No timing belts in 2011 models? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-27-2011, 11:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: right now I dont have a car just an old pickup truck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default No timing belts in 2011 models?

Is that true that all 2011 outbacks and foresters come with chain driven camshafts? Does the chain needs servicing/replacing like the old timing belts at about 100K miles?
oarfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2011, 11:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free

All chains eventually stretch, all gears eventually wear. When it happens, I have no idea and did not read the manual since I do not plan on owning a car that gets to that mileage.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

i dont think any of the outbacks have switched to the new motor, not even the 2012's

they all still have the belts

most chains have no replacement date, as the tensions take out what strech does develope
nikbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

the totally redesigned 2.5 engine is chain driven. I really don't understand this chain vs belt thing people have. Belts you replace at 105K - chains you go in and replace all the worn out bits and generally the chain given any failure at a high mileage point is a failure and will do the engine in chain or belt. No difference

The reason an automaker like Subaru will move to chain is they can make the engine even more compact in size vs using a belt which needs more space to be properly run. The reason an auto maker will use a belt it costs less to do - is less noisy and space is not a big issue.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

All 2.5 engines other than the 2011 Forester have a belt.
3.0 and 3.6 engines have a chain.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5i Prem

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarfish View Post
Is that true that all 2011 outbacks and foresters come with chain driven camshafts? Does the chain needs servicing/replacing like the old timing belts at about 100K miles?
outback 2.5i engines have timing belt. 6 cyl outback has chain.
lemob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesailor View Post
the totally redesigned 2.5 engine is chain driven. I really don't understand this chain vs belt thing people have. Belts you replace at 105K - chains you go in and replace all the worn out bits and generally the chain given any failure at a high mileage point is a failure and will do the engine in chain or belt. No difference

The reason an automaker like Subaru will move to chain is they can make the engine even more compact in size vs using a belt which needs more space to be properly run. The reason an auto maker will use a belt it costs less to do - is less noisy and space is not a big issue.
Honda has slowly moved their engines over to chains to make the high priced belt changes a thing of the past. At least that is my understanding. But it sounds like that chains are not quite the panacea they appear to be. So is there still a "recommended" time frame for the chain to be inspected and changed out?
Old 04-28-2011, 12:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc888 View Post
Honda has slowly moved their engines over to chains to make the high priced belt changes a thing of the past. At least that is my understanding. But it sounds like that chains are not quite the panacea they appear to be. So is there still a "recommended" time frame for the chain to be inspected and changed out?
If you look at how much they are cramming into a transverse mounted engine bay I can promise you the reason Honda is going to chain is for space.

As for when a chain driven engine should have the chain gear replaced? All depends on how well the timing chain and set up is designed. But the reality of it is the chain will in most cases far out last all the parts that hold it in place. If anyone of those parts fail after a decent number of miles it won't matter if the chain is unbroken or not the end result is generally the same.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl

As alluded to, the chain is but one part. Peruse the 04/05 Nissan Quest chain-guide discussions.
I’ve only had to replace a timing belt once (at 86K), because I replaced the water pump. And replaced the oil seals too at that time, good or bad – ie: go in once.
Belt/chain, it doesn’t matter. I was inspecting the old T-Belt and the mechanic said it could’ve easily gone another 30K, I sold the car at 94K.
GasGuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2003 LLBean H6 Outback

Other than the guide problems on the '01 and '02 H6 3.0 engines, has anyone ever had to replace a subaru chain or chain-driven water pump?

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: