3 carseats in an OB? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2010 OB 2.5i Limited, Azurite Blue
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
3 carseats in an OB?

My wife and I are expecting twins this fall and that will make 3 kids under 2 years old for us. Has anyone got 3 carseats across in the backseat of an Outback? Sure would love to know what carseats you used to make that happen. I will have 2 rear facing and one forward facing carseats.

Hoping to find a way to keep my OB once the twins get here.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 12:32 PM

Car: 2005 OBW
My cousin has 2 car seats facing forward in her Baja. I see no way to fit a third in there unless you can find some really narrow seats.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 01:00 PM

09 and older outback not possible hip room is far to narrow in the back seat. The 2010 + and newer outback if you can find semi narrow seats it may be possible. Or if your third is old enough to sit in a booster. A friend packs three in the back of his old explorer all the time two car seats 6yr olds and one 10yr old sitting in the middle no booster. But prior to that it was the standard car seats with the older kid center on a booster was tight but possible. Rear seat hip width in the old explorer is not as good as the new 2010 and newer ob the older 09's were a tad tighter than the explorer.

Run over to baby's r Us and have them haul a couple of show room seats out to the car and have them do some testing to see if you can fit three. Kinda doubt three full on car seats will fit even with a crowbar used to wedge them in.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 01:01 PM

Car: '03 OBW LTD Black/Black, '10 2.5i Premium Cypress Green
Send a message via AIM to dakboy
The 2010 is wider than a Baja, but there's no way you're going to fit 3 car seats for kids that age in the back.

'03 OWB LTD Black/Black 2.5 4EAT
Alpine CDA-9847/SIR-ALP1
-----------
'10 OB 2.5i Premium Cypress Green CVT
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 01:04 PM

Car: 2011 3.6
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 02:29 PM

A lady my wife works with just bought a 2010 Outback because it was the only car that would fit all 3 of their carseats in the back without having to go to a minivan.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 02:34 PM

Car: 2005 Outback XT
Here's a post from the VW TDI forum. Someone put 3 across the back of a Jetta SportWagen, although they are the reverse of what you need (they have 2 forward and 1 backwards).

3 across the back (car seats) - TDIClub Forums

It seems to be highly dependent on the brand of car seat, but somewhere in the thread they talk about which ones are narrower.

Congrats on the twins!

Kirk
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kduchow View Post
Here's a post from the VW TDI forum. Someone put 3 across the back of a Jetta SportWagen, although they are the reverse of what you need (they have 2 forward and 1 backwards).

3 across the back (car seats) - TDIClub Forums

It seems to be highly dependent on the brand of car seat, but somewhere in the thread they talk about which ones are narrower.

Congrats on the twins!

Kirk
Just as a side note the VW TDI sport wagon rear seat hip room is nearly identical to my old 2001 legacy GT which would be very tight to impossible with the new larger seats any of the 09 and earlier ob's have the same exact seat width as our old legacy. The new OB which we have again is a bit wider and you would need to try a few seats to see if you can fit them. I'd guess the Britax seats are too wide for three across - we have two and I've put them in the new OB and nearly positive that a third would not fit with that type of seat. Our landcruiser is a little wider than the 2010 ob and I'm pretty sure with some wedging and wrestling I could fit three britax seats but that truck almost needs a Wide Load banner across the bumper.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 03:57 PM

Car: 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i
Just like how you put the "F" in way......
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah8799 View Post
My cousin has 2 car seats facing forward in her Baja. I see no way to fit a third in there unless you can find some really narrow seats.
The Baja is actually only set up for two belts in the back seat anyway. Due to the loss in structural stability with the rear lid chopped off, the Baja has a lower load capacity and the back seat was only set up for two passengers they don't have three belts or for that matter a full seat cover across the back bench.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: