Music with USB - Page 4 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #31 (permalink)

Car: '12 Outback 3.6R Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Dan View Post
I just bought a 2012 Outback Limited with the Harmon-Kardon sound system. I have about 13GB of music on a Kingston 16GB Flash Drive. I do not have a problem with it not starting where it left off when the vehicle is restarted, and I have tried two
different Kingston 16GB flash drives. I have a hard time believing that Sandisk flash drives behave differently than Kingston flash drives.

I did read in the manual that 2.0 flash drives are not supported, but my 2.0 flash drive does play without any problems.

The problem I have is that only half of my music is available for playback (it only lists about 50%). I read the manual, and it says there is a limit of 512 folders (or some number like that). So I went through my music and removed extra folders (removed album name folders). Having only 450 folders now, and still 13GB of music, all my music still wasn't listed (it now showed about 65%, which was an improvement, but still not satisfactory). Slightly less than 8GB of music can be played.

I took my flash drive to the dealership and tested another Limited, and had the same results. In the Limited with the navigation unit, all of my music was available for playback. So, apparently (and the salesman was able to confirm this), the HK sound system with the navigation unit has more memory than the HK system without the navigator.

I think this is a huge disappointment for a sound system in a 2012 vehicle. Many people have more than 8GB of music.
I believe I've run into the same limitation with my Kenwood head unit in my Civic. Granted I bought the HU a few years back when the USB HU was a relatively new feature, but when I fill up my 16GB drive all the way, I start losing folders. If I delete some albums (folders), I get the missing folders back. I haven't been able to find a spec that says there is a file limit, but I'm hitting some sort of limit. I have yet to try it in the OB besides a quick test of the feature during the test drive and my wife streams via BT.
VicVinegar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #32 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Quote:
Thai, I posted this same reply in the General Forum:

How do you have your phone plugged in? USB port? Your phone has a music player built in, so it is not the same as a flash drive. I would think you would have to operate the music player on your phone, no matter how it is connected.

I can play all of my music with my phone via Blue-tooth, or with my MP3 player connected to the Aux port. I just like having a flash drive connected, because I don't have to turn it on and off, I can see what song is playing on the display, and can advance to the next song using the steering wheel control. Can you do that with your phone?
USB. Nope, with USB, i just plug it in and control everything from the headunit...all info (artist, album, etc.) are displayed on the HU. In fact, i cannot access the music player at all on my iPhone while USB is connected. And my iPhone is charged while connected too. And when a phone call comes in, the HU automatically switches to BT phone.

Almost all 2010 OEM headunits (with USB) from most car manufacturers are designed for Apple products and interface. So, if anything, if i were you, then i would consider getting an iPod or whatever it is that Apple has for music. But, i can tell you definitively that my iPhone 4S works as advertised with the OB's non-navi headunit.

My Subaru: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...i-limited.html

"Please don't let my IQ drop from reading your post like Osama's body after a double tap!"
Thai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #33 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback 2.5i Limited

Thanks for the information, but I am nowhere near desperate enough to buy an Apple product. I think it sucks that the media and manufacturers think Apple is the only product consumers have. I bought an audio/video receiver last year, and it is designed for iPods, not any other MP3 players. I may be wrong, but aren't there more Android phone owners than iPhone owners? Although my Android doesn't tell me what to wear in the morning, it has better specs than any iPhone.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Apple products don't play WMA music files, and they don't allow you to directly manipulate music files on the device, like other MP3 players. Don't you have to use iTunes? The majority of my music has been copied from CDs into WMA files on my Windows PC. I also maintain more than one music library, and can back up my music to flash drives. Can iTunes do that?
Cincinnati Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #34 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box

Quote:
Thanks for the information, but I am nowhere near desperate enough to buy an Apple product. I think it sucks that the media and manufacturers think Apple is the only product consumers have. I bought an audio/video receiver last year, and it is designed for iPods, not any other MP3 players. I may be wrong, but aren't there more Android phone owners than iPhone owners? Although my Android doesn't tell me what to wear in the morning, it has better specs than any iPhone.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Apple products don't play WMA music files, and they don't allow you to directly manipulate music files on the device, like other MP3 players. Don't you have to use iTunes? The majority of my music has been copied from CDs into WMA files on my Windows PC. I also maintain more than one music library, and can back up my music to flash drives. Can iTunes do that?
I heard some manufacturers are coming out with headunits that have Android support. I agree that I'll take my Android phone over an iPhone any day. I won't deny that Apple's hardware is typically very well-made, but IMO both the iOS and Mac OS X operating systems leave a LOT to be desired. It frustrates me that Windows (and maybe certain Linux Distros/desktop environments have too--haven't tried too many recently) is taking navigation cues from Apple.

New one:
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Box TRD Sport
Bone Stock for Now
jp1203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #35 (permalink)

I currently have both (Nexus S 4G & 4S)...and much prefer Apple. Android is too unstable and inefficient...Android has to throw big processor cores, big battery, and lots of RAM to mask the deficiencies. Despite being almost a year old with only 512 RAM and underclocked processor, 4S still hangs or even beats HTC X and newer Android phones in USA. Apple makes good performance by efficient engineering of its software.

Btw I have tons of music on iPhone that came from CDs...copied directly from CD.

"Please don't let my IQ drop from reading your post like Osama's body after a double tap!"
Old 06-08-2012, 04:42 AM   #36 (permalink)
Dzd

I agree apple phones get a lot of attention in the aftermarket world I happen to enjoy my apple dock connector ecosystem where I can charge and play my devices from my car system to My home system to my Mac. However, I think apple is about to make a mistake by replacing the dock connector with a new mini model.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Dzd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 05:47 AM   #37 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback 2.5i Limited

Sorry to dog iPhones, but I am just sick to death over the "i" thing and the media attention Apple's devices get. I believe most people buy iPhones because they are brainwashed into believing that is their only option.

I have never used iTunes, but I gave a friend some WMA music files on a flash drive, and he said iTunes wouldn't add them to his iPod. Did you copy your CDs to iTunes using a Mac computer? WMA files are created from CDs on a Windows PC. Does a Mac create MP4 (ACC) files from CDs?

My Outback will play the music off of my Android via Blue-Tooth. I have never tried it using the USB port.

I don't understand flash drive playback via the USB port. I have deleted files and folders and not seen any additional music available for playback. When I had 13GB of music on it, almost 8GB was available. Now that I have 8GB of music on it, only about 60% of it is available for playback. I don't know if it somehow remembers my library, and assumes it hasn't changed. I have tried other flash drives with different music libraries, then tried my original flash drive again, but had no luck. I am going to experiment to see what happens if I delete the first few folders, to see if it is a recognition thing.
Cincinnati Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 06:27 AM   #38 (permalink)

I am all PC...no Mac! Actually, because of my love for PC, I owned Android before iPhone...i only recently got an iPhone. Once you use iOS, you will see just how backwards Android is...or how counterintuitive it is. I have ICS (4.0.4) on my Nexus...editing a contact on it is so mind boggling!!

Old 06-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
I think it sucks that the media and manufacturers think Apple is the only product consumers have. I bought an audio/video receiver last year, and it is designed for iPods, not any other MP3 players. I may be wrong, but aren't there more Android phone owners than iPhone owners? Although my Android doesn't tell me what to wear in the morning, it has better specs than any iPhone.
iPhone and iPods made music-on-the-go popular...so, manufacturers designed their OEM system around Apple stuff. Yes, there are plenty of Android users nowadays...and the newest OEM stuff accounts for this, such as Toyota Entune system.

My Prius NAVI won't even recognize an Android phone when connected via USB. My HK system (on OB) does recognize my Nexus S phone but the folders are not as elegant as on my iPhone.

I would try to transfer music to your Android phone and plug it in via USB!

Old 06-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #40 (permalink)

Car: '12 Outback 3.6R Limited

Quote:
Sorry to dog iPhones, but I am just sick to death over the "i" thing and the media attention Apple's devices get. I believe most people buy iPhones because they are brainwashed into believing that is their only option.

I have never used iTunes, but I gave a friend some WMA music files on a flash drive, and he said iTunes wouldn't add them to his iPod. Did you copy your CDs to iTunes using a Mac computer? WMA files are created from CDs on a Windows PC. Does a Mac create MP4 (ACC) files from CDs?

My Outback will play the music off of my Android via Blue-Tooth. I have never tried it using the USB port.

I don't understand flash drive playback via the USB port. I have deleted files and folders and not seen any additional music available for playback. When I had 13GB of music on it, almost 8GB was available. Now that I have 8GB of music on it, only about 60% of it is available for playback. I don't know if it somehow remembers my library, and assumes it hasn't changed. I have tried other flash drives with different music libraries, then tried my original flash drive again, but had no luck. I am going to experiment to see what happens if I delete the first few folders, to see if it is a recognition thing.
I have a Macbook Pro and an iPod Touch, but still use the plain old USB drive in my daily driver. You can just set iTunes to rip CDs to mp3 rather than AAC. The "i" world can't read WMA though, so I still have some old rips that were on my old XP/Linux Mint machine that I still need to convert to mp3. Even most of the music on my old computer were mp3 though since I knew I didn't want to be locked into WMA or AAC.

And for a phone, I still use a Palm Pixi....so I really am tough to label. I'd keep the Pixi (I like the keyboard, and I get a free 5GB hotspot with it) too if Verizon weren't forcing everyone to get onboard with 4G now, or never have unlimited 4G. Once they announce it, I'll probably get a Galaxy S3 or Galaxy Nexus even though I don't want something that big. The size of Android phones is why my wife switched to a 4s. She liked Android with her Droid Incredible, but all the new phones are huge, so she got an iPhone because it fits in her hand.
VicVinegar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: