Automatic rain sensing windshield wipers - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Automatic rain sensing windshield wipers

Anyone ever notice that the index in the back of the OB's owner's manual has a listing for:

Automatic rain sensing windshield wipers ...................... 3-32

but there is no information on page 3-32 about this feature. . . maybe a future option(?).
lloyd123 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Not surprising.

In reference to the discussion about tires (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...tml#post352163),

I just found this on page 3-20 of the 2011 Owners Manual:

The All-Wheel Drive warning light illuminates when the ignition switch is turned to the “ON” position and turns off after the engine has started.

For AT models
This light flashes if the vehicle is driven with tires of different diameters fitted on its wheels or with the air pressure excessively low in any of its tires.

For CVT models
This light illuminates when All-Wheel Drive is disengaged and the drive mechanism is switched to Front Wheel Drive for maintenance or similar purposes.
This light flashes if the vehicle is driven with tires of different diameters fitted on its wheels or with the air pressure excessively low in any of its tires.
(underlines added)

Yet, the OP's car in the linked thread was driven with the compact spare for long distances without any warning light coming on. The statement about the AWD light flashing if an odd size or low pressure tire is being used has now been repeated in the Owners Manual from at least 2005 on, yet no one has ever reported the light coming on in either case.

There was a thread here in 2009 about using the AWD disabling fuse where, finally, a representative from SOA confirmed that the fuse wasn't applicable if the car has VDC. But is this really the case given that even in 2011, there's still the indication that if a tire has a different circumference the AWD light should flash, even if the fuse is no longer available! (See especially the SOA response in this post: (AWD/FWD required on 08 OBW's w/2.5L NA 4EATs?)

Probably all related to translation and selling cars in different markets. But still, as you noted, "Nothing like clear consistent communication". (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...tml#post352333)

Rain sensing wipers? Perhaps when they finally get the AWD to flash!
plain OM is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: '11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

its a japaneese car, more than likely that feature is not available on cars sold in north america, but that doesn't really make sense because of how much we love accessories/luxury features. honda brought us acura, toyota-lexus, nissan-infiniti, maybe subaru is planning luxaru
bradze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Based on my experience with other cars having rain sensing wipers, I'd just as soon have the variable intermittent wipers as found on my OB.
gordonwd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 07:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonwd View Post
Based on my experience with other cars having rain sensing wipers, I'd just as soon have the variable intermittent wipers as found on my OB.
I would agree but I was just amused that Subaru had a index entry for a non-existing option. If they're going to list things thay don't have how about a 1.21 gigawatt flux capacitor?

Edit - non-existing in the US that is.
lloyd123 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 3.6R Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonwd View Post
ditto
Old 08-19-2011, 06:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: Silver 2010 Outback 3.6R Premium

My Australian 3.6 Premium has the auto wipers. They're not too bad, however they don't always "read" the rain drops perfectly requiring the occasional manual assistance. They seem to be most ineffective at dusk. Something about the light level seems to confuse them and they don't wipe often enough. That said, under normal conditions they work quite well.
doug5k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2013, 12:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: Red MY13 Outback 3.6R

Interesting that you say that doug5k, I just bought a 2012 3.6R with auto wipers and find that they are too frequent even on the '-' setting and worse (although not a great deal different) on the '+' setting. Do you use RainX or similar ? I usually do but haven't got as far as putting it on yet and not sure how it will affect the sensor.
Braddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2013, 05:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7

Interesting...
My Chrysler 300C had rain sensing wipers and it's one of the features I miss most of all --aside from that brilliant (and thirsty) v8.
And, come he|| or high water, I'm going to make the interior illumination kit work with eyesight.
Latigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain OM View Post
Not surprising.

In reference to the discussion about tires (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...tml#post352163),

I just found this on page 3-20 of the 2011 Owners Manual:

The All-Wheel Drive warning light illuminates when the ignition switch is turned to the “ON” position and turns off after the engine has started.

For AT models

For CVT models
This light illuminates when All-Wheel Drive is disengaged and the drive mechanism is switched to Front Wheel Drive for maintenance or similar purposes.
(underlines added)

Yet, the OP's car in the linked thread was driven with the compact spare for long distances without any warning light coming on. The statement about the AWD light flashing if an odd size or low pressure tire is being used has now been repeated in the Owners Manual from at least 2005 on, yet no one has ever reported the light coming on in either case.

There was a thread here in 2009 about using the AWD disabling fuse where, finally, a representative from SOA confirmed that the fuse wasn't applicable if the car has VDC. But is this really the case given that even in 2011, there's still the indication that if a tire has a different circumference the AWD light should flash, even if the fuse is no longer available! (See especially the SOA response in this post: (AWD/FWD required on 08 OBW's w/2.5L NA 4EATs?)

Probably all related to translation and selling cars in different markets. But still, as you noted, "Nothing like clear consistent communication". (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...tml#post352333)

Rain sensing wipers? Perhaps when they finally get the AWD to flash!
I believe my 2008 has this in the manual as well. I drove home on a donut once and never got the light to come on. The only time I ever see it is for a few seconds on startup.

Current Vehicle:
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed TRD Sport 4x4
jp1203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: