Headlight protection film - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-03-2012, 11:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car: '13 OB, Black, SAP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Well I tried my skill at installing this film on my headlights this evening...wow was it difficult. I have had a bit of experience with this stuff in the past but the OB has thes curves and bulges in the headlights that made my evening miserable.

It was well worth it though, had this stuff on my Altima for five years, and at the end, they still looked as clear as the first day I installed them, great stuff. Bought somthing similiar that was cheaper for the wifes Forester, and it started to crack after a month. So you do get what you pay for.
JCBERB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

i used xpel on mine too. very tough install but looks good. .DO NOT attempt to do install without a heat gun. would be a disaster

ke,ep things nice n wet

i didnt use the side marker pieces.
N8thesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback, E93 and E36 BMWs

I didn't see the need to do my headlights on mine but have it on my BMWs which have glass headlights. It helps as I have taken a truck tire recap in the front and it broke the fog light and smugged the headlight and broke the front lower cowling out.

One place I do use a small roll or Xpel is on the outter door edges. I run a 3/8" bead along anyplace where the door would make contact with another door or wall. If you do this in the sun at 70 degrees or more it is very easy to work around angles.
I hate door chips and would hate to open my door into someone or have a passenger do that and damage someone else's car.
This stuff is invisible (I have Twilight Blue and lighter color might show a little) when applied.
They do make a good product...
fun2drive is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #14 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
I didn't see the need to do my headlights on mine but have it on my BMWs which have glass headlights. It helps as I have taken a truck tire recap in the front and it broke the fog light and smugged the headlight and broke the front lower cowling out.

One place I do use a small roll or Xpel is on the outter door edges. I run a 3/8" bead along anyplace where the door would make contact with another door or wall. If you do this in the sun at 70 degrees or more it is very easy to work around angles.
I hate door chips and would hate to open my door into someone or have a passenger do that and damage someone else's car.
This stuff is invisible (I have Twilight Blue and lighter color might show a little) when applied.
They do make a good product...
My 2013 had this plastic stuff on door endges OEM installed - yours did not? I installed the hood clear film protector last weekend; it came with the headlights pre-cut film as well but I've decided not to install it due to same reasons, as some of the earlier posters mentioned!
jogosub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lord of ScoobyMods

Car: 01' OB Wagon / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5

I've installed it on my 2010 Legacy. I've done a few before and this was by far the most difficult and PITA to do. Fog lamps were a breeze of course.

Peaty

www.ScoobyMods.com
Peaty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #16 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I did my Mazda p5 about 12 years ago. When we sold the car, the xpel was still in perfect condition and both of my headlamps were like new. So, the first thing I did on our new car was order the xpel.......wow, it should be rated as an expert project!

Having done it before, I at least knew to be patient. I accomplished a clean install with only a hair dryer, but it was really, really, really difficult. Next time, I will buy a heat gun.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #17 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsnow View Post
I did my Mazda p5 about 12 years ago. When we sold the car, the xpel was still in perfect condition and both of my headlamps were like new. So, the first thing I did on our new car was order the xpel.......wow, it should be rated as an expert project!

Having done it before, I at least knew to be patient. I accomplished a clean install with only a hair dryer, but it was really, really, really difficult. Next time, I will buy a heat gun.
or, if not a heat lamp, one of those hair dryers as seen on Spaceballs movie that princess Vespa was carrying in the desert...LOL
jogosub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #18 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback, E93 and E36 BMWs

My Outback didn't come with any door guard protection and I have never seen any on the dealer lots that did. Must be something special your dealer did.
fun2drive is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #19 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Subaru Outback limited 3.6R

I just got a Harbor Freight ad in the mail. They have the $17 heat gun I purchased 3 months ago for $9! Not a bad deal and it worked just fine when applying my 3m headlight protection. I didn't buy the kit, just a sheet of film- and yes it was a hard task. I ended up just doing a sheet cut across the front face instead of wrapping it around to the side of the headlight but followed a line of the silver housing inside so it's barely noticeable.
I actually did the whole 3M bikini cut paint protection film (bottom fender, hood, rear view mirrors, front side panels) Also did the yellow laminx for my fogs. was a pretty difficult task in my opinion for the first time out, but it was worth a shot. In the future if I had to do again, I would just do smaller pieces like the headlights, side panels, mirrors and save the more intricate pieces to a professional.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App
Old 11-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #20 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Pearl White Limited /SAP/Moonroof+ many other goodies
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

^^^^Where did you find yellow Laminex? I can find clear everywhere but no yellow. thx
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: