Subaru Outback Forums banner

Media Hub Installation Pictorial

19K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  OBnube 
#1 ·
Decided I needed the ipod control function in the dash and steering wheel. With the Ipod classic it resumes play at the spot I left off. Additionally, the Ipod eq (bass boost) has greatly enhanced the HK system for my damaged earholes.

So I am stoked on the results, but the price was a bit high at $228.11 before shipping at Subaru Online Parts. A member on another thread posted a link for a Subaru compatible hub/controller for less than half that.

Here are pics and a few install tips for any of the 2010-2011 owners who didn't buy cars with the hub and are on the fence about an install - if there is anyone out there.

If no one uses this pictorial, here is to wasting time in blogworld.
I figured the install was easier than trading in my 11 for a 12.

The Subie install instructions are pretty good. Tape off the trim and use some soft trim removal tools to avoid scratches. Also go slow to avoid snapping off the trim clips. There are no push pins except on the radio antennae.

Shifter knob trim easily slides down and the pin comes off easy then just lift out the shifter.

Gear shifter trim panel and cubby rubber removed.

Clips on the consol end of shifter trim panel -pry and pop nice and easy. Slide it forward.

Disconnect any electronic harness connections.

All taped up so it doesn't get f'd up.

Carefully pull the side panel.

Pop out the push pin and unharness the grey antennae cord connected to the pinned connector.

This plastic fantastic dash trim is in tight. Starting at the bottom right and working up slowly yielded the desired results (undamaged trim clips and no scratches on the fancy fake metal).

Slow and steady from the bottom to the top on the drivers side.

The top left corner was the trickiest coming of and going back on, but the clips released without too much resistance. There are three clips on each side as you can see in the installation manual. Trust.

Unscrew the 4 bolts and unclip the pinned connectors and you are halfway there.

Don't be a dummy like me. Put some tape on your display just in case.

Around $700 to buy a replacment head at your dealer.

Remove the two scews that are doing nothing.

Pop the push clips on the back of the old audio jack. Push it into the consol storage area and then toss it in the trash unless you know some electronics recyclers who will take plastic and metal junk.

Pop in the new USB hub piece - click.

Ready for the USB/Controller Bracket.

Bracket and controller ready for install.

Bracket installed with 4 screws (loctited) and USB locked into controller and then routed along wiring harness and zip tied. Routed under HVAC ven and over the steel dash frame structure.

USB zip tied along wiring below shifter running towards consol and USB hub connection. Pass it under the small amount of carpet.

Lock the USB into the hub and ziptie out the slack.

If you have a SAT receiver, the pinned connectore piggbacks onto the Ipod controller pinned connector. Easy.

Route the antennae back and click it back into the harness and the push pin into the trim.

You can't mess up. Click, click, click, click, click, click done.

R

Almost there.

Click that antennae back into the connector and trim.

Make sure the Hub works before you button it up.

Pop in the Gear Shifter Trim, shifter trim piece, the shift knob and the pin.

Back in Black.

Sounds great. Better then the original audio jack and much safer to select music while on the go. The ipod eq choices help and it resumes play right where it left off when the car was shut down. It doesn't go back to the begining of the playlist with the Ipod classic.

Haven't tried the flash stick yet, but IMO it is still way better than cds and slightly better than MP3 discs which can be a PITA to navigate like the flash memory. Whatever. I am pleased with the archaic little controller hub. It is a definite boost in the audio department for my ears and enjoyment. Nice to have the whole library at my fingertips.:29:

See less See more
Reactions: Johnny325
#4 ·
Question I received a PM on. All trim was removed with plastic trim pull tools being careful not to bust the tabs and push pins.

#6 ·
Thanks.

I hadn't been on Subaruoutback.org a year and had a PM about trim removal on the dash. I went to find the thread and found a dead link which was reason for the bump.

Those stereos are like dinosaurs now with everything touchscreen, bluetooth, etc., but mine still works fine with the I-whatever. The usb stick option is a PITA. Anyone figured out how to keep the thing from going back to the first file when

I also use the Sirius 6 month deals to go satellite when they send me an offer 6 months for $30. Last one I purchased was 5 months for $20. Not bad if you don't have a data plan and stream pandora to some other music stream instead of sirius.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.