Headlight protection film - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-15-2011, 06:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Headlight protection film

Anyone tried the XPEL product:

XPEL Head Light Protection
mxfrank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxfrank View Post

No, but I do need to explore some product for my '04 OBW.

I had this stuff (3M) on my previous car:

Installing 3M Headlight Protection | Evolved Performance - Tuning and Racing a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX RS

And after about 9 years it was hazy and brown, so I pryed them off the HL glass but there was a lot of sticky residue left on the glass. Took me 2 hrs with some acetone to rid the gunk.
2009 Honda Odyssey EX-L, 40K kms
2006 Legacy spec. ed. wagon (sold)
1993 SAAB 9000 CSET (sold)
SaabKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2011 OB 3.6R Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxfrank View Post

Purchased and sitting in garage but not installed yet.

Will be my first install of XPEL. Hopefully the curves won't make it too difficult. I've gotten pretty good at applying Zagg screen protectors to flat surfaces so hopefully some of that experience translates over.
txmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback

I applied some Lamin-X film on my headlights when I bought my Outback in March and these headlights are by far the hardest I've worked on.

I installed headlight film on my WRX, Legacy wagon and STI and those were all very simple shapes and curves compared to the new Outback.
Edvig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Cypress Green 2.5 ltd

Also did the Lamin-X, along with some yellow fog light film. I have to agree with Edvig, the shape of the headlights is hard to work with. Been on for a year now and still look pretty good.
Green LTD is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 09:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2011 3.6R Limited

I have the XPEL film on our 2011 OB and I had quite a bit of trouble getting it installed. I would suggest checking the following installation video they have on the web site before you give it a try Installation_Videos

They list the Subaru OB as a 4 out of 5 difficulty and I would say that is about right. I have installed this product on other cars and the OB was by far the most difficult.
tjlehm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 3rd Subaru. 2011 Ouback Limited with NAV

I've mentioned this else where...the ausies have a custom made headlight cover and ...of course...it's not available here in NA. I am sure that if you called someone down under you could get them.
The human soul, in some ways like good helium, expands to whatever environment it has. Or conversely sinks to whatever ditch it is offered. That's where the real battles are waged-and waged continually. David Adams Richards

ZeeMaps - Subaru Outback.Org Owner Location: Show us where you are.

scoobydoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 10:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2011 OB 3.6R Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlehm View Post
I have the XPEL film on our 2011 OB and I had quite a bit of trouble getting it installed. I would suggest checking the following installation video they have on the web site before you give it a try Installation_Videos

They list the Subaru OB as a 4 out of 5 difficulty and I would say that is about right. I have installed this product on other cars and the OB was by far the most difficult.
Did you do the install wet or dry? Their FAQ mentions that using the wet method usually gives the best shot at having a clean install.

All the videos and stuff show using a heat gun. If I'd just get out and do it one afternoon when it's 105 like it was today, the film would probably be pretty workable without extra heat.
txmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2011, 09:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2011 2.5 Premium AWP

I've used Xpel on several vehicles. It's quality protection, but as headlights have gotten curvier (and bigger), it's gotten harder to install. It will probably be a multi-piece installation, but still......

1) Make sure you have a hand-held hair-dryer, or heat gun
2) Make sure your hands are very clean, or wear latex gloves....fingerprints made on the application side are impossible to get off
3) Have a pair of cuticle scissors handy, and try to plan the fit so that the pieces appear seamless, and excess is trimmed where it will show the least
4) Use the squeegee they send--it helps, although you'll never get rid of ALL air bubbles.....although if you install on a warm sunny day, and/or leave it in the sun after install, it will minimize air bubbles
5) Go slowly.....depending upon # of pieces, it could take an hour (or more) per headlight
6) The protection is very much worth the trouble, and from a distance, it's not noticeable. Even up close, unless someone knows what to look for, it's hard to detect.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 12:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have used X-Pel paint protection and headlight protection films since 2000. Excellent products. I did the install myself on a 2000 Toyota Avalon, 2003 VW Passat and had the films installed on a 2005 Honda and 2009 Honda. In all cases, the protection film did an excellent job protecting the headlights from scrarring and rock chips as well as prevent clouding or yellowing of the headlight lenses.
jsgntulok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: