2.5i Muffler Delete - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #21 (permalink)

Car: 2014 2.5i Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

IMO, the only Subaru 2.5l that sounds halfway decent is out of a turbo car...All else sounds too ricey to me.
2003 TiSport Gman, sweet Titanium XC ride.
2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer Cruiser
2012 Niner Air 9
mopartodd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #22 (permalink)

Car: '11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

why does it take me to page 2 whenever i click on page 3?

i have a few parts that aren't supposed to be there...

tired of a sore elbow from the hard plastic armrest? get a cover here http://www.redlinegoods.com/cgi-bin/...r&id=1&aid=774
bradze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 01:18 AM   #23 (permalink)
JMF

Car: 2012 Outback 3.6R Limited

bradze,
Glad to see someone revive this old thread. I had the muffler delete steel pipe that came straight out the back, as in the first post pictures, on the car when we took a 3000 mile trip Thanksgiving of 2011 from Las Vegas to Austin, Tx. We took I-10 there and I-40 on the way back. The 2.5 was not too noisy for just us two in the front seats. The CVT kept the 2.5 RPM in the best power range when we were going up grades. The ride was comfortable but it was a 2.5i base model and we missed some of the features we had on previous cars such as Nav and power seats and I did wish I had more HP. I don't think I kept track of the mileage but I wish I had. After that trip, I fabricated another straight pipe out of stainless but turned the exhaust exit down for a better look. I couldn't find pictures of this set up but it looked a lot better and the exhaust note was about the same. This past spring we took another couple to a local mountain. They rode in the back seat and as we came down the mountain, the exhaust noise level from the engine braking while coming down grade was a little uncomfortable for them in the back. In June, my wife and I took a 1000 mile trip in the 2.5i to Big Sur and again, no problem with the noise level in the front seats. I averaged 32 mpg by the trip computer. Because of the exhaust note being a little much at times when someone was riding in the back seats, after the Big Sur trip I fabricated the stainless set up in the pictures below with a Borla muffler. I think this set up was perfect for the 2.5. It sounded really good but I couldn't help thinking that I wished I had more HP. I had added the tweeter kit, rear bumper guard, and RSB to the 2.5i and was thinking about spending some more money replacing the 16" steel wheels and tires with 17 or 18" and maybe adding a Takeda air intake. Before doing that I decided to test drive a 2012 3.6R Limited. I was sold. I got the Guaranteed Trade In for my 2011 2.5i PZEV and bought a dark grey 3.6R Limited in the picture below in August. Before trading the 2.5i in, I took off the Borla and RSB and put the stock parts back on. With about 1500 miles on the 3.6R, we took a trip over the mountains on I-15 to Southern California and I averaged 30 mpg on the trip computer. For us, (me), having almost 90 more HP and 80 more ft/lbs of torque was worth the 2 MPG difference. And, we got all the bells and whistles with the Limited we wished we had on previous trips that the 2.5i didn't have. Now I need to figure out how to convince my wife that I need to put 2 Borla mufflers on her new car.
Attached Thumbnails
2.5i Muffler Delete-img_0122.jpg   2.5i Muffler Delete-img_0125mod.jpg   2.5i Muffler Delete-img_0126.jpg   2.5i Muffler Delete-img_0142.jpg  
Mods: Muffler Delete, Tweeter Kit, Tint, Rear Bumper Guard, K&N Air Filter
JMF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 01:40 AM   #24 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.

Bradze is the last person who needs to read that story! He says he's ok with the 2.5 but deep down he still wants the 3.6!
foxrider68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 01:41 AM   #25 (permalink)

Car: '05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
Thumbs up

Great job!
You did an excellent job welding, I would leave your new pipe on there instead of paying more $$$ for basically the same thing, only bent.
Saint J VT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #26 (permalink)

i do want the 3.6, but i just dont have the money right now. i might end up trading in my car on the next outback, i do have car A.D.D. just like my friend. the sensible side of me told me to get the 4 cylinder to have spare money for other things. i should've just gotten a 3.6 limited when i bought it. but right now with the mileage im putting on and having a tight budget, the 4 cylinder is perfect. im hoping the 2.0 DIT engine is available on the next outback, if it is and as soon as i find out it is, ill place an order!

tired of a sore elbow from the hard plastic armrest? get a cover here http://www.redlinegoods.com/cgi-bin/...r&id=1&aid=774
Old 11-05-2012, 07:08 AM   #27 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback Premium 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradze View Post
i do want the 3.6, but i just dont have the money right now. i might end up trading in my car on the next outback, i do have car A.D.D. just like my friend. the sensible side of me told me to get the 4 cylinder to have spare money for other things. i should've just gotten a 3.6 limited when i bought it. but right now with the mileage im putting on and having a tight budget, the 4 cylinder is perfect. im hoping the 2.0 DIT engine is available on the next outback, if it is and as soon as i find out it is, ill place an order!
Have you read your sig line? LOL!
RobMunach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #28 (permalink)

Car: 2003 BMW M3 and 2011 Outback 2.5i Premium

JMF, looks great!!! I would love to hear a sound clip w/ the borla at WOT. Does it give some deepness w/o excessive loudness?
billybobbovine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #29 (permalink)

Car: 2003 BMW M3 and 2011 Outback 2.5i Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradze View Post
Only reason I would change from this car is if 1) A diesel came out or 2) they brought back the turbo 4. I would have a SERIOUSLY hard time resisting the turbo 4 w/ a 6 speed. That being said, my resale value is crap after being hit in this car twice.
billybobbovine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #30 (permalink)

thank you rob munach, i hope to be as awesome as you one day and be 100% perfect.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: