dealer oil change - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Cypress Green 2.5 ltd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Just got back from my third oil change at my dealer. I have been using Subaru synthetic since 3,000 miles and have no noticeable usage, now going 4,500 between changes. Cost was $48.76. As I was waiting, a lady had come in with the emission control light on in her Forester. The service manager came out and told her she was over 7,000 miles past her oil change interval, and the variable cam timing valves had started to gum up! She was running regular oil, but I wonder if this could happen even with synthetic. Moral of the story, don't go over 14,500 miles without changing your oil!
Green LTD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2011, 08:13 AM   #12 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback Premium 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green LTD View Post
Just got back from my third oil change at my dealer. I have been using Subaru synthetic since 3,000 miles and have no noticeable usage, now going 4,500 between changes. Cost was $48.76. As I was waiting, a lady had come in with the emission control light on in her Forester. The service manager came out and told her she was over 7,000 miles past her oil change interval, and the variable cam timing valves had started to gum up! She was running regular oil, but I wonder if this could happen even with synthetic. Moral of the story, don't go over 14,500 miles without changing your oil!
It could happen with synthetic, but not as likely to. I wonder if he was considering her change interval to be 3k or 7.5k?
I feel 4500 miles is too soon to change synthetic. I would go at least 7500 miles - probably alot more once the warranty ran out.
RobMunach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2011, 08:40 AM   #13 (permalink)

I agree the change interval is on the conservative side, but especially in the winter the car idles to warm up and is driven only about 5 miles before being shut off a lot during the work week. Even during the summer it sees a lot of short trips.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited Graphite Gray Metallic with power moonroof, Auto dim rear view mirror & home link, Backup camera and Media hub
Smile Switch to synthetic oil at first service

I also plan to switch to snythetic oil at the 3000miles service. I currently do all the oil changes for my 06 Toyota Sienna and 00 Honda civic with synthetic oil. It works great and you never worry about oil degradation. I might let them do it in the first two years, then do it by my self after that. It is very easy thing to do and you do get better protection in winter with synthetic oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green LTD View Post
hongthan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2011, 11:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

I changed my own oil for 30+ years, and still do on my bike (synthetic), and after the warranty is up I may go back to it, but my Dealer always treats me right, and if they spot anything I might miss not having a hoist, they would let me know and fix it under warranty. (That, and I might not be as nimble as I once was.)
Old 09-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #16 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5i CVT
Default Change to recommending synthetic for 2012 Outbacks

After reading the post showing the change in the manual (section 12-5) I showed the changed language to my service manager and asked him to use synthetic in the complimentary first (3500 mile) oil change on my 2011 Outback 2.5. He was not aware of the change, but promised to "check on it" ... and he did. Subaru USA told him that the changed language in the on-line manual applies to 2012 Outbacks, but not to my 2011 model year ... even though the 2012 Outbacks will continue to use the same 2.5 liter engine used in the 2011 model year. Go figure. I guess I could have appealed to the next level, but the service manager had done his homework and was very courteous. I usually just change my own oil, but because it was a freebie and I was a little worried about documenting the all-important first oil change (and getting the painted-on gasket off the drain bolt) I supplied my own synthetic oil and they supplied the filter and did the complimentary oil change labor and a car wash.
SanfordOutback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2011, 07:25 AM   #17 (permalink)

Car: 2011 OB LTD 2.5i PZEVw/Sunroof Pkg/Cypress Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanfordOutback View Post
Subaru USA told him that the changed language in the on-line manual applies to 2012 Outbacks, but not to my 2011 model year.
The downloaded manual that has the "required" synthetic oil verbage is labeled in the "My Subaru" section of their website as the 2011 Owner's Manual. But even the older version of the manual that had "recommend" says that if you use non-synthetic oil to top off between changes that you should use synthetic at the next oil change - that seems to be about the same as saying required IMHO.

Edit - Thumbnail has no active links - just showing how Subaru labeled.
Attached Thumbnails
dealer oil change-my_subaru.jpg  
lloyd123 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 03:51 AM   #18 (permalink)

Everyone,

This is a scam. I own a couple of motorcycles and always use top grade Synthetic Oils in them, but it's mainly because I only change the oil once a year and synthetics can go longer without breaking down.

If you are going to change your oil every 3750 miles as recommended by Subie New England, use the regular oil -- you can get this done much cheaper.

The main advantage of synthetics is a longer oil change interval, but you don't want to do that while under warranty.

Another data point is that Honda cars with the excellent maintenance reminder that tells you when you need service only require oil changes every 7500 miles WITH CHEAP NON-SYNTHETIC OIL.

My point is, switch to synthetics when you want to go 15000 miles between changes, be good to the environment, and have less hassle -- but this interval could void the warranty.

One other point -- some seals in factory engines that are not designed for synthetics can leak if synthetics are used initially. If you are committed to using synthetics, don't use them for the first few changes until all the seals wear in.

This is my experience from 15+ years on motorcycle forums where religious type oil discussions go on all the time.

DW
MetroWestMA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #19 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback Limited

The current Hondas that use 0W20 or 5W20 are not the non-synthetic oils. If the Subaru manual recommends extended OCI of 7.5k for non severe usage then using synthetics at 7.5k should not void the warranty despite what the dealer says.
aggreX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #20 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback Premium 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWestMA View Post
Everyone,

This is a scam. I own a couple of motorcycles and always use top grade Synthetic Oils in them, but it's mainly because I only change the oil once a year and synthetics can go longer without breaking down.

If you are going to change your oil every 3750 miles as recommended by Subie New England, use the regular oil -- you can get this done much cheaper.

The main advantage of synthetics is a longer oil change interval, but you don't want to do that while under warranty.

Another data point is that Honda cars with the excellent maintenance reminder that tells you when you need service only require oil changes every 7500 miles WITH CHEAP NON-SYNTHETIC OIL.

My point is, switch to synthetics when you want to go 15000 miles between changes, be good to the environment, and have less hassle -- but this interval could void the warranty.

One other point -- some seals in factory engines that are not designed for synthetics can leak if synthetics are used initially. If you are committed to using synthetics, don't use them for the first few changes until all the seals wear in.

This is my experience from 15+ years on motorcycle forums where religious type oil discussions go on all the time.

DW
Even at extended drain intervals, a good synthetic ought to extend engine life and reduce oil consumption. This probably will not make a difference until you are over 150k miles, however. It also makes the engine run cooler due to better heat transfer abilities and will also increase your mileage (a tiny amount). I did once a year oil changes in our 2001 Forester with AMSOIL and it would barely use any between changes. We sold it with 175k miles and it ran like the day it was new - with original head gaskets.
RobMunach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: