Subaru Outback Forums banner

2013 CVT fill plug?

42K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  PRGMC 
#1 ·
Hey fellas, I have tried searching the forum for 2013 cvt fill plug. I did see a great DIY for the 2012 cvt.

Where is the fill plug for the 2013 cvt?

Thank you! :)

#2 ·
It is on the driver's side of the CVT, up maybe 6" from the bottom of the CVT. I am not around my Outback this week so I can't get you a picture. I am sure someone will post a picture for you. The plug was very difficult to open the first time. I needed a breaker bar with extra force applied.

#5 ·
So if the fill plug location is different between the 2012 and 2013, was the CVT modified/improved? Haven't seen a thread on this. Just curious.
The fill plug is essentially in the same spot, but yes, the CVT transmission is different - 2013 introduced a slightly new CVT model.

I forget if this introduced the fixed torque converter that doesn't cause the stalling issues we sometimes see on gen 4.0. And I think it also introduces the artificial "shift points" on the CVT that makes it feel more like a standard automatic? I also think they started factory fill with the new green CVT fluid available in 1 quart bottles whereas the factory fill on gen 4.0 was the blue CVT fluid.

#13 ·
Thats the front diff fill[/QUOT

Incorrect. Bad information! Please ignore this. :28:

The front diff fill is on the passenger side, located just above and aft (rearward) of the inner cv joint of the passenger side half axle.

On the 2013 models, both the cvt and front diff fill plugs are on the passenger side just to make things interesting.

The cvt pan looks like the pic, you can easily locate the drain bolt. Go to the passenger side and up the cvt about 6-8 inches and there is a fill plug there.
Partially incorrect. Yes, the front diff fill is on the passenger side. No, the CVT fill is NOT on the the passenger side. :28:

Here is a picture to go with the drawing. Plug is along the edge of the black insulation.
Budha has given you correct information. :29:

The sketch he posted is right out of the CVT section of the Service Manual. There is no fewer than four occurrences of this same view in the CVT section of the Service manual. Under each view is the description "Filler plug" or "Filler plug hole". is easy to identify because of the adjacent features of the sensor connector, and being located right in the radius of the insulation. Just like correctly shown in both the sketch and the photo Budha provided.

#11 ·
Hey fellas, I have tried searching the forum for 2013 cvt fill plug. I did see a great DIY for the 2012 cvt.

Where is the fill plug for the 2013 cvt?

Thank you!
On the 2013 models, both the cvt and front diff fill plugs are on the passenger side just to make things interesting.

The cvt pan looks like the pic, you can easily locate the drain bolt. Go to the passenger side and up the cvt about 6-8 inches and there is a fill plug there.

#15 ·
Passenger and driver sides can be quite confusing depending on which market the car was destined. To avoid this confusion, vehicle manufacturers and the auto industry use the terms left and right as viewed from the operators seated position.

Having said that, the pic below shows the fill location (with plug removed) on the left side of the trans. Car is a 2014 Impreza.

Attachments

#19 ·
So, your 2012 does not have any incremental "drops" in RPM as you accelerate - as in what you would feel in a typical AT, as it shifts into higher gears?

#22 ·
I have 183,000 miles on my 2011 Limited, and the CVT acts very much like a typical AT. It drops into a lower speed (similar to the 6-speed manual shift points achieved by using the paddles) when going up a hill or passing someone. When I let off the throttle after reaching the peak of the hill, or when I have passed the other vehicle, it definitely feels as though it drops into a higher "gear".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.