2.5i Muffler Delete - Page 5 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #41 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

These kids belong to our club - some of them have now crewed on boats and sailed more than halfway around the world simply by sticking their thumbs out for a ride.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #42 (permalink)

Car: '11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

i started autoxing a wrx, went nuts with parts. later when i found out about my condition, i panicked thinking id never be able to use a clutch again, so i got an evo and lapped every other weekend. i eventually made several connections, mostly from needing tires and brake parts, now im looking into pro3 bmw racing but thats on the back burner for a while. the funny thing is i'm making the same mistake with the outback that i did with the evo. i use it too hard for everyday use. at least the outback is a glutton for punishment like myself.

i have a few parts that aren't supposed to be there...

tired of a sore elbow from the hard plastic armrest? get a cover here http://www.redlinegoods.com/cgi-bin/...r&id=1&aid=774
bradze is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #43 (permalink)

Car: 2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free

OP, you may want to try Vibrant Resonators. They will still allow good sound but will take out the drone that makes it uncomfortable. Try ebay or amazon for good prices.
HERS: 2011 OUTBACK LIMITED 2.5 (Traded)
2012 OUTBACK LIMITED 2.5
dboz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #44 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV

I am glad I found this thread. I am looking (without screwing up and voiding the warranty) to upgrade my exhaust to get that trademark subaru gurgle....Not anything crazy like the WRX. I am hesitant to do the muffler delete cuase NJ emissions are somethign else here, but has anybody been able to change mufflers to get that sound? What can a person do to get the subaru gurgle? I have a 2.5i Premium 6spd
porschpow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #45 (permalink)

Car: 2003 BMW M3 and 2011 Outback 2.5i Premium

Only true way to get the turbo burb is to change headers. There is currently one set on the market that bolt up w/o any other mods. Rallisport racing makes them. There is a long lead on them, but they look like a high quality piece. You would also have to change out a muffler or 2 downstream of the headers to get it a bit louder.
billybobbovine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #46 (permalink)

So in order to have that sound I need to order the headers and change the muffler? what do you mean by 2 downstream??

Also, will you void any warranty? Will you get better performance? Would you have to change anythign on your Computer?
Old 11-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #47 (permalink)

Car: 2003 BMW M3 and 2011 Outback 2.5i Premium

at least my car, which is aPZEV too, has the back can and then at least 1 mid-pipe resonator/muffler. Removing the back can really doesn't open up much volume surprisingly (its easy to do if you want to hear, its 2 bolts, dont need to lift the car or anything, 10 min max on and off).

As for voiding warranty, dealers cant void a warranty outright, but they can deny service if they feel that your modification caused the issue. the new headers do replace the cat as it is integral with the headers, so if you had an emissions system fault, then yeah they probs wont pay for it. If you change it out and your shocks blow early, well they arent even related so that doesnt affect it. Each part has its own warranty and different systems do not affect one another.

Better performance is unlikely. Subaru went to an EL design because it is supposedly more efficient. That being said, the guy who makes the UEL also makes no claims of improved performance, but he also claims that there is no decrease and that seems to be the consensus on other forums.

As for computer changes, you cant make any on our ECU anyways as 1) no one makes a tune and 2) I am pretty sure it is a locked ECU. Some people are getting CEL's with these due to the higher flow cats and the O2 sensors not liking it. Seems to happen in colder weather, and seems to be mitigated somewhat by taking the ceramic coatings he has.

Google rallisport racing UEL headers. There is a large thread on the impreza forum that talks about them.
billybobbovine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobbovine View Post
at least my car, which is aPZEV too, has the back can and then at least 1 mid-pipe resonator/muffler. Removing the back can really doesn't open up much volume surprisingly (its easy to do if you want to hear, its 2 bolts, dont need to lift the car or anything, 10 min max on and off).
That would be something worth doing, but people probably have said hear it sounds more like a ricer.

Quote:
As for voiding warranty, dealers cant void a warranty outright, but they can deny service if they feel that your modification caused the issue. the new headers do replace the cat as it is integral with the headers, so if you had an emissions system fault, then yeah they probs wont pay for it. If you change it out and your shocks blow early, well they arent even related so that doesnt affect it. Each part has its own warranty and different systems do not affect one another.
I would have to call someone (don't know who) to see if I cna pass emissions. I understand about the shock thing but this changin of headers I take it is frowned upon from the dealers?

Quote:
Better performance is unlikely. Subaru went to an EL design because it is supposedly more efficient. That being said, the guy who makes the UEL also makes no claims of improved performance, but he also claims that there is no decrease and that seems to be the consensus on other forums.
Efficient being more gas efficient? So what other benefits are there other than getting the WRX/STI sound out of these headers

Quote:
As for computer changes, you cant make any on our ECU anyways as 1) no one makes a tune and 2) I am pretty sure it is a locked ECU. Some people are getting CEL's with these due to the higher flow cats and the O2 sensors not liking it. Seems to happen in colder weather, and seems to be mitigated somewhat by taking the ceramic coatings he has.
What are CEL's?
So the fix to the computer issues (or the O2 sensors faulting is to get ceramic coated catalyytic converters?
So, the computer will know that you basically put on the new headers, eh? The car would rat you out to the dealer?

Quote:
Google rallisport racing UEL headers. There is a large thread on the impreza forum that talks about them.
So this is what your talking about?
Home Page
Actually looks like something I can do myself, eh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: