Subaru Outback Forums banner

2010 Subaru Outback Lumbar support fix

39K views 43 replies 29 participants last post by  Jsubioutback 
#1 ·
I am not the best at taking video but I tried to document the way that I fixed the lumbar. Basically it was a crappy little s-hook that broke and I replaced it with a much thicker link from a chandelier chain. I am sure Subaru would sell you a replacement hook.
part 1
part 2
part 3

#5 ·
Thanks for taking the lumps for the team.
They also have these type hooks/fasteners at the bigbox, SS if preferred.

Warranty…<O:p</O:p
Albert Einstein: Insanity, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.<O:p</O:p
Regardless, the dealer will/should replace it with the same garbage-in garbage-out.

#6 ·
I think mine was genuinely defective rather than just cheap crap. It happened about 6 months/ 8000 miles into the car, and didn't happen again over the next 2 1/2 years and 40,000 miles.

But yeah, if you're out of bumper to bumper... Just S-hook with steel and move on.

#10 ·
Thank you!

The seat lumbar of my Outback 2010 just broke at 40,000. It is not covered under extended warranty and the dealership just said the whole seat frame has to be replaced at $600 with labor.

My response "What? that is crazy!. No don't replace it".

Thanks to Google/youtube, found the videos and will see if it a simple clip...

Thanks again,

#11 ·
The seat lumbar of my Outback 2010 just broke at 40,000. It is not covered under extended warranty and the dealership just said the whole seat frame has to be replaced at $600 with labor.

My response "What? that is crazy!. No don't replace it".

Thanks to Google/youtube, found the videos and will see if it a simple clip...

Thanks again,
Just my 2 cents

If you have an extended waranty from Subaru (not a 3rd party) I find it hard to believe this isn't covered.

IMO it would be a good idea to call Subaru anyway. Before trying to fix it myself, that would void any warranty.

#12 ·
I wouldn't bother with the dealer if they are going to use the same weak hooks. I went to Home Depot and spent maybe 5 bucks on some better material when mine failed. The hook actually broke, so unless they have a better one, just DIY. Took about 10 minutes, and my dealer is about 30 minutes away, so...

Also, might as well replace both of them. I only replaced the broken one, and sure enough the other one popped a few months later. You may have to bend the "S" to make it more secure, depending on what you end up buying.

#13 ·
The right side s-hook on mine broke yesterday. Warranty for me is for major problems that need many many hours, expensive replacement parts, and/or specialty tools to fix. I'm not going to waste my time going to the dealer for a 10 minute job and a $0.50 s-hook if I can do it myself, and make it better while I'm at it.

So here's a 5/8th of an inch compression spring @ $2.50, cut to size with ends bent into hooks: tension hook (couldn't find any small enough at the hardware store, so I made my own). It's tough as heck and has room to stretch and spring back before it ever breaks... in other words, it will never break. This is how they should have done from the start.

Sorry about the bad cellphone pics, but good enough for you to get an idea.

Attachments

#17 ·
RE: Broken Lumbar support clip/cable

Thanks for the Post Darksire. Your video gave the the desire to take my seat apart to investigate my non-working lumbar support. Indeed two of the clips on the right side have snapped and the cable is frayed at the connection to the eye. I don't know what the cost will be or how extensive the job will be to put a new cable in. I'll keep this forum updated when I get around to finding out more. Unfortunately my warranty is expired as well. 3 years and 36K passes by all too quickly.
Thanks,
Aaron

Attachments

#18 ·
Hi all,

I've noticed an issue with my lumbar support as well (2010 Outback 2.5i Premier) - but before I rip my seats apart, I was hoping someone else having a problem could let me know if it seems like the same problem.

When I hit the button, the left side (only) seems to adjust. Both the side support and part of the left side lumbar area move outwards. Kind of annoying, of course, unless I want to be sitting leaning slightly towards the right.

With the lumbar support "off", the seat is "flat" (ie: no one side pushed forward more than the other).

Do any of you suspect it is caused by a similar issue, or is this potentially another issue?

Thanks,
Rob

#19 ·
Robert.mauro,
That's exactly what mine was doing. I took it apart and found the clips to be broken and the cable frayed. The reason that you feel the Left side pulling is that the cable attaches to the right side of the frame as a terminal end. The Terminal end of the cable is now free and the other attachment is on the left side. When the cable is reeled in, it is still able to pull on the left side slightly allowing the lumbar support to move forward. It's difficult to explain, but I guarantee that you have the same problem.

I went to my local service dept. and ordered the part kit yesterday. <25$, and supposedly the clips are now stronger. They can look it up under the TSB, The part Name is " Flat Mat Hook Set", Part Number 64133AJ04A, or Labor operation A913-486. The replacement is technically easy and only requires a screwdriver and maybe pliers.
Good luck,
AAron

#20 ·
Hi Aaron,

Much thanks for the response and the details that accompany it! Much appreciated. Might take it in to have it done, as my time availability to do work on my car has been rather short lately (so much so, that I've yet to install the side cargo nets or back seat seat-back protectors I got on the 19th and 20th of last month). :(

Thanks again,
Rob

#22 ·
No, haven't noticed that. For most of the last 2,000 miles, I've been driving with the lumbar engaged (ie: half of it engaged). For the last few hundred miles, I've had it entirely "off". I haven't noticed anything in either event.

From the looks of the mechanism in the video at the top of the thread, I'd hazard a guess it is possible though.

Sorry,
Rob

#26 ·
Heavy duty definitely being the key - I tried a cheap one, and it stretched it flat, then pulled it apart. :| :frown2: :crying:

#32 ·
Worst design for lumbar support ever...

I've snapped the original connector and two separate S-Biner Clips... Ugh...

No, I am not overweight and I do take care not to put pressure on my left side, although two times it snapped leaning to get my wallet out of my right rear pocket.

Wait, maybe I am overweight...!?

#33 ·
#34 ·
I still don't understand how the system works. What gets pulled? Because when you action the system, it seems there is nothing visibly moving aside from the support itself obviously. My cable is fine and so are the hooks at the end. I just cut myself pretty badly trying to figure it out again. Hehe. This sucks.