Tire Pressure Monitoring System Problem in new 2011 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Tire Pressure Monitoring System Problem in new 2011

We just got our new 2011 OB on Tuesday and now the TPM light is on. The light is on from the moment you start the car and doesn't go off while driving. According to the manual the TPMS is only activated at 20 mph and up. Since our light is on from the moment the car is started do we have an issue with the TPM system? I'm taking the car into the dealer tomorrow to look at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conshek View Post
We just got our new 2011 OB on Tuesday and now the TPM light is on. The light is on from the moment you start the car and doesn't go off while driving. According to the manual the TPMS is only activated at 20 mph and up. Since our light is on from the moment the car is started do we have an issue with the TPM system? I'm taking the car into the dealer tomorrow to look at.
Have you taken a couple of minutes to check the tire pressure on all 4 tires?
If the pressure matches the listed pressures on the plate just inside the drivers door then yes your dealer should probably take a look.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 03:20 PM

Have you checked your tire pressure?

Quote:
We just got our new 2011 OB on Tuesday and now the TPM light is on. The light is on from the moment you start the car and doesn't go off while driving. According to the manual the TPMS is only activated at 20 mph and up. Since our light is on from the moment the car is started do we have an issue with the TPMS system? I'm taking the car into the dealer tomorrow to look at.
Have you actually checked the tire pressure - I think it's 33psi front and 32 rear.
TPMS light ILLUMINATES if your tire pressure is low. If the tire pressure is correct, then the vehicle could have faulty sensors especially depending on the build date of the car.

Last edited by AbleRiot; 09-23-2011 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Off to ILLUMINATES
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 03:34 PM

Car: 2011 Outback 3.6R Limited
just curious by any chance did you get a different set of wheels as part of the sale and they forgot to install the TPMS sensors?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 03:40 PM

Car: Outback 2.5l, 6-spd - Silver Metallic
My TMPS system tripped this morning, outside temp was 57 degrees. It tripped previously over Labor day weekend, we were experience outside of temps well below 57 degrees then as well. Is it a coincidence? I don't think so.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Actual pressure seems fine. No new tires with the car. I've only driven it about 10 miles since we got it. The weather is in the upper 70's and humid so cold can't be a factor.

I've come across some posts that mentioned that the front tires needed to be about 35 or the light would come on. Don't know if that's the case or not. I was confused by the manual since it stated that the system is only active when driving 20mph or more and mine is on from the start.

The build date on the car is AUG 2011.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 04:03 PM

Location: Sometimes in Colorado - Sometimes in Pennsylvania - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor
Car: 2014 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Graphite ---- 'Rehomed' 2012 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Deep Indigo Pearl - Could be a Black Bumper Masonite car ---- "RIP" 2010 Outback - 2.5 CVT - Silver - So's my hair - what's left.
Quote:
Actual pressure seems fine. No new tires with the car. I've only driven it about 10 miles since we got it. The weather is in the upper 70's and humid so cold can't be a factor.
How do you measure 'seems'. Tires can look OK but be very low - pressure wise.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 04:09 PM

If the tires are soft ie low on pressure to start with - cold night time temps can drop the pressure just enough to trip the sensors. They do not measure pressure they are set to a certain pressure and once that pressure drops below that threashhold they trip the light.

You need to actually physically use a pressure gauge to check each tire. The whole point of the tire pressure system is to tell the driver that the tires are under inflated and pose a safety risk.

Given the car is brandnew very slim chance that you have a faulty TPMS in one of the tires - the most probable cause is that the tires are soft ie have lower than acceptable tire pressure in them.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 05:13 PM

Tire pressure depending on tire size

Everything you need to know to take the next action is here:
First paragraph on the left column and the darker column to the right. Pay attention to the TPMS light at ignition start.

If you did physically check your tires with a pressure gauge you have a faulty TPMS monitor.

Last edited by AbleRiot; 09-23-2011 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Corrected Dyslexia...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 07:27 PM

Car: 2011 Outback Limited 2.5 Cypress Green
Altogether now TPMS, TPMS, TPMS, TPMS, not TMPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: