as it cools down, the opaque/cloudy appearance seems to go away. Very strange. My fear is that eventually the display will stay this way.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Here is a pic that shows the cloudy appearance just after getting in the car after sitting in the sun and in high temps. Note how difficult it is to even read the CD indicator on the upper right hand corner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Haze 3.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	480.1 KB
ID:	19581  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 09:01 PM

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5i Premium AWP, CVT, Pearl White, Rear Bumper Cover, Mud Guards, XM Radio, Build Date 10/10
Mine does the same thing. It only happens when the temps are around 80 and above and the car has been sitting in the sun with the windows up. It goes away in a couple of minutes when the interior gets cooled down. I hope it doesn't get worse with age. The things you find out after you buy a new car.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 01:30 PM

Car: 2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
Temp related… could be the plastics off-gassing.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 02:02 PM

My 2010 Outback Limited is this way most of the time (in SC winter and now summer). I need the dash light adjuster/controller set to the brightest setting to be able to read the radio and the center console displays (at least in the daytime - I'll need to test it for night time ).

I am going to ask my dealer about this issue next time I go for service. Maybe someone should ask SOA about this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Just had Outback in for first oil/filter change. Service manager has not seen that issue, but was going to follow up with SOA to see if there is anything documented there. Not keen on having the dash ripped apart to switch out entire console or just the plasic pieces (also the clear one covering the auto climate controls). But then again, not keen on looking forward to seeing this every day the interior is hot.

Oh, I also asked about Subie snyth. He said they are still just recommending regular dino oil for the 2.5i non-turbo Outbacks.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 12:14 PM

Car: 2011, OB 3.6r Ltd/Nav
Wouldn't bother having anything replaced unless SOA has changed the plastic in some way to address this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 12:30 PM

Anyone find a resolution to this? This has been happening to me when the interior temps are 100+ and the car is in direct sun. Thanks!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 01:49 PM

I don’t have this problem. I noticed from pic you have the CD changer version, I have the regular one on my OB 11. Is this happening on the regular one also? We had 90s and more for weeks now and the car seats in sun most of the day and I didn’t see this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: