Subaru Outback Forums banner

Replacing timing belt. Should I replace drive belt, too?

17K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  DoctorMemory 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 Outback w/ 2.5L with 111K miles on it. Realized this weekend that I somehow made it past the 105K interval to replace timing belt. I called a few places.

Dealer closest to me wants $1600 - TB, tensioner, idlers, water pump. Holy crap.

Dealer 2 said anywhere from "six and a quarter up to $1400 depending on what they find" - said they almost never need to replace water pump, and sometimes don't see a need to replace the tensioner and idlers. Hmm.

Independent mechanic (highly regarded) said $750-800 for (Gates) belt, tensioner, idlers.

I'm going with independent guy. I am thinking about having them do a few other things while I have the car in there.

Definitely going to have them change the front and rear diff fluid, as I've never done that. Should I go ahead and have them replace the drive/accessory belt too? I see the interval to replace is at 120K...so that's a half year away, give or take given the amount of driving I do. What's the consensus here on replacing CVT fluid? Lifetime seems so...trusting.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd replace the accessory drive belt, as long as you're in there....
IMHO lifetime fluid means it stays in there till the transmission dies, and that's its life. Since this is my first experience with CVT, I'm a little paranoid (not consensus) so I'm changing CVT fluid on the severe service schedule. I expect the transmission to last longer than the life of the fluid.

#7 ·
It's my understanding the water pump is driven by the timing chain (for 3.6R) or timing belt (for 2.5i) in these.

Accessory belt would be running the alternator, power-steering, and A/C compressor. Losing it would mean limited time to keep going (until battery runs down and can't power computers/ignition system when everything will suddenly quit), stiff steering, and no A/C no defrost.

My 3.6R they said at 105K the accessory belt and everything still looks fine so I'm going to wait for now...but I don't have a timing belt so there's nothing to take apart right now.

As for the 2.5i - I assume you have to remove the accessory belt to get access to the timing belt? If that's true then why put the old one back (you're doing all the labor). Same with the water pump, if you have it all apart it's just a cheap part almost nothing additional labor once you take all the other stuff apart for the timing belt.

#5 ·
If anyplace ever suggest ONLY the belt and not the tensioners, etc....don't let them touch your car.

Reactions: PRGMC
#8 ·
Thanks for the advice! I'll go ahead and have them do CVT fluid and drive belt as well.

For grins, I wrote the Subaru dealer where I purchased my first Outback. I thought they ran a good, honest business. However, they're over 3 hours away from me now. Anyway, I asked their price to replace TB, tensioner, and idler pulleys. He said around $895 + tax.

It's maddening to see the price differences from dealer a to b to c.

#10 ·
Thanks for the note, GrossGary. It's good to get added confirmation and suggestions. This car has been relatively pain free in its first 100+K miles. Showing some extra love now is worth it to keep it going for several more years.

"If yours has the plastic drive belt pulley - i'd replace that as well. I forget when they used those."

Thanks - what's the easiest way to find out if my engine has it or not - is it easy to see or will I have to remove something to check?

#11 ·
I could be wrong, but the Factory Service Manual (FSM) for my 2013 Outback Premium 2.5i says that the HB25 engine in it has a timing chain, not a timing belt.

Furthermore, the Subaru Drive Magazine states that the Boxer engines in Gen 4 Oubacks, 2010 and later are equipped with timing chains, not timing belts.

If the water pump is driven by a serpentine belt, it has a timing chain, not a timing belt.

If the water pump is NOT driven by a serpentine belt, it has a timing belt, not a timing chain.

Free Japan Cars Factory Service Manuals
http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subar...egacy FSM 2013 (BM-BR)/Legacy - Outback/2013/

#12 ·
I could be wrong, but the Factory Service Manual (FSM) for my 2013 Outback Premium 2.5i says that the HB25 engine in it has a timing chain, not a timing belt.

Furthermore, the Subaru Drive Magazine states that the Boxer engines in Gen 4 Oubacks, 2010 and later are equipped with timing chains, not timing belts.

If the water pump is driven by a serpentine belt, it has a timing chain, not a timing belt.

If the water pump is NOT driven by a serpentine belt, it has a timing belt, not a timing chain.

Free Japan Cars Factory Service Manuals
Index of /Auto/Japan/Subaru/Legacy Outback/2013/USDM Legacy FSM 2013 (BM-BR)/Legacy - Outback/2013
I think it depends on the year for the 2.5i.

My 2012 manual clearly says the 2.5i in 2012 has a timing belt replacement needed at 105K. I think soon after they did go to a chain in the "newer" engine as gen4 was winding down.

#16 ·
Keep in mind this is a very platform specific issue I'm not just randomly crying wolf about 'bearings'.

That said it's so clear and rather cheap and simple and easy I wouldn't bother worrying about a used car. There's almost no pint in asking, it's not routine maintenance and if they replaced one they probably didn't replace both. Of course check, but it would be odd for them both to be replaced.

1. Ask them to replace them as a courtesy. Maybe even show up with or ask if you can provide the two bearings and ask if they'll install them. They're easily bought on Amazon or any store, they're ubiquitous.

2. If that doesn't work then just replace them as soon as you get the vehicle and every 60,000-ish miles. Again the high failure rate, simple repair, and being inexpensive makes it a no brained. I'd probably do it for you if you were close though I generally avoid and detest pay for work.

They vary wildly in longevity, so they can make plenty longer miles, but I've seen enough fail under 75k I don't like waiting that long.

One low mileage JDM engine I bought had a massively disintegrated pulley with melted rubber and plastics and bearings and shredded metal everywhere. Probably was pulled for that reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.