Subaru Outback Forums banner

Push Button Start Cranks but does not start - intermittent

12K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Zienky 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 Subaru Outback 3.6 Limited (automatic trans) with 45K miles (single owner, garage kept) which has been exhibiting an intermittent, push-button start problem now for 6 months, off and on - and seems to be becoming more frequent in the past month (about every 4 or 5 starts). The battery in the car is good/new/tested OK, both key fobs have new batteries and both can start the car and both key fobs have the same problem, the blue tooth on my phone has been turned off and the problem still occurs. Fuses are all tight and good. Those are the things I have ruled out. Again, this does not happen every time, only intermittently. When it does happen you may get a start on the second attempt, or it may take three or four attempts for the car to turn over and stay running. I have had it happen where it cranks momentarily and then the engine stops with my finger still depressing the start button, and then (more usually) it happens after you have a start (engine turns over and is running very briefly) and my finger releases the button, then the engine stops. I have read that any of the following can cause the issue I am having: "Check for fuel problems (bad fuel pump, fuel pump relay, plugged fuel filter, no gas in tank), ignition problems (like a bad crank sensor or ignition control module), or a mechanical problem (broken timing belt or broken teeth on flywheel)." Is there anyway to narrow down which of the above it could be by noting any other symptoms that might also be present? Last night when it occurred, I noticed the dome lights seemed dimmer than normal after my first failed start attempt. It took two more attempts for the engine to turn over and stay running when I released the push button. I thought, okay its the new battery, and tested the battery this morning (12.78 volts with 640 CCA). The alternator is doing its job as well (tested). Any ideas? Subaru claims they have never heard of this issue with any of there newer cars with push button starting, if you can believe that.

See less See more
#3 ·
Where is the fob when the problem happens? In a pocket? in a purse? next to a cell phone? (I ask mostly because I have no experience with the push button system) Is it possible that there is too much material or distance between the fob and the sensor for the RFID chip? Pay attention to exactly what is different each time it happens and the times when it does not happen. This includes any clothing worn (especially layers) if it is in the pocket and if it is in the bottom or top of the purse or next to or away from potential interference like the cell phone.

Although, the loose battery cable sounds like the most likely culprit.

#4 ·
Unless you're doing an override start or shut down, you shouldn't have to hold the push button... Just put your foot on the brake and tap the button once until the car starts. Also, make sure your foot isn't stepping on the gas pedal...

If you still have the problem, see if priming the fuel lines help. Without stepping on the brake, push the start button twice to "ON" so the dash lights up then wait till the fuel pump stops pumping about 1-2 seconds, then turn the car off, then do it one more time... Then put your foot on the brake and push the button to see if the car starts the first time.

#6 ·
I'm having same problem with 2017 Outback

I am having the same experience with my 2017 Outback. All the dealer said after having it in the shop for two days is that they couldn't reproduce the problem so don't know what to fix. The car is only 5 months old. Were you able to identify the problem and get it fixed? If so what was it and what did they fix?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.